Midtown crossing

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Midtown crossing

Post by Guest »

Ate at a friends restaurant this weekend in Dundee. He was told by another dundee business owner that the mid-town crossing retail side has not and is not doing well. Low foot trafficThey have been actively trying to get established restaurants, he mention one from the midtown area and one from north omaha, to relocate there offering good lease prices.
Greg S
City Council

Re: Midtown crossing

Post by Greg S »

That's similar to when they started. Leases offered were far below market.

Greg
Omaha5

Post by Omaha5 »

That's interesting. I thought this was a development that would have a big draw presence. Looking back though, they have had a lot of turn over and the only place I hear about from friends (or have been to) is the Grey Plume. What about the office side? Is it also below market price (is it A class?). How has it done?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is no office in there. All residential and retail. South of Farnam its Apartments, north is Condos

I am sure everything hasn't turned out exactly how they expected it, but they were hoping to build a "neighborhood" around their corporate HQ and they have done a great job at that. Look at all the projects that have sprung up around MTC. Look at all the great events they bring to Turner Park. The Apartments have been a huge success filling up almost immediately.

There were a few let down's like Parlament and the that expensive clothing store that was so un-remarkeable that I can't even remember the name. Both of those were a bad fit for the area.

I don't think loft 610 had enough time. I think if it was there now, it would do great. They really had a good menu when it first opened.

But the Grey Plume has won award after award. Brix has been an big success, and so successful they are going to open a second concept in MTC.

The Biggest difference between MTC and Aksarben is that MTC built everything at once and they have to deal with people saying "Its taking forever" and "Its a big failure". However Aksarben is building buildings as needed so it looks like they are doing good. However, big picture, they are probably doing about the same. Aksarben has had a couple failures too, that BBQ place and Wholners. However just like MTC they are finding better fits for the area. I think the Addition of Spirit World will be about as successful as Brix. Aksarben's new pizza place "Dudley's is Awesome.

Overall they are both great and they are both going to take time to completely fill out and find what works for them. These are both out of the box for Omaha and we all know most of Omaha is set in their ways so its not the easiest project to get off the ground. I am much happier to see MTC work hard at filling up their space than I am at seeing yet another suburban strip mall snap their fingers and have the place full.

I like what they have done and will keep doing what I can to support their development.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I go there for Bocce during the various seasons. There is a large crowd for the games, but a lot of them split right after and some stay. The bar/restaurant that gets the call that week gets busy, but otherwise it never seems very busy, but not dead either. Some of the places are overrated. Saint's Pub and Patio continues to have decent food, but waitstaff from heck. No one goes there twice unless they have to. Cantina Laredo is decent Mexican-like food, but is not good enough to drive there just for that. Crave is better than average, but again, not better than all the places between my office and there (to say nothing about my house), so is it worth driving there? The condos continue to lag in sales due to the same problems that the management seems unwilling to fix. Still very expensive and with only 1 parking space per condo, you have to think that for $247,000, I could do better. Not sure that downtown living is ever going to be affordable for normal people, but if they want it to be a place where normal people come to do normal stuff, you are going to have to attract them somehow. Absent that, or absent a real reason to drive across town to go there, I don't see it doing much more than it is now.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

It's difficult to compare MTC and AV for many reasons. Building a neighborhood around Mutual of Omaha with the retail space has made for a nice development, but one that I think is limited. The concerts that MTC brings in is great fun. But what other development has occurred around it? It has done little to spur renovation to homes around the area or attract people to those neighborhoods. Even a coworker who has a condo there, never wants to go to the restaurant or theater there. We go downtown or AV. PLEASE don't think I'm a hater of MTC. Besides Brix and the Grey Plume, or the concerts, I just don't see it being much more than it is.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MSizlack wrote:But what other development has occurred around it?
Off the top of my head...

Blackstone District
Duet on Harney
Urban Village
Sapces
Midtown Triangle
That new development on 34th and Harney

It will be interesting to see what happens in the old Godfathers space too.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Paging Grandpasmucker....
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:I go there for Bocce during the various seasons.  There is a large crowd for the games, but a lot of them split right after and some stay.  The bar/restaurant that gets the call that week gets busy, but otherwise it never seems very busy, but not dead either.  Some of the places are overrated.  Saint's Pub and Patio continues to have decent food, but waitstaff from heck.  No one goes there twice unless they have to.  Cantina Laredo is decent Mexican-like food, but is not good enough to drive there just for that.  Crave is better than average, but again, not better than all the places between my office and there (to say nothing about my house), so is it worth driving there?  The condos continue to lag in sales due to the same problems that the management seems unwilling to fix.  Still very expensive and with only 1 parking space per condo, you have to think that for $247,000, I could do better.  Not sure that downtown living is ever going to be affordable for normal people, but if they want it to be a place where normal people come to do normal stuff, you are going to have to attract them somehow.   Absent that, or absent a real reason to drive across town to go there, I don't see it doing much more than it is now.
http://www.ketv.com/news/midtown-crossi ... 928#!3c7Hz
Skold said the Midtown team sold $7.5 million of condos this year, meeting their yearly sales goal in March.

“Five hundred total residences and we're about 90 percent filled up,” Skold said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MSizlack wrote:It's difficult to compare MTC and AV for many reasons. Building a neighborhood around Mutual of Omaha with the retail space has made for a nice development, but one that I think is limited. The concerts that MTC brings in is great fun. But what other development has occurred around it? It has done little to spur renovation to homes around the area or attract people to those neighborhoods. Even a coworker who has a condo there, never wants to go to the restaurant or theater there. We go downtown or AV. PLEASE don't think I'm a hater of MTC. Besides Brix and the Grey Plume, or the concerts, I just don't see it being much more than it is.
Check out this thread:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 11&t=15571

There is a lot of rehab happening in the area south of MTC. It just doesn't make the news when it is homes being renovated.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Skold said the Midtown team sold $7.5 million of condos this year, meeting their yearly sales goal in March.

“Five hundred total residences and we're about 90 percent filled up,” Skold said.
[/quote]

Good to know. Seemed to me that the last time I was there, there was still a lot of dark windows.

Post by Guest »

I know I'm sounding argumentative, it's not my intention. Many of the projects South of MTC would have been developed anyway. Urban Village realized that there was a demand for urban living, and these old, run down complexes have remodeled them into wonderful apartments. I've also had the chance to go through 2 of the 4 homes they did. Very nice! But let me get on my soap box... When I see projects done east of 72nd, I, as I suspect all of you also do, see it as the continued rebirth of urban living and working in Omaha. Every project, no matter how little, adds to this. Remodeled apartments hopefully drives more retail in the area. Remodeled retail hopefully drives more urban living close by. But when I see a BIG dollar development like AV, MTC, the soon to start Shamrock project and the old casting property west of TNMC, I expect to see the surrounding area get pulled along with them. I personally just haven't seen that with MTC. Maybe I'm being short sighted. I still think this is a good and significant project. It creates another strong link in the chain of the continued redevelopment and revitalization of Omaha East of 72nd. I just expected more from it.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Some businesses there are doing really well (Grey Plume, Hutch, Brix) others, I don't know about though I like their products (Chef2). I think the area will take off once Mutual is able to complete its plan to acquire the adjoining parcels.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

double post, I blame the squirrels.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I see there are a lot of people who prefer living in condos with a common space and area to walk to shop, eat, etc. I loved living at MTC however there were 2 negatives #1 Nebraska did not agree with dam sex marriage and #2 my kids needed a back yard although it's not the norm for most families living there created quite the norm every place was the same and not many options. MTC sold building by building so 2 may have seemed dark in the last was due to the fact that it was more cost effective to sell a building at a time. I don't regret selling my place as I loved it but it was not the right setting for my situation we frequent the area and I would never give them negative feedback as it is a great place for people wanting to be DO with out being DO had circumstances been different for me we would have stayed there
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

From the Save the Clarinda-Page Facebook, there is a purchase agreement to buy the Turner Park apartments on the north side of 31st and Dodge.

3106 Dodge St.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SaveOmaha wrote:Mutual of Omaha owns the Godfather's property, along with several others in the area. So they will most likely be coming down. From the Save the Clarinda-Page Facebook, they are also under purchase agreement to buy the Turner Park apartments on the north side of 31st and Dodge.

3106 Dodge St.
I talked with someone at the MC concert last week, and they said all of the Godfather's plaza block and other buildings were coming down soon.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
SaveOmaha wrote:Mutual of Omaha owns the Godfather's property, along with several others in the area. So they will most likely be coming down. From the Save the Clarinda-Page Facebook, they are also under purchase agreement to buy the Turner Park apartments on the north side of 31st and Dodge.

