Heartland of America Campus

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Heartland of America Campus

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:The easiest part to redevelop would be the north end with the flag promenade and the squatty parking garage. Shift all workers south into the southern three buildings and tear down the northern one.
I'd love to see the flag promenade go away. It would be great to get something back on that corner with the kind of density it used to have....

He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

How about a third entertainment district?
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The flags should go away unless some new tenant that moves in and takes over the space wants them for their business. Frankly, we should condemn the parcel containing said flag entrance and take it down before CAG leaves. One of those "don't go away mad, just go away" messages that speaks to them and to all the companies in the future that want to play us for freebies.

Like I said about the Crossroads, from now on, all "freebies", tax discounts, TIF financing, etc comes at a cost of 1/3 of the cash value of the freebies are returned to the city in the form of common shares of stock in the corporation at hand or 2/3 of the cash value of the freebies in stock in the new development (this premium due to having to hedge our bets that the development will actually be profitable.)

Omaha is a good place to do business, and I am done with corps coming in and bleeding our existing citizens and businesses for tax incentives only to leave.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed wrote:The flags should go away unless some new tenant that moves in and takes over the space wants them for their business. Frankly, we should condemn the parcel containing said flag entrance and take it down before CAG leaves. One of those "don't go away mad, just go away" messages that speaks to them and to all the companies in the future that want to play us for freebies.

Like I said about the Crossroads, from now on, all "freebies", tax discounts, TIF financing, etc comes at a cost of 1/3 of the cash value of the freebies are returned to the city in the form of common shares of stock in the corporation at hand or 2/3 of the cash value of the freebies in stock in the new development (this premium due to having to hedge our bets that the development will actually be profitable.)

Omaha is a good place to do business, and I am done with corps coming in and bleeding our existing citizens and businesses for tax incentives only to leave.
:clap:
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Would they have to wait for Conagra to completley move out before building on the lots?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Would they have to wait for Conagra to completley move out before building on the lots?
I would think so because conagra owns most of the land on which the buildings are situated. The mayor also said that a development company named opus owns some of the land too. I'd love to see a map of who owns what.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I've got to think that right now Opus becomes a pretty key partner in whatever happens going forward?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They probably won't be too happy to see any of their buildings torn down... Do we know which ones they still own?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RNcyanide wrote:They probably won't be too happy to see any of their buildings torn down... Do we know which ones they still own?
According to DOGIS, the southernmost, and the easternmost building are both non-ConAgra owned.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ConAgra will still employ 1200 people on this campus. They own at least two buildings. They will still have a major presence on the riverfront...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If you think Lot B has a long timeline strap in for the long haul here. Also whichever buildings ConAgra has their food labs in are staying put so fugure that out and you know what is free.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

According to information from earlier in this thread, the two buildings most likely to be vacated by ConAgra are the two northernmost buildings, especially the one farthest north which is their "HQ" building.

Now which of the buildings are actually OWNED by ConAgra, I have no idea. I don't think anyone has given us that info yet.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think it's the smallest one in the middle of the campus, the one with the food lab...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Midwestern wrote:According to information from earlier in this thread, the two buildings most likely to be vacated by ConAgra are the two northernmost buildings, especially the one farthest north which is their "HQ" building.

Now which of the buildings are actually OWNED by ConAgra, I have no idea. I don't think anyone has given us that info yet.
Garrett wrote: According to DOGIS, the southernmost, and the easternmost building are both non-ConAgra owned.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:If you think Lot B has a long timeline strap in for the long haul here. Also whichever buildings ConAgra has their food labs in are staying put so fugure that out and you know what is free.

To be honest, I'm not counting on anything happening here for at least a decade, possibly 15 years. It's so hard to predict because we won't really know about anything else until they pack up and gtfo.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'm more optimistic....I think we'll see them add the word "Former" to "World Headquarters" on their sign in 2016.

But seriously, it would make sense to lose the flags as soon as the HQ is gone. I can't imagine any new tenants/corporations that may occupy the former HQ building wanting to utilize that pretentious display.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

GetUrban wrote:I'm more optimistic....I think we'll see them add the word "Former" to "World Headquarters" on their sign in 2016.

But seriously, it would make sense to lose the flags as soon as the HQ is gone. I can't imagine any new tenants/corporations that may occupy the former HQ building wanting to utilize that pretentious display.
Con Agra doesn't own the Green Space or the Road with the Flags and neither does the city. ConAgra is leasing the land from an outside developer who purchased it from Con Agra. It would be interesting to see what the terms of that deal are and if ConAgra or the developer are willing to renegotiated that deal.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I'm more optimistic....I think we'll see them add the word "Former" to "World Headquarters" on their sign in 2016.

Con Agra doesn't own the Green Space or the Road with the Flags and neither does the city. ConAgra is leasing the land from an outside developer who purchased it from Con Agra. It would be interesting to see what the terms of that deal are and if ConAgra or the developer are willing to renegotiated that deal.
Who is the outside developer?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The DC Assessor says they are owned by Conagra Foods Inc.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Linkin5 wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:

Who is the outside developer?
The outside developer who owns part of the campus is Opus Group.

But it's good that the green space is owned directly by ConAgra, that way they will hopefully sell it off... the sooner the better. Or worst case scenario, the city could make moves to take that land or make it be developed.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Opus originally developed the campus. Although the only owners of the campus I see listed on DCGIS are Conagra, CAGR LLC, COLE OFC Omaha, and Omaha Real Estate Invesment....don't see Opus listed.