Richard's Sporting Goods in Council Bluffs

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Black Squirrel

Richard's Sporting Goods in Council Bluffs

Post by Black Squirrel »

Rumor from the black squirrels in Bayliss park - National Sports Retailer "Richard's Sporting Goods" is building at Metro Crossing, next to the big store with the bulls-eye on the front. Take that nut and throw it in the fountain. :P
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: Richard's Sporting Goods in Council Bluffs

Post by MadMartin8 »

Metro Crossing really has turned out to be a pretty good deal for CB.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote:Metro Crossing really has turned out to be a pretty good deal for CB.
It truly has. Unfortunately it was at the expense of the Mall of the Bluffs, but I am glad to see the continued growth of Metro Crossing. The Marketplace off of S. 24th St. where Pennys is hasn't fared as well, but overall it is doing ok.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Metro Crossing really has turned out to be a pretty good deal for CB.
It truly has.  Unfortunately it was at the expense of the Mall of the Bluffs, but I am glad to see the continued growth of Metro Crossing.  The Marketplace off of S. 24th St. where Pennys is hasn't fared as well, but overall it is doing ok.
Well, to be fair I think the Mall of the Bluffs was dead a little while prior to Metro being developed, but you're right it certainly didn't help it.
No posts exist for this topic
Im cdub

Post by Im cdub »

It will be interesting to see how all this spread out commercial stuff south of 80/29 fairs over the years. Original Manawa, Penneys area, Target etal. Its a lot of stuff with not much for neighborhoods around, everyone has to drive everywhere. Manawa particularly is a layout nightmare, too. I can't imagine it all lives.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
It truly has.  Unfortunately it was at the expense of the Mall of the Bluffs, but I am glad to see the continued growth of Metro Crossing.  The Marketplace off of S. 24th St. where Pennys is hasn't fared as well, but overall it is doing ok.
Well, to be fair I think the Mall of the Bluffs was dead a little while prior to Metro being developed, but you're right it certainly didn't help it.

It was still pretty full prior to Metro Crossing. Once Metro Crossing started coming on line, Mall of the Bluffs began losing anchors and it's hard to recover. Enclosed malls days are clearly numbered. When Crossroads started fading, I remember many put the blame on Simon and were praising General Growth (owner of Mall of the Bluffs and Westroads).

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree the Manawa Power Center is a nightmare, but overall I think all the retail is necessary. Not only does it serve most of Council Bluffs but also south Omaha, Glenwood and possibly even residents of Bellevue. I think over time the Marketplace will fill in a little more. With the interstate expansion, it will become harder for restaurants and retail to attract customers off the interstate. (With the new express lanes on the interstate that don't have the option of exiting)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think I have posted this before, but back in 1998 or 1999 I went over and helped open that Applebee's in lake Manawa. Over half of the customers were from Red Oak, Glenwood, or Insets Small SW Iowa Town ____________. It really is a regional shopping center.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Yes, it is a huge draw from all the smaller towns in SW Iowa. Also, when I am at Metro Crossing/Manawa, it is amazing how many Nebraska plates are there!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

On Tuesday's agenda for the Council bluffs Planning Commission is an application to amend the development plan for Metro Crossing to allow Dick's Sporting Goods to be built next to Target plus a future multi- tenant building,