Menards (Stony Brook)

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Menards (Stony Brook)

Post by Coyote »

I heard an unreliable rumor that the former StonyBrook KMart was to become a Menards.
Anyone heard anything about this bay?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

Post by RNcyanide »

That would be a dinky Menards.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:That would be a dinky Menards.
That was my first reaction which made me think that it was unreliable...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I heard an unreliable rumor that the former StonyBrook KMart was to become a Menards.
Anyone heard anything about this bay?
I thought we had a thread on this. We talked about it on Grow Omaha when I was on 6/11.

The Rumor was Super Saver was moving to where Bag & Save closed a mile west on 156th and Q, then Menards was going to the Super Saver/Kmart area.

Super Saver is about 8 acres
Kmart is about 8 acres
Menards in Elkhorn is 17 acres
Menards in Ralston is 17 acres

So it looks like if they do go there, they would need both lots.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Will they rebuild or use the existing buildings? Is the Gas station going also then?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Will they rebuild or use the existing buildings? Is the Gas station going also then?
LOL... Menards already sells Bacon, Eggs, and 2x4's, why not keep the gas station too :;):
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:Menards already sells Bacon, Eggs
Really? Why?
nebugeater
City Council

Menards (Stony Brook)

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:Menards already sells Bacon, Eggs
Really? Why?

As crazy as it sounds if you don't frequent there they have a small grocery section.

Milk, cereal, liminted can good, some frozen items etc.

NEver bought any of it but I also go to Lowes or HD over Menards any chance I can.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Menards (Stony Brook)

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I really like the idea of having a Menards out here in Millard and would throw down a little cash in there. Supersaver should just pack it in and go back to Lincoln if they know whats good for them. Supersaver is getting destroyed by the nice HyVee on Stonybrook Blvd. People are just to smart out here in Millard to go to a dump like SuperSaver when a HyVee is close by. If they move to 156th & Q and then they are close to the Hyvee on 180th & Q.Besides I think its safe to say there is some kind of curse on that 156th & Q strip mall with 2 warehouse grocery stores ending bad there already. I hope Supersaver does stay but I can't believe they are that foolish.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have neighbors that are geeked out about a close Menards, but I hope they demo that mess and build new, IIRC, they did that on 120th & W Dodge...? But I just have to wonder about Supersaver and what niche they are trying to cater to in the Omaha Market. Granted their Meat Market had a reputation, but their 'lower' prices were hit and miss compared to Hy-Vee and Bakers. I know it's the wrong thread to put this, but since Albertson's left and Kroger took over Bakers... It seems Hy-Vee is killing the Market and now with the Stony Brook Hy-Vee being built here these acres are better served with a Menards and Supersaver at the old Cubs/Sunmarket/B&S will just demise...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, I don't see why Super Saver would want to move to a smaller retail bay that has been a revolving door for grocery store tenants since it opened.

Super Saver's current location has over 90k sq feet of retail space. The old SunMart/Cub Foods/Bag N Save location has only 80ish thousand square feet.

Two companies out of the same address in St. Louis own the K-Mart and Super Saver lots.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just a quick though on Menards moving into the old Kmart location. Wouldn't it almost have to be a demo and rebuild? The first thing that comes to mind for me is that isn't the overall ceiling height in the Kmart building a lot lower than the typical Menards or any home improvement store. May be wrong on this but going from memory it seems this way and Menards uses all the height in a lot of the store footprint.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nebugeater wrote:Just a quick though on Menards moving into the old Kmart location. Wouldn't it almost have to be a demo and rebuild? The first thing that comes to mind for me is that isn't the overall ceiling height in the Kmart building a lot lower than the typical Menards or any home improvement store. May be wrong on this but going from memory it seems this way and Menards uses all the height in a lot of the store footprint.
Yeah that's what I thought, not to mention there isn't a lot of space for their typical lumber yard. I'd this a for sure thing now??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just talked with someone at Menard and yes, since there is no room for the lumber yard it will have to be a rebuild.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

