Christian Specht Building Rumor!!!

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Christian Specht Building Rumor!!!

Post by Brad »

I will be announcing an Awesome Rumor about the Christian Specht Building tomorrow on Grow Omaha. Grow Omaha is on 1110 KFAB every Saturday from 9am to 10am.
nebraska
Library Board

Re: Christian Specht Building Rumor!!!

Post by nebraska »

It's 9:10 in the morning. What is it already!?
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard from a good source that a local philanthropic group is going to move the Christian Specht Building From its current location to an empty lot near or in the Old Market!

I first head this rumor last month and at that time the rumor included the Happy Hollow Coffee building, but now it appears it's just going to be the Christian Specht Building.

I sure hope this is true! Save a building and get rid of a surface lot too...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They could really move it?? How would it not crumble apart?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This 1888 house in Chicago was moved in 2014.
Moving the 762-ton house will be a monumental job, involving 29 remote-controlled hydraulic dollies with a total of 232 wheels. The total weight, including equipment, is 1,050 tons.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

It might be easier/cheaper/safer to build a replica of the two existing exterior brick side and walls and rear wall on the new lot (all held up by temporary steel bracing), then transfer the facade of the Specht to the front of the new shell, then transfer all of the original interior support columns and major structural beams/other components to the new shell, then once everything is tied back together remove the temporary supports by crane through the top and then transfer the freight elevator and the roof structure, then transfer the original floors, finishes, etc. Everything in the new location would be original except for the exterior side walls and back wall (but looking at the existing building, there are plenty of signs that much exterior brick has been replaced/altered from original already). At any rate, again, this might be a safer, cheaper, and easier alternative to moving the building, and it would greatly reduce the chance of catastrophic failure during the move.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Perhaps it could be placed where the diner is now?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That is great news! Given its skinny facade, it would be best to put it right next to other buildings from the same context/era, such as the 12th & Harney diner site, as mentioned. I wish the Happy Hollow Coffee building could be moved too.
The 12th & Harney site lends itself more to a building with a facade on the north and west sides though.
It will be fun to see this happen if it turns out to be true.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

It should not be too difficult to move the building. I have seen much taller and thinner structures moved. I was really hoping that they would move everything half a block east and fill the surface parking lots next to the Pinnacle Bank building. I love that building, but it looks so lonely there all by itself :(

If M's Pub can't be saved will Christian Specht fit in that area? I will be happily surprised if the M's building can be saved. It will probably be too dangerous to enter as long duration fire impingement will have weakened any steel or iron structural elements, and water freezing in the brick walls will cause frost heaving.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Spatial77 wrote:It should not be too difficult to move the building. I have seen much taller and thinner structures moved. I was really hoping that they would move everything half a block east and fill the surface parking lots next to the Pinnacle Bank building. I love that building, but it looks so lonely there all by itself :(

If M's Pub can't be saved will Christian Specht fit in that area? I will be happily surprised if the M's building can be saved. It will probably be too dangerous to enter as long duration fire impingement will have weakened any steel or iron structural elements, and water freezing in the brick walls will cause frost heaving.
I sense something like this happening in the future ^
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I would rather see new construction at the Mercer site if that building is not saved... Though, I worry about building use at that site As it is, Specht would be better suited for mid block in one of those parking lots at 10th/11th and Harney.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They'd have to change the layout of the building next door. The front world have to face south, and it would block people's windows on the easy side of the next building.

The Bride
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

How about the narrow parking lot to the east of the building that houses Wilson and Washburn?
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

mr. omaha wrote:How about the narrow parking lot to the east of the building that houses Wilson and Washburn?
That's actually exactly where I was thinking about. Helps that there are no windows on that side of the building either, and it would fit in nicely with that block. Any graphic designers want to put something together showing the building in a few different locations? I can attempt to when I get off work, but would be cool to see.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Here's the best I can do in MSPaint:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:banger: :banana: :banger:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, that would look great there.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

Holy |expletive|, that looks awesome there!
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

The facade portion does fit in well with the Wilson & Washburn building, but I would much prefer to see it be placed in the middle of a block because having a big blank wall with no windows right up to the street is never ideal in my opinion, especially in a location so close to the Old Market.

