Costco going into Southport?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bruce Wayne

Costco going into Southport?

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I heard Costco is going to Southport by Cabela's?? Any truth to this? Seems like everything out there has never materialized.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Costco going to Southport?

Post by jessep28 »

Not sure about Costco, but I thought that one of the grocery stores had land in that area?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I thought I heard something about Costco building at Southport on Grow Omaha yesterday. And the other grocer that is rumored to have land out that way or near Werner Park is Kroger/Bakers. Heard that one over a year ago. I know they have plans to spend several million in the market within the next 5 years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It wasn't on Saturday's Grow Omaha episode, but maybe on one of their mid week morning segments...
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Coyote wrote:It wasn't on Saturday's Grow Omaha episode, but maybe on one of their mid week morning segments...
My father-in-law also heard this today from a manager at current Costco....
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This rumor is all the talk down in Sarpy County. It makes sense if Costco wants to compete with Walmart/Sam's Club for the business of Sarpy County residents.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Doesn't make much sense to leave a high-traffic, higher visibility, easily accessible location in the more heavily populated Douglas County. Are they talking about a second store maybe?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:Doesn't make much sense to leave a high-traffic, higher visibility, easily accessible location in the more heavily populated Douglas County. Are they talking about a second store maybe?

There is no way they will close there exiting store.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

That Costco out on Dodge sells more merchandise then any other store in town. They have more total gross sales revenue then any Walmart in this area. La Vista was severely wounded when Walmart on 84th packed up and moved to Papillion. And then La Vista fumbled the ball and let the Storm Chasers go to Papillion. Things were not looking good for La Vista. The odds of La Vista ever replacing the tax revenue it had made on Walmart were looking slim. And then I can't believe it but they scored a Costco. That's a big time score. Maybe as big as it gets. Didn't see that coming!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Good point Grandpa, didn't think of that. the tax base in La Vista is going to really appreciate this addition.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Doesn't make much sense to leave a high-traffic, higher visibility, easily accessible location in the more heavily populated Douglas County. Are they talking about a second store maybe?

There is no way they will close there exiting store.
It's more believable now. The way the thread and posts were worded made me think it might be moving, instead of adding a second store. A better title for the thread might have been "Costco may open 2nd metro Omaha location"
Last edited by GetUrban on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy1

Re: Costco going into Southport?

Post by thenewguy1 »

...preeetty sure you have your facts wrong, Grandpa. A) I believe NFM outsells Costco by a lot. I mean, a lot. B) The Sam's on 132nd, as of last year, was an approximately $120M per year box. Costco was somewhere in the 70-80M per year range as of a couple years ago. Could have changed, but that's where they were. Assuming they had a healthy sales growth of 10%, that still puts them well under $100M C) There are multiple $100M Wal-Marts in the area, too.

Stating that Costco sells more than anyone in the area puts you out on a ledge and tests your credibility. I think you like to start |expletive| for the sake of starting |expletive|.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

thenewguy1 wrote:...preeetty sure you have your facts wrong, Grandpa. A) I believe NFM outsells Costco by a lot. I mean, a lot. B) The Sam's on 132nd, as of last year, was an approximately $120M per year box. Costco was somewhere in the 70-80M per year range as of a couple years ago. Could have changed, but that's where they were. Assuming they had a healthy sales growth of 10%, that still puts them well under $100M C) There are multiple $100M Wal-Marts in the area, too.

Stating that Costco sells more than anyone in the area puts you out on a ledge and tests your credibility. I think you like to start |expletive| for the sake of starting |expletive|.
You come on here attacking me and yet I am the bad guy? You come on here throwing out a bunch of false numbers and my credibility is in question. Besides pulling them out of thin air what is the source of your numbers? I read in the World Herald that Costco sells more then any Walmart in this area. That's my source. Let me see now, should we believe the World Herald or you. I think I will go with the World Herald.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

I would be shocked if any of the walmarts around here cross the $100M mark, or even Sams, but I have no information to back that up. I do know a lot of people that shop at Costco though. I would not be the least surprised that NFM out sells everything else by a large margin.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

According to their website, NFM's combined sales for Omaha and DesMoines average over 400M/yr. I would imagine Omaha accounts for at least 2/3 of that. NFM Texas is projected to pull-in 600M/yr. revenue.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
thenewguy1 wrote:...preeetty sure you have your facts wrong, Grandpa.  A) I believe NFM outsells Costco by a lot.  I mean, a lot.  B) The Sam's on 132nd, as of last year, was an approximately $120M per year box.  Costco was somewhere in the 70-80M per year range as of a couple years ago.  Could have changed, but that's where they were.  Assuming they had a healthy sales growth of 10%, that still puts them well under $100M  C) There are multiple $100M Wal-Marts in the area, too.  

