WholeFoods

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

WholeFoods

Post by Guest »

This is thin, but a neighbor told me WholeFoods has been looking for property to build a smaller store on, East of 72nd street by 2016. Not much to it except the same neighbors have mentioned other rumors in the past that have been spot on.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: WholeFoods

Post by RNcyanide »

Maybe a Whole Foods around the former Steel Castings property UNMC just opened up would do well there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds plausible. Whole foods used to like to open 30-50k sq. ft. stores but recently has started to build smaller, I could see that happening here.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

There's just so many grocery stores in that area. I think a small whole foods would be really great in Dundee. Or maybe downtown as part of an apartment building.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This would be awesome!!!!!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Guest wrote:This is thin, but a neighbor told me WholeFoods has been looking for property to build a smaller store on, East of 72nd street by 2016.  Not much to it except the same neighbors have mentioned other rumors in the past that have been spot on.
They should take the old Borders building that has been sitting empty at 72nd and Dodge.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Guest wrote:This is thin, but a neighbor told me WholeFoods has been looking for property to build a smaller store on, East of 72nd street by 2016.  Not much to it except the same neighbors have mentioned other rumors in the past that have been spot on.
They should take the old Borders building that has been sitting empty at 72nd and Dodge.
That would be pretty close to the other one in Regency.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Any commercial space in north downtown?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:Any commercial space in north downtown?
Like at Shamrock or the Civic site?
sshawj

Post by sshawj »

C'mon, Whole Foods. You know you want to.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Any commercial space in north downtown?
Like at Shamrock or the Civic site?
No, I mean on the north side of the interstate around TD Ameritrade and in that area. (I'm not familiar with the street names up there.)

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't see North Downtown having favorable demographics for something like Whole Foods. Makes a lot more sense near UNMC Dundee area where it is more centrally located in East Omaha.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha has its Whole Foods. There won't be another.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

nativeomahan wrote:Omaha has its Whole Foods.  There won't be another.
Omaha could easily support another one. If Evanston, a suburb of Chicago with 75,000 people, can support two Whole Foods along with a myriad of other stores, Omaha can support two Whole Foods.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Garrett wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Omaha has its Whole Foods.  There won't be another.
Omaha could easily support another one. If Evanston, a suburb of Chicago with 75,000 people, can support two Whole Foods along with a myriad of other stores, Omaha can support two Whole Foods.
This is not a small detail.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

On the surface, this should be an apples to apples comparison with "Chicago land", but since Safeway (Dominic's... their local brand) recently pulled out, Whole Foods is in a (should I call it a face off?) with other supermarket chains to inhabit/re brand/remodel/discontinue former Dominic's buildings, neighborhoods. This claim is based on my several years in the Edgewater/Rogers Park neighborhoods, and what local friends have recentlty told me, IE: my local Dominic's (N. Broadway) will be a Whole Foods, but "delayed 12 to 18 months". Sounds like all the Safeway, Shaver's, Hinky Dinky, Baker's, Albertson's, etc., grocery store rehabbing historicly in the Omaha market. To early to compare neighborhood markets in Omaha vs.Chicago...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I will bet anyone dinner at 801 that there will be no additional full service Whole Foods stores opening in Nebraska in the next 5 years.

Post by Guest »

I agree that there is a slim chance of this happening. And yes, there is a glut of grocery stores in the area of TNMC. Like many of the hotels that are going up East of 72nd street, they are building today, NOT because there is a strong need currently, but for what they expect to happen 3-5+ years from now. Midtown/Downtown land is not getting cheaper OR more plentiful, and these areas are developing faster than the rest of Omaha. If Whole Foods does plan to open one east of 72nd street, Im sure the idea is to capture the Dundee/Memorial park/Aksarben market that is currently there, with that same idea of what will be around the area in 5 years along with the ever growing number of people living downtown. I also believe that having one closer to the downtown area would be popular, but only for those who live in the downtown area, within walking distance. Midtown people are not going to drive downtown, fighting traffic and struggling to find a parking spot, (similar to the problems Wohlners had), even with all that Whole Foods have to offer. They will just continue to go to the one in Regency. Those who live downtown however, will continue to drive West to a Whole Foods or Trader Joes... I have friends who live downtown who do this at least once a week.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Guest wrote:I agree that there is a slim chance of this happening. And yes, there is a glut of grocery stores in the area of TNMC. Like many of the hotels that are going up East of 72nd street, they are building today, NOT because there is a strong need currently, but for what they expect to happen 3-5+ years from now. Midtown/Downtown land is not getting cheaper OR more plentiful, and these areas are developing faster than the rest of Omaha.  If Whole Foods does plan to open one east of 72nd street, Im sure the idea is to capture the Dundee/Memorial park/Aksarben market that is currently there, with that same idea of what will be around the area in 5 years along with the ever growing number of people living downtown.  I also believe that having one closer to the downtown area would be popular, but only for those who live in the downtown area, within walking distance. Midtown people are not going to drive downtown, fighting traffic and struggling to find a parking spot, (similar to the problems Wohlners had), even with all that Whole Foods have to offer. They will just continue to go to the one in Regency. Those who live downtown however, will continue to drive West to a Whole Foods or Trader Joes... I have friends who live downtown who do this at least once a week.
Hit the nail on the head with the last half of that post.
Omaha5

