20+ floor residential tower

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

20+ floor residential tower

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I have a friend down by Atlanta who works for a company (can't remember the name) that develops luxury apartment highrises. I was talking to him tonight and he told me that his company has been looking seriously at Omaha and Kansas City. It sounds like they have been building residential towers in Atlanta, Tampa, Denver, Austin, and a few other cities. I can't remember where else he all said. He said if they build in Omaha, it will most likely be a 20+ floor tower (he said most of their towers are in the 20's) but there could also be a possibility that they would do twin towers with one tower being residential and the other tower being a luxury hotel with shared amenities. I asked him about a timeline, and he said it's a few years out if they decide to build in Omaha. He said their company big wigs have flown to Omaha a few times lately and have had lots of good things to say about the city. Omaha has been on their radar for a few years now, but he said there are lots of other cities they are looking at too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 20+ floor residential tower

Post by iamjacobm »

Could be Skyhouse.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:Could be Skyhouse.
What is Skyhouse?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

That's it! The company my friend works for builds the Skyhouses.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That would be neat. I actually don't care if it's cookie-cutter. The building looks nice. I think something like this near or around MTC, the 24th and Farnam area, or around AkSarBen would be neat too.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Novare Group Inc is the actual name of the company my friend works for. Not sure where they would build a skyhouse in Omaha. I'm guessing it would be downtown or maybe by Midtown Crossing. Would be cool if they could do something on the river front, but not sure where.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Novare Group Inc is the actual name of the company my friend works for. Not sure where they would build a skyhouse in Omaha. I'm guessing it would be downtown or maybe by Midtown Crossing. Would be cool if they could do something on the river front, but not sure where.
It would look lovely where Storz Trophy Room is now. Or maybe in one of MECA's oceans of parking.

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If you do an Image search for Skyhouse, you can see that they actually have different styles of buildings.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

With all the new construction planned, and the buildings that were recently completed...is there enough available demand for a high rise like this? I have my doubts.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I do as well. Not right now, anyway. But possibly in the future.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am really confident that there is demand for high rise rentals. The cache and the newness of the living option would be a massive draw. Not to mention everything we build now fills up incredibly fast. Plus we are talking 2019 at best most likely.

It is so weird that people who have complained about our current projects being so small come right back and say they don't think we could support bigger. :?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It's not that I think we can't support bigger, I just think that things tend to be more conservative around here in regards to spending and financing these projects; that we're not willing to put up all the money places like KC and Indianapolis are and suffer consequences later.

Either that, or they remind people of WallStreet tower too much.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thats why we need to get some outside developers in the market. I really like what the local guys have been able to do, but there are a couple developers around the country that would be a welcome addition to the market. Milhaus, Bomasada and Novare are all doing awesome things in urban areas in markets not that much larger than Omaha.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
It is so weird that people who have complained about our current projects being so small come right back and say they don't think we could support bigger. :?
Why? People HOPE for taller, but then realize that Omaha probably won't have capacity for a true 100% Residential high rise right now. Flash forward 10 to 15 years, with Shamrock running along and HDR downtown, and hopefully either Tetrad or Lanoha buzzing...then maybe there will be the drive.
No posts exist for this topic
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

iamjacobm wrote:Thats why we need to get some outside developers in the market. I really like what the local guys have been able to do, but there are a couple developers around the country that would be a welcome addition to the market. Milhaus, Bomasada and Novare are all doing awesome things in urban areas in markets not that much larger than Omaha.
I agree with you. Some people love to be a flag bearer of realism as if they have the monopoly on logic. I know that our downtown could handle this residential tower well. The demand over the next few years could handle this. There was another discussion in another thread about why we dont build tall residential and it has nothing to do with demand, but how much more inexpensive it is to buy properties and convert them, which is still very cool in my eyes.
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

I couldn't agree more. Pretty much every urban residential project lately has been full up or near full by the official move in date. Even the large projects like the Highline and the Wire had absolutely no problem occupying their units. As jobs continue to move toward downtown (HDR, all the UNMC development, etc) and as downtown becomes more of an entertainment option and an overall desirable place to live (Capitol District, North Downtown Developments, any downtown infill) that demand will only increase. Young professionals and the population in general is moving back downtown all across the country regardless of all the momentum that Omaha is seeing right now, and there needs to be options across the board for everybody. No different than one subdivision being nicer or newer than another out in the burbs. It's a trend that isn't going to change in the near future, and Omaha needs to take advantage of it while it can or get left in the dust.

A big reason why it hasn't happened yet is because there is simply too much open land and old buildings available for (re)development at a price low enough for smaller developers to snatch up and build wooden low rise structures and still make a profit with relatively low risk-partly due to the high demand and lack of options for renters. If a developer wants to come in and be a pioneer in the market, I saw welcome. I don't think there are any issues with demand. It's simply low risk/low reward vs higher risk/higher reward. We are in a conservative market, but someone is eventually going to have to test the waters. Let's not forget that even if they decide they want to build in Omaha today, the thing would realistically be opening 3-5 years out. I think Omaha would be ready for it.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Partner up with Lanoha and let's see a 35 story residential/office tower.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NEDodger wrote:Partner up with Lanoha and let's see a 35 story residential/office tower.
Sky house from what I have seen has limited options and doesn't colaborate. With that said I would still love to see them build a tower here.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Good call. I just looked through several of their sites and they all look like literally the exact same building. I'd love to see one of these on the parking lot south of where O Dining was. Bookend the Old Market with glass towers.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

A twin tower by Skyhouse with one tower being residential and the other tower being a hotel might fit in good on the North Side of HOA Park, like the two twin buildings shown on that image of downtown's future development plan. I know someone posted that image in the forum about Lot B in the Urban section.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was at an IT meetup. Was talking with someone there from the Chamber. I asked him about these, and he indicated there is nothing going on with Skyhouse for Omaha. Said they have been approached by other out of down developers for brand new housing projects for DT Omaha (including on site visits), but nothing from these guys. He did seem pretty optimistic on what the final version of Shamrock will be along with the lot at CenturyLink.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:I was at an IT meetup. Was talking with someone there from the Chamber. I asked him about these, and he indicated there is nothing going on with Skyhouse for Omaha. Said they have been approached by other out of down developers for brand new housing projects for DT Omaha (including on site visits), but nothing from these guys. He did seem pretty optimistic on what the final version of Shamrock will be along with the lot at CenturyLink.

Greg
Good info. I am sure it is possible to scout locations or have your eye on a market without having talked to the chamber, optimism :D .
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well we already know what Shamrock will do in regards to height, 12 levels. And the MECA lot we were told won't block the skyline view so it won't be impressive, 11 from the rendering. The origional point was about a 20+ level high rise neither of those two developments Shamrock and Lot B have any chance to offer 20+. So I'm not sure where anyone would get any optimism from that.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What 11 story rendering are you referring to?

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:I can't for the life of me find the rendering that was in one of the master plans that showed a potential plan for Lot B. It had a parking garage with an area on the top floor that included Wrigley-esque seating.

Found a tiny one.

...well 11/12ish.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here is the just for fun idea of where this rumor should happen. With Kiewit moving out of the red box to NDT we tear that building down and get our two 20 floor towers with shared amenities on this block overlooking GLM and Old Market. Make it happen developers 8) .
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:Here is the just for fun idea of where this rumor should happen. With Kiewit moving out of the red box to NDT we tear that building down and get our two 20 floor towers with shared amenities on this block overlooking GLM and Old Market. Make it happen developers 8) .
YES!!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

With all this momentum now is as good of time as any to see something like this actually happen.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm not holding my breath on this. If kiewit moves out, I'm sure other government offices could take it's place to save money. This one will probably be here a while longer.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The director hasn't heard anything about moving.
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The Block behind the State office building is more likely to be redeveloped than the State building being torn down. A larger parking garage with ground level retail could replace the current parking garage and a high rise residential building could replace the Omaha Chamber of Commerce building and what ever that is on the southeast corner. New office space for the Chamber could be built into the new building or on top of the garage.