Capitol Supper Club

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Capitol Supper Club

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Heard this will be closing
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Capitol Supper Club

Post by Varsity »

I talked to the owners and it is indeed closing. Tonight is their last night. They are planning on opening a similarly themed club/bar in a smaller space closer to the old market and nixing food entirely. With that location and (knock on wood) the shamrock development right across the street, I'm hoping something new will fill that space quickly. They did great on Friday and Saturday nights, but it's still too much of an isolated location for that concept. It gets forgotten about or people are simply too lazy to walk from the old market when they are out for the night.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

No love lost from their neighbors with this closing. People in the 1024 Dodge and Ford Loft buildings always used to complain about street noise and club attendees using their cars as urinals....
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is sad to hear, but like Varsity stated, it is just too isolated on a night when there are no events at the CLink or people just don't want to walk there from the Old Market. I hope for something new as well if Shamrock ever gets built.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A club that allows 18 year olds in is a place that I don't want to be.

Really I am not sure Omaha has much of a market for "nightclubs" anyways. Places like The Hive and Harney Street Tavern are killing it downtown with live music.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:A club that allows 18 year olds in is a place that I don't want to be.

Really I am not sure Omaha has much of a market for "nightclubs" anyways.  Places like The Hive and Harney Street Tavern are killing it downtown with live music.
Yeah I think the live music scene is much better suited for Omaha.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:A club that allows 18 year olds in is a place that I don't want to be.

Really I am not sure Omaha has much of a market for "nightclubs" anyways.  Places like The Hive and Harney Street Tavern are killing it downtown with live music.
Well, the Max was supposedly one of the top 25 nightclubs in the US, which I've heard from several people but have never seen in words.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I think the culture here appreciates live music more than a huge stack of speakers turned up all the way.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Discos have been tried. Nowhere to Dance at Charlies was the last one. Well designed from perspective of sound, but poorly marketed and once they started letting underaged people have dances there, it ceased to be cool for anyone interested in a club type scene. Omaha is spreadout, so you have to drive home and that scares people away from booze all night places. Omaha is a town for people who want to have kids. Those kind of people can afford a trip to the sports bar, but to a club that has a cover and a minimum and bottle fees? Nope.

Bad management and the lack of good design has killed them. The Max is surviving on the gay population. It actually contacted the designer of Nowhere to re-design their sound system, but that didn't go anywhere. I can't see anyone having a good time in a standard disco after seeing how amazing the sound system was in Nowhere. 90% volume falls 10 feet off the dance floor. The dance floor was loud enough that when fully occupied and the DJ cranked it to max volume, it was unsafe for pregnant women. That said, you could speak in a normal volume in the booths on the side of the dance floor.

Just amazing to see how much things changed since the discos of the 70's.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Nowhere was most likely the most poorly conceived waste of money that an Omaha restaurant has ever attempted . Charlie's on the lake is a restaurant.

Adding a club to a restaurant instead of updating the terrible outdated decor was a terrible business move. And Charlie's has tried to sell many times since because of it.

The sound system was no match for a terrible idea.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Yes, we agree on the management fail.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I am glad the Capital is gone. They were bad neighbors, period. Place was always dirty. Beer cans, bottles, cig butts. Loud crowds at 2:am and lets not forget the SHOOTING! Not a good fit for the area.