3106 Dodge St.
I talked with someone at the MC concert last week, and they said all of the Godfather's plaza block and other buildings were coming down soon.

And what would be going in those lots? Everyone's favorite: "surface parking"?
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:

3106 Dodge St.

And what would be going in those lots?  Everyone's favorite: "surface parking"?
I don't even know if the are going that far. They just want a developer to see open space and not worth about demolition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Guest wrote:I know I'm sounding argumentative, it's not my intention. Many of the projects South of MTC would have been developed anyway. Urban Village realized that there was a demand for urban living, and these old, run down complexes have remodeled them into wonderful apartments. I've also had the chance to go through 2 of the 4 homes they did. Very nice! But let me get on my soap box... When I see projects done east of 72nd, I, as I suspect all of you also do, see it as the continued rebirth of urban living and working in Omaha. Every project, no matter how little, adds to this. Remodeled apartments hopefully drives more retail in the area. Remodeled retail hopefully drives more urban living close by. But when I see a BIG dollar development like AV, MTC, the soon to start Shamrock project and the old casting property west of TNMC, I expect to see the surrounding area get pulled along with them. I personally just haven't seen that with MTC. Maybe I'm being short sighted. I still think this is a good and significant project. It creates another strong link in the chain of the continued redevelopment and revitalization of  Omaha East of 72nd.  I just expected more from it.
I am not sure there is much basis to your claim that many of the projects around MTC would of happened with or without the $300 million investment. I don't see how anything on Park Ave gets redone without it's proximity to MTC. Park Ave was literally one of the worst stretches in the city 10 years ago and is now seeing an incredible amount of rehab into $1000+ rental units. Bluestone Development, the ones building Spaces, are doing their biggest project in a long time on Park Ave instead of North Downtown or Old Market adjacent.

Here is the results of a few year old study MTC commissioned:
http://www.midtowncrossing.com/Post/sec ... evised.pdf
Between 2006 and 2011, valuations of properties within one block, two blocks and three
blocks of Midtown Crossing (but not including Midtown Crossing) expanded by 12 percent,
28 percent and 25 percent, respectively. Overall valuations for the city of Omaha declined by
more than 12 percent during this same time period.
The value of building permits soared by 435 percent for Midtown Crossing and zip code
68131. (During this same time period, the value of building permits outside of zip code
68131, and in the city of Omaha, declined by 13 percent.)

The number of building permits issued for Midtown Crossing and the Midtown Crossing
area jumped by 90 percent. (The number of building permits issued for Omaha outside of zip
code 68131 increased by a much smaller 30 percent.)
Sure we didn't see some massive boom of condo towers or anything like that, but those numbers are impressive and show a rapidly improving area. Plus MTC was finished literally as the recession hit, basically forcing every other developer to wait until the market changed years later.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't see how anything on Park Ave gets redone without it's proximity to MTC.  Park Ave was literally one of the worst stretches in the city 10 years ago and is now seeing an incredible amount of rehab into $1000+ rental units.  Bluestone Development, the ones building Spaces, are doing their biggest project in a long time on Park Ave instead of North Downtown or Old Market adjacent.
I agree. I think the symbolism and image of MTC was more important than the actual retail, foot traffic, etc that it's contributed to Midtown. The message that Mutual sent by developing MTC gave many smaller (and other large) developers the confidence to jump into an area that had a lot of potential, but a bad reputation. In the strange science of neighborhood image and momentum, it was the piece that pushed Midtown past the tipping point and into a new era.
Slbg91
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Slbg91 »

The same year MoO announced MTO we bought a house 12 blocks north in Bemis Park. In that time, many of the houses on n. 33rd have been renovated, The Melrose apartments on California and 33rd were redone and The Nottingham went from a rundown drug den to upscale apartments.
The county has raised the value of our house substantially every year without a new appraisal. In the years that we have lived here, I have seen a DRAMATIC change in this area. Many of the rental houses have been returned to single family owner occupied's and you can see the pride being restored to these old houses. We were betting that this house would be a good investment and it is really paying off thanks to MTC!
I have heard lots of bad talk about the 75 North development but I'm betting that it will provide an anchor that will help to further stabilize the neighborhoods north of dodge and south of Hamilton. When you enter these old houses, they have a character that cannot be matched in new construction. The insurance replacement cost of our home is over 8 times what we actually paid for the house and that potential value makes these neighborhoods ripe for the picking for investment homes.
So my view of how MTC has changed the surrounding area is crystal clear.