Behlen Observatory

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Behlen Observatory

Post by Stargazer »

Okay, here's something I'm getting excited about... ever since UNL pretty well cut it's astronomy program years ago, it's Behlen Observatory, located south of Mead, west of Omaha... has been relegated to doing nothing more than open houses, about 4 times each year. The observatory houses a 30" telescope, and enough space for hosting lectures (quite a large building). As the last tenured astronomy professor retires, interest in maintaining the facility has completely waned... the university is looking to 'hand the keys' off. A couple of years ago, it looked as if the telescope might be re-located to the Strategic Air and Space Museum. That deal fell through... now, university officials are looking elsewhere. My 'second family', the Omaha Astronomical Society, is going to be talking with them soon, about possibly taking the observatory over, turning it into a base for astronomy outreach, with regular public programs/star parties. I can't tell you how excited I am about the possibility of this happening. Lincoln has it's Hyde Memorial Observatory, Des Moines has Ashton Observatory, Kansas City has Powell Observatory. Up to this point, my cohorts and I have had to improvise, going 'to the people', in the absence of a base of operations. We don't anticipate any considerable expenses initially for maintenance, however, we'll likely be working harder towards introducing our 501(c)(3) organization to the local philanthropic community.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Behlen Observatory

Post by Coyote »

You mention other observatories, how does a 30" compare to those.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The 30" at Behlen is over 40 years old, but a research grade instrument. It would be supplemented by amateur telescopes belonging to OAS members on the grounds surrounding the observatory.

These other observatories have amateur grade telescopes, however, some of them are quite nice... such as one of the 16" scopes at Ashton. The 30" at Powell, was built by Astronomical Society of Kansas City members (it's a beast, with it's metal plating/rivets.. looks like something from the early 20th century). Rumor from KC is, they're working on raising SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars to build a new observatory ('ASKC' is one of the largest clubs in the nation).

Hyde Memorial Observatory, Lincoln, 8", 12 1/2", 14" telescopes, 'roll off' roof

Ashton Observatory, Des Moines, 2 16" telescopes, twin domes

Powell Observatory, Kansas City, 30" and 16" telescopes, twin domes

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

South of Mead? Isn't the one in Fremont on Midlands campus called the Behlen Observatory?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nevermind. 41.170787,-96.446329
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Very cool Jeff! That would be awesome if you guys were able to obtain it!