I've always hoped that a thin building that had an entrance to the corner plus street level windows along 14th st would be built in that spot some day.

I think it would look good on the eastern end of that cluster of similar looking buildings between 13th-14th and Howard, and then there would be room to build something with windows to the street to the east of the Specht.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

Midwestern wrote: I think it would look good on the eastern end of that cluster of similar looking buildings between 13th-14th and Howard, and then there would be room to build something with windows to the street to the east of the Specht.
I can get behind this idea as well. The JP Cooke building on that block is beautiful and reminds me of the Specht quite a bit.

I really really really (really really) hope that the M's Pub building on 11th and Harney doesn't need to come down but was trying to think about a configuration there with the Specht and Happy Hollow buildings. I don't think any work out.
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

Even if they are able to save the exterior of the M’s pub building (and I doubt that they will). Current city code will likely not allow the kitchen and prep area to be in the basement again meaning that they will likely need to expand to the east. The facade of the Specht building would fit nicely in the space where the current loading dock is.

Having never been in the Specht building I do not know what the interior is like, reclaim the wood floors, assuming they have them and use it in the rebuild of M’s.

The Specht is cool on the front only, other than that it is just a brick box. I can’t imagine why someone would actually try and move it. Hate me if you want but just my opinion.

And as long as you are going to hate me, I say get those walls down asap at M’s and rebuild in the same exterior style. It is going to be more damaging to the old market to keep this shell in place. OR and this is just crazy talk ,…. Hire an artist and use 3D printer tech to mold the new building to have an exterior that looks like the ice palace it has become. Memorialize this as it is covered in ice. Would be VERY COOL and touristy!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

vvindows10 wrote:Even if they are able to save the exterior of the M’s pub building (and I doubt that they will). Current city code will likely not allow the kitchen and prep area to be in the basement again meaning that they will likely need to expand to the east.
First Off, The Kitchen was not in the basement, it was right up by the front door, you could see it north of the bar. Second, I don't know interior building code, but why can't a kitchen be in the basement? Hotels, Hospitals, ect, prep and cook food in the "basement" and take it up to whatever floor needs it.

All that said, I would think the two biggest code issues to rebuilding M's would be the ramp at the front door and the restrooms in the basement.

But back to the Specht Building... What about the Diner Lot? Isn't that still for sale?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

And just for the heck of it....

mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

mr. omaha wrote:And just for the heck of it....

YES PLEASE!

Also, are you taking requests? Can we see it on the JP Cooke block (14th and Howard). You are a saint :)
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'll vote for the Specht and Happy Hollow Coffee (HHC) building on the diner lot at 12th & Harney, with a nice shady seating are along the side of HHC on 12th. That building isn't as deep as the Specht, so the outdoor seating area could expand behind the HHC. Nice work on the images Mr Omaha!

Moving them into the OM proper will better protect them from future demo threats from John Gottschalk, Conagra, HDR, & friends.

Maybe need to find a new location for the Diner too...on some other vacant lot.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

While we're at it, One First National would look great in some of the ConAgra space...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Garrett wrote:While we're at it, One First National would look great in some of the ConAgra space...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

mr. omaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:While we're at it, One First National would look great in some of the ConAgra space...
Dreams do come true!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

vvindows10 wrote: The Specht is cool on the front only, other than that it is just a brick box. I can’t imagine why someone would actually try and move it. Hate me if you want but just my opinion.
I agree. I've never been inside, so I don't know what, if any, historic millwork is left on the inside, but unless it's floor-to-ceiling rare hardwood, there's no way it makes sense, economically or historically to move the entire building. It's far easier and cheaper to disassemble the facade and reconstruct it elsewhere. Plan brick veneer walls are still easy and cheap enough to build, so if they want to replicate those, you could rebuild it very successfully elsewhere without changing the appearance.

I also agree that it would look pretty lame on a corner lot. It would look even worse than houses laid out for an interior lot plopped on a corner.