Post by Omaha5 »

Was talking to my neighbor this weekend again about the "whole food" 2nd store that they had mentioned. This time she stated "a high end" grocery store and not specifically whole foods. Said that the rumored store had inquired about the lot along the south side of dodge street and west of 42nd street, that is owned by TNMC.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The demographics of 42nd and Dodge will not support a Whole Foods type grocery store. It took Walmart years to finally decide to build a grocery store in this area. And no one heading home from downtown on Dodge Street has access to the south side of Dodge. If and when another full service (as opposed to boutique) high end grocery builds in Omaha I suspect it will be west of 680, between West Center Rd. and West Maple Road.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Whole Foods name dropped in the latest Civic Auditorium redevelopment article.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:Whole Foods name dropped in the latest Civic Auditorium redevelopment article.
Lets hope they know more than we do.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

It would be cool to have Whole Foods at the Civic but in the short term, a Hy-Vee or the like is what is needed DT.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

ILexpat wrote:It would be cool to have Whole Foods at the Civic but in the short term, a Hy-Vee or the like is what is needed DT.
I agree with that. Downtown needs a full service regular priced grocery store. The nearest Hy-Vee would be on 25th and W. Broadway in CB, nearly 3 1/2 mi away.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Based on the comments in the Civic article it sounds like having a regular full service grocery store is not likely. They said if grocery is built downtown it would have to be a destination brand like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Somehig people would travel past other options for.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

iamjacobm wrote:Based on the comments in the Civic article it sounds like having a regular full service grocery store is not likely. They said if grocery is built downtown it would have to be a destination brand like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Somehig people would travel past other options for.
I wonder who they are expecting to draw into DT for a whole foods or TJ's. I would think Regency would be more convenient a destination for most.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ILexpat wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Based on the comments in the Civic article it sounds like having a regular full service grocery store is not likely. They said if grocery is built downtown it would have to be a destination brand like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Somehig people would travel past other options for.
        I wonder who they are expecting to draw into DT for a whole foods or TJ's. I would think Regency would be more convenient a destination for most.
Anythig east of 72nd is probably a wash for that location.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ILexpat wrote:

What are you kidding? You know how many people east of 72nd shop at Whole Foods? And I'd bet most of the employees live east of 72nd as well. I used to drive out their from downtown all the time. Whole Foods & TJ's are destination store that people will and do drive far to get there.

In spite of nativeomahan's pessimistic outlook I think it's highly probably for Omaha to have a neighborhood Whole Foods east of 72nd. The only snag I see at this point is finding the right location. If Wolhner's would finally concede defeat with their archaic out of touch attempt at grocery this location would be perfect if not for being perhaps a little small. Downtown would be great in theory and as much as WF can be an anchor I don't see them going in alone somewhere at this point without being part of a larger development. And as far as WF locating anywhere where there isn't sufficient parking, they simply wouldn't do it and parking would be part of the equation with even considering said site. That said parking at the Regency store is often problematic...hmm maybe time for another store.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

nebport5 wrote:
ILexpat wrote:

You know how many people east of 72nd shop at Whole Foods?  And I'd bet most of the employees live east of 72nd as well.  I used to drive out their from downtown all the time.  Whole Foods & TJ's are destination store that people will and do drive far to get there.  
No...no I don't. Hence the "I wonder". How many? Anyway, since they are by your own admission destination stores, it doesn't really matter where they are then does it? If their customer base will drive there regardless of geography why would they build another store?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ILexpat wrote:
nebport5 wrote:
ILexpat wrote:

