Chuck E. Cheese eyeing former Rick's Cafe Boatyard

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

T-Gibb

Chuck E. Cheese eyeing former Rick's Cafe Boatyard

Post by T-Gibb »

"CEC Entertainment of Irving Texas, owners of the 500-store Chuck E. Cheese pizza chain have expressed interest in the site occupied by the former Rick's Cafe Boatyard. A spokesperson with CEC was quoted, "We recognize that in
the revitalization and growth seen in the North Downtown Omaha, a place that caters to the 3-12 year old demographic is lacking. We would like to partner with the city of Omaha to strengthen the connection between North Downtown and the Missouri River."

CEC is seeking to demolish the existing structure and rebuild on the current site with an 80 seat dining room with 3 adjacent 15-to-40 seat private rooms that could be joined to each other to make for a larger private space as well as their ability to be joined to the main dining room space.

"We see this as a worthy addition to service venues at the Century Link Center and TD Ameritrade Park. In addition, we offer to parents an entertainment product that the current restaurant establishments don't and for visitor's in the Old Market, an alternative. The hotels within a mile of our future location will no doubt have guests with children that would enjoy our festive atmosphere."

CEC Entertainment is currently engaged with City of Omaha officials in talks about these plans. The city is also engaged with two other private firms also interested in the location. This is in addition to Rick's corporate offices in Indianapolis that have been working with the city since the restaurant closed ostensibly for remodeling."

Post by Guest »

Why demolish and build?  Is there not another open lot in North Downtown?
Troll

Post by Troll »

I smell a troll
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

lol omg yes.
can we have an outside trampoline for tossing children in the river to die 'cause I hate kids. ew.

Post by Guest »

This definately sounds like a troll.    Not even half believable.  If it doesn't re-open as some kind of a restaurant, I was thinking, wouldn't that building make a nice visitor center for the city of Omaha?    They could have a visitor information area with some nice clean restrooms, an area with some kind of dining option, and maybe a place where they rent bicycles.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

justnick wrote:lol omg yes.
can we have an outside trampoline for tossing children in the river to die 'cause I hate kids. ew.
Only if we can have a bigger one to launch hipsters into the river.

Think what the fishing would be like in Bellevue, with all that food washing down stream, human flesh previously fed only on fairly traded organic half-caf soy lattes and organic locally sourced veggie burgers, the catfish and carp would be HUGE!

:popcorn:   :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

L&C Landing Concert Series featuring the Wiggles.

Post by Guest »

Coyote wrote:L&C Landing Concert Series featuring the Wiggles.
With the The Rock-afire Explosion opening.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Rock Afire Explosion puts it down.

[youtube][/youtube]
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Rock Afire Explosion puts it down.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is beautiful.
T-Gibb

You're trolling yourself.

Post by T-Gibb »

Troll wrote:I smell a troll
Pull your head out and you won't be smelling yourself.
I double checked with a member of the Planning Department and they verified that CEC is still talking to the city. And she said that the guy that owned the Surfside Club is also interested in the property. So that makes for 4 interested parties.

Post by Guest »

This is stupid. There will never be a Chuck e Cheese on that site. And they wouldn't be working with the city right now, anyway, seeing as how it would be a private purchase, no re-zoning or anything more than a construction permit required.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:This is stupid. There will never be a Chuck e Cheese on that site. And they wouldn't be working with the city right now, anyway, seeing as how it would be a private purchase, no re-zoning or anything more than a construction permit required.
But isn't the site owned by the city?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It will be their new Concept

Check E Cheese Night Club.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Will Steve Minard be a primary investor?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:Will Steve Minard be a primary investor?
It's a Townsend project.  30-60 days.

Post by Guest »

Lets just rip the place out and build an observation tower in its place or something to draw people down to the river.   We could copy the Space Needle in Seattle.   How cool would that look?   Seriously, I still like the idea of turning it into a visitor center, but I guess nobody else likes that idea.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This has got to be a joke.  I can't think of any other part of town that is so devoid of households with children.  The thought of dropping them all in the river does have a sort of appeal, however.    :;):
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Anonymous wrote:Lets just rip the place out and build an observation tower in its place or something to draw people down to the river.   We could copy the Space Needle in Seattle.   How cool would that look?   Seriously, I still like the idea of turning it into a visitor center, but I guess nobody else likes that idea.
Anonymous wrote:Lets just rip the place out and build an observation tower in its place or something to draw people down to the river.   We could copy the Space Needle in Seattle.   How cool would that look?   Seriously, I still like the idea of turning it into a visitor center, but I guess nobody else likes that idea.
(dramatic musical flourish)

http://www.rchjr.com/vortex1.htm

BWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What the city needs to do is have a locally owned "signature" restaurant operate on Omaha's riverfront.  It would be foolish to turn the keys over to some out of town operation.  This is Omaha's front door, for goodness sakes.  It establishes people's impressions of the city.  Rick's was a huge mistake, a slow motion meltdown.  Lets not repeat the mistake.
rumorcentral

Post by rumorcentral »

nativeomahan wrote:What the city needs to do is have a locally owned "signature" restaurant operate on Omaha's riverfront.  It would be foolish to turn the keys over to some out of town operation.  This is Omaha's front door, for goodness sakes.  It establishes people's impressions of the city.  Rick's was a huge mistake, a slow motion meltdown.  Lets not repeat the mistake.
Then why go small (local) again?

At any rate, the current option is not small or local.  Not sure how firm or likely it is.  
You will be able to get a good, but very expensive, steak there.

Post by Guest »

Well, that's good. I have no idea where else I would get an expensive steak in Omaha. And the chuck e cheese, rumor was ridiculous.