New Downtown HQ

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Fromaha
Home Owners Association

New Downtown HQ

Post by Fromaha »

Mayor Stothert stumps in north Omaha, gets an earful in return
By Juan Perez Jr. / World-Herald staff writer
“When companies need to hear from me, they will hear from me,” she said, adding there was a “99 percent chance” that a widely known company will soon announce plans to locate its corporate headquarters downtown.
Not sure if anyone has any additional information on this, but it will be interesting to see what she is referencing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just read that too... Interesting!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You beat me to it also. I was hoping this was not just a throw away line. any guesses on who she might be referring to?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It all hinges on the defintion of "soon"
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:It all hinges on the defintion of "soon"
Well, I guess this will define Stothert's understanding of soon, 30-90 days soon, or an indefinite, I have no idea soon...
Curious

True?

Post by Curious »

The Rumors section was the first place I came to check and see what she was referencing.  Surprising that there isn't even a hint of information here on the boards.  This place usually have info before anywhere else.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If soon is long enough then the 99% sure will be accurate at some point.  Just hoping soon is 3 months or something
Lincoln Logger

Post by Lincoln Logger »

I bet it's going to be a corporate village, not a corporate tower.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Lincoln Logger wrote:I bet it's going to be a corporate village, not a corporate tower.
A European Corporate Village with a Theme Park?
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bet it WILL NOT be TD Amaratrade
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If it is a 'corporate village', where is there enough room to constitute the location being considered as Downtown, except for the Shamrock development?
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Let's assume its a local company. What type of local company would be high profile enough for a new headquarters to attract industry to 16th locust? My only thought is Kiewit.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:If it is a 'corporate village', where is there enough room to constitute the location being considered as Downtown, except for the Shamrock development?
The land north east of the baseball stadium maybe?

No idea.

If anything I would bet on another Gavilon style building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:The land north east of the baseball stadium maybe?.
That would be prime land... If they relocated that oil field, and I have never heard any rumors of that even being considered. The only renovation for that area has been the concept of an outdoor amphitheater.  :roll:
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:If it is a 'corporate village', where is there enough room to constitute the location being considered as Downtown, except for the Shamrock development?
The land north east of the baseball stadium maybe?

No idea.

If anything I would bet on another Gavilon style building.
I'd take that over a seldom-used, weedy parking lot. Hopefully its an outside company that will make a big splash with a sizeable new building that will have a big economic impact. Time will tell.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The land north east of the baseball stadium maybe?.
That would be prime land... If they relocated that oil field, and I have never heard any rumors of that even being considered. The only renovation for that area has been the concept of an outdoor amphitheater.  :roll:

The land bounded by 11th and Seward I guess is what I was thinking, but that's near the tracks. Whoops. My mind is...gone.

Maybe it's going on the land that was supposed to be used by "Wall Street Tower" (with a name like that, no wonder the project crashed...)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Pacific Life tower!   :;):

Seriously that is cool news.  I hope it comes out in the year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Didn't Berkshire have news about Geico recently? How about Geico HQ's
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:Didn't Berkshire have news about Geico recently? How about Geico HQ's
Buffett was recently in Buffalo, NY to announce an expansion of GEICO's presence there...thousands of employees.

GEICO is HQd in Chevy Chase, MD.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GEICO ... arters.jpg

He's never been one to move anything to Omaha.  Not one for nepotism.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:The Pacific Life tower!   :;):

Seriously that is cool news.  I hope it comes out in the year.
I currently work for Pacific Life and while their domicile headquarters are in Omaha, I don't believe there are any plans to build a new building downtown.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Well again, it's a thing that would attract manufacturing... well... I doubt they would move downtown but Werner?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would hope for a relocated HQ bringing 'new' jobs to DT Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Exactly.  Hopefully it a new to Omaha company or a company with a small presence that wants to have a big presence.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm not sure what to make of what was mentioned in that article... I'm more inclined to think it was wishful thinking, if anything...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Post by Guest »

Posting as a guest since I'm not sure this is too public yet, but Ardent has chosen Denver
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Anonymous wrote:Posting as a guest since I'm not sure this is too public yet, but Ardent has chosen Denver
I thought they were choosing between the Twin Cities, KC, and Omaha. Where did Denver come from?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Post by Guest »

Today we shared the exciting news that the headquarters location for Ardent Mills will be the Denver, Colo., metropolitan area upon completion of the transaction, expected in late calendar 2013. We carefully considered several locations in our search, including the Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Omaha areas. Though each of those locations has a lot to offer, the leadership team and Steering Committee came to the unanimous conclusion that the Denver area is the best location for Ardent Mills’ employees, customers and business. We realize this decision may come as a surprise to some of you, but the benefits of the Denver metro truly excite us and open the door for many new opportunities.  Please visit the employee section of ArdentMills.com to view a video message from Dan Dye and me.
Denver supports the Ardent Mills Way. Being based here will provide employees the opportunity to enjoy the exceptional quality of life that Denver offers. It also allows us to provide excellent service to our customers and positions the business for long-term growth.  

• From an employee perspective, Denver and the surrounding area is consistently ranked by the likes of BusinessWeek and Money Magazine as one of the best places to live, raise a family and live an active lifestyle. Denver is also consistently recognized a center of arts and culture, for the beautiful outdoor scenery as well as access to great sporting events, to name just a few of Denver’s great qualities.
• From a customer perspective, several customers of both Horizon Milling and ConAgra Mills have large operations in the Denver area, which will allow us to stay close to their innovation pipeline. Additionally, Denver’s central location, size and convenient airport access will allow us to continue our successful customer relationships.
• From a business perspective, Denver is known for its strong business climate. ConAgra Mills and Horizon Milling have long-term relationships with farmers in Colorado that will build a solid foundation for the future Ardent Mills. We will continue to leverage strong connections with Ardent Mills’ parent companies.
While the majority of Ardent Mills’ non-plant employees will be based in the Denver metro area, Ardent Mills also expects to operate satellite offices in Omaha, Minneapolis and Wichita. Maintaining close ties with the parent companies through the Denver headquarters and these satellite offices is important.