You know how many people east of 72nd shop at Whole Foods?  And I'd bet most of the employees live east of 72nd as well.  I used to drive out their from downtown all the time.  Whole Foods & TJ's are destination store that people will and do drive far to get there.  
     No...no I don't. Hence the "I wonder".  How many? Anyway, since they are by your own admission destination stores, it doesn't really matter where they are then does it? If their customer base will drive there regardless of geography why would they build another store?[/quote]

Supply and demand. If the Regency store is already drawing enough people from east of 72nd(which it is) wouldn't those people shop at a much closer store!? I would. In fact one might even shop there more often if it were closer to where one lives.
Last edited by nebport5 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

nebport5 wrote: Supply and demand.  If the Regency store is already drawing enough people from east of 72nd(which it is) wouldn't those people shop at a much closer store!?  I would.  In fact one might even shop there more often if it were closer where one lives.
You're right, it's all about supply and demand. Opening a new store increases supply but my question is does it necessarily drive a sufficient increase in demand? My thought would be that all a second store would do is divide the current customer base between two stores. There may be a slight increase due to, as you said, people shopping more often at a more convenient location but is this enough for a second store? I hope so, a DT Whole Food would be cool, but I doubt it. Maybe a small one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ILexpat wrote:
nebport5 wrote: Supply and demand.  If the Regency store is already drawing enough people from east of 72nd(which it is) wouldn't those people shop at a much closer store!?  I would.  In fact one might even shop there more often if it were closer where one lives.
You're right, it's all about supply and demand. Opening a new store increases supply but my question is does it necessarily drive a sufficient increase in demand? My thought would be that all a second store would do is divide the current customer base between two stores. There may be a slight increase due to, as you said, people shopping more often at a more convenient location but is this enough for a second store? I hope so, a DT Whole Food would be cool, but I doubt it. Maybe a small one.
I will mention this again... But I was at WF years ago when I ran into a Regional Manager from TX. This had to have been at least 7-10 years ago, and I mentioned Midtown development back then, and even gave him the name of the Midtown Omaha organizer at the time. He said they were very interested in a second store when the opportunity arrived. I'd have to go back and see if I can find that post, 7-10 years ago...
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Whole Foods does not intend to, nor will expand in the metro for the foreseeable future. I hate to be a kill joy, but the Whole Foods in Regency is one of the last stores with a very large footprint. This precludes any incentive to grow further in the market. As the person responsible for expansion told me: the Whole Foods would have to do "New York" numbers to merit consideration for another store. That seemed very unlikely then, and I imagine it is more unlikely now. There are lots of options for urban grocery stores, and as downtown passes 10,000 residents I fully expect the stores to come. Who knows, maybe I'll eat my post.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the market nationwide is WAY different than it was when WholeFoods entered the market. Virtually every city is seeing downtown redevelopment and there will be companies that will adapt their thinking and "numbers" that they look at when they consider a new store specifically for urban areas. It may not happen in 2014 or 2015 and it may not be WholeFoods, but I am entirely confident that there will be an urban grocery concept downtown in this decade. I also don't see this as just an Omaha thing either, but in cities across the country.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've got a good friend that works at Whole Foods corporate HQ, I will see if she knows anything. It's funny, she complains when she is back in Omaha about how small the store is here. I guess the once in Austin dwarfs it.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:I think the market nationwide is WAY different than it was when WholeFoods entered the market.  Virtually every city is seeing downtown redevelopment and there will be companies that will adapt their thinking and "numbers" that they look at when they consider a new store specifically for urban areas.  It may not happen in 2014 or 2015 and it may not be WholeFoods, but I am entirely confident that there will be an urban grocery concept downtown in this decade.  I also don't see this as just an Omaha thing either, but in cities across the country.
The challenge will be to navigate between the rocky shoals of the organic free-range vegan chicken buyers and the 12/1$ frozen food EBT users. You will need to serve both groups, but the real money is going to be in the NORMAL food shelves. They will have to be the place where you can buy a pound of lunch meat at a normal price and quality. A place that will sell you plain old Jiff Peanut butter and not just the Brand X |expletive| that goes to the low end of the market or the artisanal hand picked peanuts, stone ground while indigenous people sing folk songs peanut butter.

This has been the death sentence for retail in downtown so far. You can find a place to sell you hand stitched Dashikis, but not a place to sell you undershirts. Downtown needs real stores. Good luck to whichever tries. Won't be Walmart after all the |expletive| they get from the lefties in other cities when they try to move downtown.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wal Mart really doesn't care about the lefties or whoever opposes them. They will go where they think they can be profitable. They have learned from their battles and adopted.

Greg