New Building Downtown?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Lincoln Logger

New Building Downtown?

Post by Lincoln Logger »

This morning, several guys with GDA Architect badges were doing a walking tour downtown with what looked like site plans in hand.   This was down in the area around the Civic Auditorium.   Does this mean new construction downtown or is the city hiring architects to do another study on the future use of the Civic?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like they have worked on some impressive projects in Dallas.  We would be lucky to have them involved in the Civic redevelopment.
Lincoln Logger

Post by Lincoln Logger »

I was just looking at their web site and it says that they are licensed to do business in Nebraska.   Does anybody know of any projects in Nebraska that they may have done?
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

On their website if you click the categories under "Practice Areas" on the bottom center of the page it comes up with their portfolio. Looks like some pretty impressive projects. I looked at residential, office, and mixed use the closest and it seems like most their work has been in Dallas/Houston/Austin, Phoenix, and Atlanta. I buzzed through the other categories pretty quickly but I don't recall seeing anything in Nebraska (or even close) though I could definitely be wrong.

Either way it was an interesting time kill. I'd love to see them put something large scale together for downtown Omaha! They've got quite the track record by the looks of it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I really love their residential projects. You should've casually bumped into them causing them to drop the plans so you could look at them.  :yes:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Well this certainly is interesting news, I hope it isn't just a study...but I think it probably is. Good eyes to catch this, thank you!
No posts exist for this topic
Lincoln Logger

Post by Lincoln Logger »

I actually stopped on the sidewalk by them and bent down, untied and retied both shoes hoping to hear something about their conversation but I couldn't pick up on anything.   If I wouldn't have forgot my phone in the truck, I would have just stood on the sidewalk by them pretending to be on the phone and see what I could all pick up.
Lincoln Logger

Post by Lincoln Logger »

I was online trying to see if I could find out anything.   Did anyone else notice that GDA Architects has worked with Pacific Life before?   They've financed a couple of their big developments.   Any chance this could be the corporate headquarters that the mayor mentioned about "60-90 days" ago?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I'm not getting my hopes up.. I'm sure there are lots of firms that do research/feasibility testing in Omaha all the time without planning to ever do anything about it other than produce a study for a firm looking for info.