Stating that Costco sells more than anyone in the area puts you out on a ledge and tests your credibility.  I think you like to start |expletive| for the sake of starting |expletive|.
You come on here attacking me and yet I am the bad guy? You come on here throwing out a bunch of false numbers and my credibility is in question. Besides pulling them out of thin air what is the source of your numbers? I read in the World Herald that Costco sells more then any Walmart in this area. That's my source. Let me see now, should we believe the World Herald or you. I think I will go with the World Herald.
Great, link the article you are referring to.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
thenewguy1 wrote:...preeetty sure you have your facts wrong, Grandpa.  A) I believe NFM outsells Costco by a lot.  I mean, a lot.  B) The Sam's on 132nd, as of last year, was an approximately $120M per year box.  Costco was somewhere in the 70-80M per year range as of a couple years ago.  Could have changed, but that's where they were.  Assuming they had a healthy sales growth of 10%, that still puts them well under $100M  C) There are multiple $100M Wal-Marts in the area, too.  

Stating that Costco sells more than anyone in the area puts you out on a ledge and tests your credibility.  I think you like to start |expletive| for the sake of starting |expletive|.
without starting a flame war, you spout out a lot of things in threads for the sake of trolling. so my assessment of your statements arent inaccurate.

secondly, i used to work for the company, so i had direct access to sales information for the walmarts and sams in the area, as well as costco. and if you google 'costco omaha revenue' and you will see that the club in omaha is profiled in the 25-50M range. i think thats low, but i could be wrong.
Go Cubs Go
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

thenewguy wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

without starting a flame war, you spout out a lot of things in threads for the sake of trolling. so my assessment of your statements arent inaccurate.

secondly, i used to work for the company, so i had direct access to sales information for the walmarts and sams in the area, as well as costco. and if you google 'costco omaha revenue' and you will see that the club in omaha is profiled in the 25-50M range. i think thats low, but i could be wrong.
Referencing that you used to work for Walmart isn't going to help your argument.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Understandable. i was on the Sam's side, though, and we paid close attention to what costco did. We knew of locations they were scouting, when they had real estate and corporate folks in the area, knew their sales info, as well as ours. it wasnt a case of being a people greeter or something, thinking i knew things that may or may not have been true. conversely, there were those that worked for sams that now work for costco that substantiated the same info.

like i said, costco may have grown in sales significantly, but the existing sams is a 110-120M box, and that costco's sales growth (even in the current economy) wouldnt support them exceeding that sams "by a lot." If someone can cite sales figures to disprove that, i will admit that what i said was inaccurate.
Go Cubs Go
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I refuse to enter into a discussion with a guy who works at Walmart that has an avatar of a WWF rassler! Excuse me I meant a guy who works at Sams! Next thing you know hes going to want to argue that rasseling is not fake! :shock:
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I refuse to enter into a discussion with a guy who works at Walmart that has an avatar of a WWF rassler! Excuse me I meant a guy who works at Sams! Next thing you know hes going to want to argue that rasseling is not fake! :shock:
Classy. :roll:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I refuse to enter into a discussion with a guy who works at Walmart that has an avatar of a WWF rassler! Excuse me I meant a guy who works at Sams! Next thing you know hes going to want to argue that rasseling is not fake! :shock:
Where's that article you kept referencing? You are an idiot.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The only two things missing in this thread are Streets and Mort.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:
Where's that article you kept referencing? You are an idiot.
How about if I go dig that article up and produce it you will admit that you are a bully and that for no good reason you attacked me in this thread. Do that and change your beloved Linkin avatar to a picture of the backside of a donkey. Deal or no deal? Let me know soon! Yes people I know already know the internet bully is not going to keep his word.

Post by Guest »

Why do you guys keep feeding this troll?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

My brain hurts.
No posts exist for this topic
StreetWalker

Post by StreetWalker »

So back to the question ...is a Costco going in at Southport????
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetWalker wrote:So back to the question  ...is a Costco going in at Southport????
I believe on Grow Omaha a few weeks ago, they did say it was going there.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

No one is talking about Costco MOVING to Southport. The talk is of Costco opening up a Sarpy County store to compete with Sam's Papillion location.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Or you could say "2nd Costco coming to metro, possibly in Southport development"

It's coming, not going. :lol: ...at least say "going in"
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Brad wrote:
StreetWalker wrote:So back to the question  ...is a Costco going in at Southport????
I believe on Grow Omaha a few weeks ago, they did say it was going there.

Time table on this? Which direction from cabelas?

Post by Guest »

Bump.

And when is the 132/Giles intersection/road getting done?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Guest wrote:Bump.

Right now Costco is still just a rumor. If you Google the name of the intersection and Sarpy you'll easily find Sarpy's master roadwork plan and that will give you your answer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:
Guest wrote:Bump.

Right now Costco is still just a rumor. If you Google the name of the intersection and Sarpy you'll easily find Sarpy's master roadwork plan and that will give you your answer.
http://www.sarpy.com/publicworks/docume ... 2-2018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Design work (at least preliminary) was done several years ago. It will be a BIG change. We had (and should have) had a copy of it. I used it when I did another project at south port (a project that never saw the light of day).
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Costco? Doubtful it will go to Southport.

Post by Guest »

Bingo wrote:Costco?  Doubtful it will go to Southport.
I thought it was mentioned on the Grow Omaha show and that the land was bought just no plans to build yet?
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

SAMs outbid Costco for land so not going on here. SAMs not planning to build just preventing.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Oh come on.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I hope anyone related to Sam Walton dies in a house fire.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:I hope anyone related to Sam Walton dies in a house fire.
What makes you feel that way?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride