RIP The Red Box (aka the State Building)

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

RIP The Red Box (aka the State Building)

Post by Coyote »

Not a rumor (yet), but with Kiewit University leaving,
what are the speculations for this building?
Will the State offices move to the Tetrad/Civic property?
Who would be left in the Red Box?
What should take its place?

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Re: RIP The Red Box (aka the State Building)

Post by mr. omaha »

REBUILD!!!

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The dual 20 floor apts/hotel rumor!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The Nebraska services for the blind and visually impaired still occupy a suite but I'll start asking the directer what she's been hearing about if any relocating.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Of all the places in and around downtown Omaha I think this has the most potential for a very high density residential development. The land near the Old Market is super prime and it's in walking distance of the Holland, Orpheum, a grocer, and everything else downtown. Plus, the views of skyline, the Missouri river valley, and the Midtown crossing would be amazing!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:The Nebraska services for the blind and visually impaired still occupy a suite but I'll start asking the directer what she's been hearing about if any relocating.
I was always wondering why there are so many visually impaired people walking around near this building.

I too think that this area is prime for a residential development. Like I mentioned in another thread, being on the fringe of the Old Market but within walking distance to major employers and all the downtown entertainment should appeal to many.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My understanding is some government offices may be going in. I believe State, possibly Workforce Development.

Greg
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

This is quite literally the perfect lot for a large grocery store with many levels of apartments on top, or an urban Target/Walmart with many levels of apartments on top. It's centrally located between employers and Old Market, right on a bus line/major street, etc.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Midwestern wrote:This is quite literally the perfect lot for a large grocery store with many levels of apartments on top, or an urban Target/Walmart with many levels of apartments on top. It's centrally located between employers and Old Market, right on a bus line/major street, etc.
I completely agree!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'll admit, when someone mentioned "The Red Box" I thought you were referring to the taller Red Brick building with no windows downtown that's even uglier than this one.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'll admit, when someone mentioned "The Red Box" I thought you were referring to the taller Red Brick building with no windows downtown that's even uglier than this one.
The poor AT&T building that used to be beautiful.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Linkin5 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I'll admit, when someone mentioned "The Red Box" I thought you were referring to the taller Red Brick building with no windows downtown that's even uglier than this one.
Wait a sec..... there is a beautiful building underneath that monstrosity? Any pics of what it used to look like?
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Midwestern wrote:This is quite literally the perfect lot for a large grocery store with many levels of apartments on top, or an urban Target/Walmart with many levels of apartments on top. It's centrally located between employers and Old Market, right on a bus line/major street, etc.
I completely agree!
It surprises me that if Des Moines could apparently support a downtown Hy-Vee, then why can't Omaha? Isn't the downtown population at least double theirs? And there are a lot of apartments currently under construction.

Dear executives at Hy-Vee: we want one in our downtown too!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Midwestern wrote:
It surprises me that if Des Moines could apparently support a downtown Hy-Vee, then why can't Omaha? Isn't the downtown population at least double theirs? And there are a lot of apartments currently under construction.

Dear executives at Hy-Vee: we want one in our downtown too!!
I am not sure that Omaha's downtown population is larger than Des Moines', they have had quite a few people living downtown for years. Omaha is definitely doing well lately but still trying to get a larger population base downtown.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah I wonder how they draw those boundaries because we rank way up there among Midwestern cities with X amount living within Y miles from the core. And DSM's downtown drops off into parking lots or houses within spitting distance of 801. Anyone have official boundary maps because I think we are getting screwed when compared to them.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:Yeah I wonder how they draw those boundaries because we rank way up there among Midwestern cities with X amount living within Y miles from the core. And DSM's downtown drops off into parking lots or houses within spitting distance of 801. Anyone have official boundary maps because I think we are getting screwed when compared to them.
This website did a pretty good breakdown of Midwestern cities not including Des Moines

http://allcolumbusdata.com/?p=1079
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Linkin5 wrote:
This website did a pretty good breakdown of Midwestern cities not including Des Moines

http://allcolumbusdata.com/?p=1079
Thanks for posting, I was just looking at that as well.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

According to this article, Des Moines had about 8,300 people dt in 2012 and I believe there were estimates in another eomaha thread that put Omaha's dt population at around 15,00 in 2014. So I think it's safe to say Omaha probably has more people in its core.

http://archive.desmoinesregister.com/ar ... own-living
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
Wait...really?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Wait...really?
Yup
http://m.journalstar.com/news/local/jim ... touch=true
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Louie wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Wait...really?
Yup
http://m.journalstar.com/news/local/jim ... touch=true
Well, that's sad :( .
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I knew the building used to look nicer but I had no idea it looked that much better. I wonder what would possess someone to do something like that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:I knew the building used to look nicer but I had no idea it looked that much better. I wonder what would possess someone to do something like that.
I think a lot of that was functionality, I knew someone who used to work there, and she said it was come like a storage unit?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:I knew the building used to look nicer but I had no idea it looked that much better. I wonder what would possess someone to do something like that.

