New restaurant rumors.

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Re: New restaurant rumors.

Post by nativeomahan »

onelocalfoods wrote:Yes it looks like now modern love will move locations to dundee unless they can justify two locations.
Beer and loathing is going to be a new concept by a local you all know and love. The building will be overhauled and some new fun added to it. Great things for dundee.
How many complete re-dos for this building does this make in recent years? Three? Four?
Anyone remember Bomba Dia?
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

It depends on what you consider a redo. Pulling up the carpet and changing the bar isnt what the next tenant will be doing. Complete building overhaul. New amenities and a more dundee-esqe concept. Plus a kicker

Post by Guest »

Third hand rumor but Friend A was told by her Friend B (B works at Modern Love) that they'd be making the Saddle Creek location more of a retail bake shop where people can stop in and buy pies, other desserts, and ice cream when they move to their new spot.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Movement on the national building on 12th and harney.
Offer coming from a restaurant and bar concept seperated on the first and second floor.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

onelocalfoods wrote:Movement on the national building on 12th and harney.
Offer coming from a restaurant and bar concept seperated on the first and second floor.
That would be cool.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Would be very nice to get that building activated again, especially now that there's probably no hope of the Diner lot being developed anytime soon.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am surprised this has been vacant for some time. Who was the last occupant here?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That would be a tough location... since there is no street level. Could do something like Midtown Crossing did with Black Oak and Cantina Loreto and make a street level entrance.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:That would be a tough location... since there is no street level. Could do something like Midtown Crossing did with Black Oak and Cantina Loreto and make a street level entrance.
I think about that all the time when walking by. But the there is plenty of space for a nice outdoor patio and there is already a fence up.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Coyote wrote:I am surprised this has been vacant for some time. Who was the last occupant here?
I believe it was The Bistro, which closed sometime in the late nineties. The space is very large for a restaurant, I kind of thought it would be a good spot for a higher end clothing store like Mario's in Portland or something like that.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

It has flooding issues in the basement level. Beautiful space though. Owner started at 2 million for purchase price and is now asking 2.6 million 4 real estate companies later.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A bar/restaurant called Hopcat is opening in Lincoln and looking at Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

DSM's Zombie Burger looking at Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:DSM's Zombie Burger looking at Omaha.
From the Des Moines Register:
The company is developing plans to open stores in Iowa City and Omaha, although exact locations are still being decided. Additional Zombie Burgers will be the quick-serve models, Rottenberg said.

“Iowa City will be a good test of a university town and Omaha is farther outside our sphere where we aren’t known and where we can test the concept,” he said. Those stores could be open mid to late summer, he said.
I could see this working in AV or maybe Benson. Not sure how it would do in the Old Market since that is more local Omaha restaurants. It is possible that they could try north downtown since the Capitol District project is moving forward.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My sister who lives in Altoona raves over the Zombie Burger, as does a foodie friend. But I have also talked with many DSM residents and they, I guess, have gotten over the initial intrigue and usually get a 'meh' from them. Last year I would have been ecstatic about this news, but now wonder after its entry into our market how it would stand up. Although, now, I don't know what new Burger Joint I would be excited about entering our market, but with this being a 'local' joint, I guess we should be happy about this news.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

iamjacobm wrote:DSM's Zombie Burger looking at Omaha.
I for one am super excited about this. Its been a regular stop for me when I've been in Des Moines for work. Besides the crazy burgers, they've got a great beer selection, and some pretty neat shakes (available alcoholic or non).

I think they'd fill a nice niche in the Omaha burger scene. We've got plenty of burger joints, but they're primarily chain fast food style, and the couple of Omaha local places are more greasy spoon. Think of Zombie more as a trendy place that draws 20-30 somethings. I'd agree, Benson, Blackstone, AV, or the OM/North Downtown would be the ideal locations...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ben wrote: I'd agree, Benson, Blackstone, AV, or the OM/North Downtown would be the ideal locations...
Yeah, If they had thought about this earlier they could have nicely fit into the McFoster's building...
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

The actual food at zombie burger is nothing to write home about. I've been to the original several times and the draw is atmosphere, location and alcohol. A "quick-serve model" zombie burger opening excites me about the same as a new smashburger. Maybe even less.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I love Zombie Burger and always stop in there to eat and have a craft beer when passing through Des Moines. However,
The company is developing plans to open stores in Iowa City and Omaha, although exact locations are still being decided. Additional Zombie Burgers will be the quick-serve models, Rottenberg said.
the quick-serve model is not something I would be interested in. And if they built it downtown, I would never go.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I would MUCH rather have Lincoln's Honest Abe's open in Omaha. Benson would be perfect.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Totally agree. Honest Abe's could open anywhere in Omaha and do well. That place is great.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I love Zombie Burger and always stop in there to eat and have a craft beer when passing through Des Moines. However,
the quick-serve model is not something I would be interested in. And if they built it downtown, I would never go.
Sounds like it needs to be a sit down experience with drinks to be good. That would tell me to skip it. If your burgers can't stand on their own, there are better places to eat.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ThatGuy wrote:Totally agree. Honest Abe's could open anywhere in Omaha and do well. That place is great.

IT is probably mentioned elsewhere here but I Honest Abe's is opening a second location in Lincoln. In the Rail Yard area.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Totally agree. Honest Abe's could open anywhere in Omaha and do well. That place is great.

IT is probably mentioned elsewhere here but I Honest Abe's is opening a second location in Lincoln. In the Rail Yard area.
I know they are opening another at their other restaurant that didn't work out Sebastian's Table, is there another one?
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.espanaomaha.com/event/bye-by ... bye-omaha/
Please keep your eye on our storefront here in Benson for a new and exciting venture; coming in late October 2016! That’s right, Chef Benjamin Maides and Carlos Mendez, España’s owner, are partnering up to bring a fresh culinary concept to Benson. We are excited to continue supporting our thriving community. See you soon!
TankFishman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TankFishman »

I heard the Popeye's on Dodge Street is possibly bringing back their Gizzard Madness promotion. Anyone know if this is true?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TankFishman wrote:I heard the Popeye's on Dodge Street is possibly bringing back their Gizzard Madness promotion. Anyone know if this is true?
I don't want my beloved Popeyes chicken breasts cooked in the same oil as any :koko: gizzards! So lets hope there is no gizzard promotion!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The popular Bellevue Adama's Kebab House will soon (October) open a second location, near 76th and Cass in Omaha. This may be Omaha's only Turkish restaurant. With a larger square footage than the Bellevue location, the Omaha restaurant will feature an expanded dessert menu, as well as Turkish coffees.
Deuces
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Deuces »

TankFishman wrote:I heard the Popeye's on Dodge Street is possibly bringing back their Gizzard Madness promotion. Anyone know if this is true?
I've heard tell of an urban legend about Gizzard Madness. No truth to it as far as I can tell.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

I'm guessing the Zombie burger thing never worked out. Sad.
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

It is absolutely a blessing. Zombie Burger is terrible. Omaha's food is much better than Des Moines. They wouldnt last.