Westroads Auto Dealership Moving to 370 & I80

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jeff Beals mentioned on this morning's Grow Omaha Radio show that there is a RUMOR that all the Westroads Car Dealerships are moving to where the barn is on 370 and I80 and that a new office park would be built on the west side of Westroads Mall.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Westroads Auto Dealership Moving to 370 & I80

Post by daveoma »

Brad wrote:Westroads Auto Dealership Moving to 370 & I80

Jeff Beals mentioned on this morning's Grow Omaha Radio show that there is a RUMOR that all the Westroads Car Dealerships are moving to where the barn is on 370 and I80 and that a new office park would be built on the west side of Westroads Mall.
Interesting, I wonder what would replace them...office buildings perhaps?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:

Yep :;):
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:

Yep :;):
Is it too soon to plant the HDR seed here yet?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That's too bad for those that enjoyed the convenience of the "central" Westroads location, including myself. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected. Car dealerships have always had the need to increase the size of their lots. At least they'll still be fairly easy to get to from I-80 / 370.

It wouldn't be a bad location for a TD Ameritrade-sized office building located where Markel is now, although access might be a problem through the Westroads outer road system.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh wow, I've talked to somebody about this VERY idea! I was hoping that would happen someday, but always thought sarcastically "Yeah right it will." I just feel that is such prime land for gorgeous office buildings right off I-680, and adjacent to a major, hip mall. So many cities have that kind of set-up (the mall ringed with office buildings). That ultra-valuable land doesn't need to be gobbled up with car dealerships that can sit out on any other ole' parcel of land. That would be so awesome!

Can you imagine coming around that I-680 'S' curve and seeing beautiful office buildings standing fairly tall by Westroads?! That would be awesome.

IMO, we need a landmark office building to "anchor" West Omaha right there (just like Overland Park, KS has the pyramid-peaked, top-needled Lighton Center). Perhaps the Ameritrade is already the "anchor" already, but I was hoping for something more architecturally striking. I don't think Omaha really is a city that sports apex-needled buildings as well as Kansas City does, but still, we need something that kinda "stakes" West Omaha and is a definite landmark of the metro, imo. (It's so funny how we got the surprisingly tall Commercial Federal/T&T building on 72nd Street in the mid-70's, but we can barely hope for anything that tall in suburban Omaha now. Why is that? I hope that changes.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That hill would be a great spot for a nice office building. Up on the hill with great exposure.

I hope they work garages into this potential office park to get more leasable space in the area. From what I have heard the Old Mill/Regency/Westroads area is going to be really popular over these next few years for office users. Some brokers have been saying that far West Omaha is becoming just as difficult to access for half the metro as DTO is. The 680 Dodge interchange is so easy for the entire metro to get to where you don't essentially cut a lot of potential employees out.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So could this be a "secondary downtown" like was imagined at 72nd and Dodge a while back?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:So could this be a "secondary downtown" like was imagined at 72nd and Dodge a while back?
I think it will continue to redevelop with strong office anchors, but it will still be one of the least walkable parts of the city. I wouldn't describe it as a second "downtown" any more than the West Dodge office park is a "downtown." I think it will continue to be a major job center though, if thats what you were getting at.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:I think it will continue to be a major job center though, if thats what you were getting at.
For the most part. Yes, if anything it would be a suburban downtown (which seems contradictory, I know).