They kept adding on and on to the building thoughout the years during unfortunate times in architecture, similar to the old UP building but way worse.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Sixties possessed a lot of people to do weird things. From what I've heard, which could be wrong and please correct me if so, that section of the building houses a lot of electrical equipment that needs to be kept cool, and having no windows prevents cool air from escaping. At least they tried to use an interesting pattern in the brick.

If I were the city or whoever is in charge of art installations, I would use it as something to hang banners or other pieces of art.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hey, I just realized I used to teach in that building, decades ago.

We called it the S O B for State Office Building.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Someone should start a petition to lobby the mayor to encourage the building to be demolished and redeveloped.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

daveoma wrote:Someone should start a petition to lobby the mayor to encourage the building to be demolished and redeveloped.

Even though the AT&T building is 100x uglier, I'd rather see the Red Box be torn down and re-developed first. But yeah, the AT&T building needs to come down at some point. It's one of the main focal points when driving into DT from the west. *barf*
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Midwestern wrote:
daveoma wrote:Someone should start a petition to lobby the mayor to encourage the building to be demolished and redeveloped.

Even though the AT&T building is 100x uglier, I'd rather see the Red Box be torn down and re-developed first. But yeah, the AT&T building needs to come down at some point. It's one of the main focal points when driving into DT from the west. *barf*
I should've been more specific. I was referring to the red box, not the AT&T building. I do agree that something should be done with the AT&T building. Perhaps the ugly outside covering can be removed? It would be great if there was a highrise apartment district that included the Highline, HL 2.0, the Wire, and someday the AT&T building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mr. omaha wrote:REBUILD!!!

Completely Agree!!!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

daveoma wrote:
Midwestern wrote:

I should've been more specific. I was referring to the red box, not the AT&T building. I do agree that something should be done with the AT&T building. Perhaps the ugly outside covering can be removed? It would be great if there was a highrise apartment district that included the Highline, HL 2.0, the Wire, and someday the AT&T building.
The AT&T Building is owned by CenturyLink and is being remodeled right now, several floors have already been totally redone to hold CenturyLink employees who have moved out of the Omaha World-Herald Building. Also before you tear down the AT&T building and it's ugly extension you should realize that it is the main Central Office for communication in and out of Omaha and about 75% of all phone and Internet traffic in the city travels through that building. So add about a billion dollars to the cost of replacing the building with something prettier.
Last edited by Joe_Sovereign on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The block to the south of The Red Box with The Chamber building and the parking garage is far worse than the Red Box and would be much cheaper to demolish for a new project.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:The block to the south of The Red Box with The Chamber building and the parking garage is far worse than the Red Box and would be much cheaper to demolish for a new project.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I think what makes The Red Box doubly worse is that it borders what should be a prime spot for height/prestige with the Gene Leahy Mall.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Just throwing this out there regarding what Northwestern Bell (AT&T) used to look like and how it impacted the skyline (behind the 'BUS DEPOT' sign)...

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Maybe there should be a push to return it to its origional glory if that's even possible.
15-17, 26, 32
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

If you look closely at the windows on the floor second from the top of the existing AT&T building, you can see that the original arched windows and some of the terracotta still exists from the old facade... Everything that projected beyond the current brick facade was removed and the rest was just left and entombed.

Knowing that makes me sad every time I look at that big brown turd in the sky.
Ford

Post by Ford »

This is an older picture a lot of the windows have been replaced. The infrastructure connecting this building makes it impossible to move or replace.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'd love to see some pictures of the inside, especially in the western half of the building. It's hard to gauge from the doors on street level because they just lead into hallways.

When did all the facade work get stripped? Wikipedia says that it had another story added on to it at some point - I wonder if that was why.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

It is so unfortunate that this giant monstrosity is:

A. One of the tallest buildings in the city

and

B. Apparently very, very important

and

C. Also apparently almost impossible to get rid of because of said importance

:( :( :(
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It used to bother me a lot, but I've accepted it for what it is and what it will be and focused my ire toward other things.

The Bride