Dr Nancy Snyderman

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ben
Human Relations

Dr Nancy Snyderman

Post by Ben »

Pure speculation here, but anyone else think its more than coincidence that Dr Nancy Snyderman (formerly of NBC news) came to visit her Alma Mater, UNMC, the week before she tendered her resignation to "take a teaching post at a major US medical school"?

I wonder, given her involvement with the Ebola outbreak, if she's going to be taking a position with UNMC and the newly proposed "National Preparedness Center".

Re: Dr Nancy Snyderman

Post by Guest »

I'd hope not. It created a lot of bad press when she didn't quarantine herself. I wouldn't want that press.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Dr Nancy Snyderman

Post by bigredmed »

Guest wrote:I'd hope not. It created a lot of bad press when she didn't quarantine herself. I wouldn't want that press.
She is a faculty member at UPenn. I suspect that that is where she is staying.

We could actually use some media background in our faculty. A lot of our grads go into practice in the area and are constantly asked to do patient ed materials or presentations, and to be on TV for stories. Handling media is a challenge because they tend to interview you for 30-60 minutes and then edit out their fave 35 seconds. Docs frequently end up looking bad on TV (either looking like they are afraid for their lives or mumbling). It would be good to be able to train med students and residents on how to be more effective on TV and radio.

Patient education is critically important in chronic illness management. The delta between an acute event and treatment is a negative prognostic factor. Shortening that delta as much as you can results in better long term outcome. Being better at talking to people and building these resources to educate people and other care providers is a good skill to teach.

She may be useful there. She is an ENT surgeon and UNMC can use more non-operating clinic staff ENT docs as they have lost one to retirement recently and will likely lose another in the not too distant future.

Might work out.