Headquarters Location Considerations
In making the decision, the steering team for Ardent Mills used a methodical process that took many factors into consideration, including:
• Attraction of talent, retention and development. We understand that the success of Ardent Mills will be driven by its people.  
• Ensuring that the headquarters location is consistent with establishing the culture of Ardent Mills through the vision and values we’ve already shared.
• Accessibility and support for our future customer base.
• The ability to maintain appropriate connection points to the parent companies – ConAgra Foods, Cargill and CHS. While Ardent Mills will be independent, we have three strong parent companies that we will work closely with to maximize appropriate opportunities.
• Finally, the ability to minimize the complexity and cost of running the business.

Relocation
• Relocation benefits at various levels are still being worked out for those who accept positions in Denver.
• Although relocation details have not been finalized, these benefits will be market-competitive, to make potential transitions as easy as possible for employees and their families moving to the Denver area.
• We will share that information as the relocation time gets closer.

Key Takeaways

I understand that times of change can be challenging as well as exciting. During this time, please keep in mind the following:
• We do not yet know the details about employee selection processes in the headquarters or satellite functions.
• We ask for your patience as we work through this process, and we are committed to providing timely updates as we solidify plans.
• Please speak with your manager or supervisor if you have any questions.
• Additional updates will be available on ArdentMills.com.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Aw shoot.

The Bride
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I guess Stothert's 99% prediction didn't work out   - Hope she is not wrong all the time like this or hope she is talking about another project  :cry:
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

ConAgra Foods, Cargill and CHS announced that their proposed new joint venture flour milling company, Ardent Mills, will establish its headquarters in the Denver metropolitan area, contingent upon final application and approval of state and local incentives. The transaction is expected to be completed in late calendar year 2013, after regulatory clearances, financing and the satisfaction of customary closing conditions.

An office location and operating date has not yet been set for the new headquarters, but the new company is expected to have a presence in the Denver area starting in 2014.

In addition to its Denver-area presence, Ardent Mills expects to operate satellite offices in Omaha, Neb., and Minneapolis, Minn.
http://journalstar.com/ap/business/cona ... 14f23.html
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
ConAgra Foods, Cargill and CHS announced that their proposed new joint venture flour milling company, Ardent Mills, will establish its headquarters in the Denver metropolitan area, contingent upon final application and approval of state and local incentives. The transaction is expected to be completed in late calendar year 2013, after regulatory clearances, financing and the satisfaction of customary closing conditions.

An office location and operating date has not yet been set for the new headquarters, but the new company is expected to have a presence in the Denver area starting in 2014.

In addition to its Denver-area presence, Ardent Mills expects to operate satellite offices in Omaha, Neb., and Minneapolis, Minn.
Well in that case, Stothert is only partially wrong. I hope it goes downtown, and this might sound odd, but I hope they take office space in an existing building. I would prefer any open lot to go to something that will build up a little more.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Denver being a hub for the food & food processing industry.

I could understand Omaha, MSP & KC....I am not going to do a whole research project on this but it could be that they were recruiting someone for a pretty high role & he said ok but I get to live in Denver...

I could be wrong.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omaha_Gabe wrote:

Well in that case, Stothert is only partially wrong. I hope it goes downtown, and this might sound odd, but I hope they take office space in an existing building. I would prefer any open lot to go to something that will build up a little more.
Well except the fact that there is a lot of people from Omaha now relocating.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Wow, thanks for taking the time to flaunt this on an Omaha board. Your post indicates that we should feel a level of excitement for ardent spurning omaha for Denver.

Congrats on the new company, but it's existence means very little to Omaha now.

And people are leaving Omaha? You do realize the city's net migration pattern has been strongly positive for two decades.

Post by Guest »

guest2 wrote:Wow, thanks for taking the time to flaunt this on an Omaha board. Your post indicates that we should feel a level of excitement for ardent spurning omaha for Denver.

And people are leaving Omaha? You do realize the city's net migration pattern has been strongly positive for two decades.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me for breaking the story, but I was merely providing the info I had from an internal email. Everyone on the board had been watching closely, and I think we're all surprised that Denver was even in the mix.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Anonymous wrote:
guest2 wrote:Wow, thanks for taking the time to flaunt this on an Omaha board. Your post indicates that we should feel a level of excitement for ardent spurning omaha for Denver.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me for breaking the story, but I was merely providing the info I had from an internal email. Everyone on the board had been watching closely, and I think we're all surprised that Denver was even in the mix.
Well, yes it was directed at you. But I feel bad now that I am enlightened to know you were sharing an email instead. Haha
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Here's the story from the Denver Post.  Interesting that while late to the party the governor of Colorado got the job done.  Anyone in Nebraska think about maybe having the governor drop a dime and invite the company to, I don't know, maybe take advantage of Nebraska's incentives?  One thing the article mentioned was that Denver has an international airport.  I'll have to check but there used to be one of those in Minneapolis.  I'm still trying to figure out what the attraction is to Denver for this operation.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... consortium
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Maybe they were able to negotiate tax incentives with either Denver or the state.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bummer, sounds like we will lose some jobs too.