New Bakers

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

New Bakers

Post by Brad »

I heard a rumor and it goes like this

Jack and Tom Baker, son and grandson of Abe Baker, founder of Baker's Supermarkets are going to buy the Baker's at 132 and Center and re-name it Abe's Supermarket after the founder of Baker's and run it like the Bakers of old when it was good and locally owned.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Did you post this in another thread? I heard this somewhere else before.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

If this rumor ends up being true, I will shop there. Go out of my way to shop there.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No, I did not post it before. I just heard it a few days ago from another former Baker's Manager.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

About late January/early February, I started a thread about this rumor over on the now defunct Omaha Chamber board..

Maybe that's where you had seen it Jeff :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:About late January/early February, I started a thread about this rumor over on the now defunct Omaha Chamber board..
So - being one of the forumers who left the chamber site last year in the great exodus - what did you post there about this?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I only left the Chamber site when they shut down the forum on 03/15/05 (although I did start contributing here about 10 days before that)..

Regarding the 'rumor'..I have several aquaintances who work in the food service industry that expressed to me a couple of months or so back that Abe Bakers son has a plan to purchase the 132nd & Center street store back from Krogers and turn it into the original 'Bakers' we all grew up with and loved. The plan is to rename the store 'Abe's'. Those who remember back in the 70's and 80's, Mr Baker (Abe) could be found on a daily basis at the 132nd/Center store conversing with customers and store employees either in the store restaurant or at the courtesy desk (the guy was very deft at flirting with the women by the way :wink: ). That particular store was Abe's favorite..His baby..Shoot, the whole development was named 'Bakers Square' (still is of course) at an intersection that in the 80's became one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) in Omaha..

It seems that the 'Bakers' of today owned by grocery giant Kroger's has lost it's personal touch with the community (so true) and the Baker family wants to bring some of that back..

Pretty much what Brad has already mentioned..Without my sometimes long-winded posting style :)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!