When Menards built in Fremont at first there was no lumber yard. All the lumber they had was inside the main store.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

nebugeater wrote:When Menards built in Fremont at first there was no lumber yard. All the lumber they had was inside the main store.
That was at the original store, which was a repurposed WalMart. When they built the new store down the road, it included the lumber yard. I recall the reasoning for not having a lumber yard at the original location being based on pressure from other lumberyards in town, but I don't know if that was simply a rumor.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
nebugeater wrote:When Menards built in Fremont at first there was no lumber yard. All the lumber they had was inside the main store.
That was at the original store, which was a repurposed WalMart. When they built the new store down the road, it included the lumber yard. I recall the reasoning for not having a lumber yard at the original location being based on pressure from other lumberyards in town, but I don't know if that was simply a rumor.
Pretty sure that that is not a rumor and it was a fact.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

If Super Saver moved to 156th and Q, I wonder if they would build a gas station. There's already a gas station in that plaza, Casey's.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Super Saver isn't moving to 156th and Q because somebody already signed a lease.

Pretty sure Menards isn't happening
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Super Saver isn't moving to 156th and Q because somebody already signed a lease.

Who is the "somebody"
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Super Saver isn't moving to 156th and Q because somebody already signed a lease.

Who is the "somebody"
Someone bought a trampoline party franchise and is sticking it in the dead grocery store on 156th & Q.
n on the corner to

http://www.urbanairtrampolinepark.com/

Question is, if Menards was buying the old Kmart building wouldn't they buy the old Smacks/Buckys gas station that was on the corner. That gas station has a for sale sign on it right now.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:

Who is the "somebody"
The Bag N Save thread was locked, so I made a new thread.
http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18321
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Thanks

I did see the other thread after I saw this and asked.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The Menards deal is dead for sure I heard a few days ago. Supersaver is staying put with no plans to leave. They are looking for a long term tenant for K-marts space and currently have had no good offers. There have been some offers but none of them were for at least 3 years which is the minimum they will accept.
Zip250

Post by Zip250 »

I heard super saver is moving to a space on 144th and Center where bag N Save used to be and Menards will take both KMart and super savers lots. Also hearing both properties have been sold to developers
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Super Saver moving from their own building along a busy road to a leased strip mall bay still doesn't seem logical.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

jessep28 wrote:Super Saver moving from their own building along a busy road to a leased strip mall bay still doesn't seem logical.
Well. Pat Raybould is an idiot, so this wouldn't shock me.
ZippityZip

Post by ZippityZip »

Zip250 wrote:I heard super saver is moving to a space on 144th and Center where bag N Save used to be and Menards will take both KMart and super savers lots. Also hearing both properties have been sold to developers

Where did Bag N Save used to be on 144th and Center? I have always known it to be where it is currently at, now under the Family Fare name.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Supersaver is a slum. Nobody in their right mind goes there instead of Hy-Vee next door. Back in the 80's when I lived in Benson it was always a good idea to avoid the No Frills on 80th & Blondo unless you liked shopping with every weirdo and scrounge in that end of town. Now I live in Millard and Supersaver is the same way. Most people in Millard won't go near Supersaver but our less then savory crowd loves the place. My prediciton is that Supersaver will just close someday soon and not move anywhere else.

I heard from a pretty good source that the Menards deal was dead in the water a year ago. One of the reasons was that Menards decided that the property was not big enough.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

That Super Saver has a warehouse club feel to it, but it's always been clean whenever I've been in there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also has a good meat dept.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Supersaver is a slum. Nobody in their right mind goes there instead of Hy-Vee next door. Back in the 80's when I lived in Benson it was always a good idea to avoid the No Frills on 80th & Blondo unless you liked shopping with every weirdo and scrounge in that end of town. Now I live in Millard and Supersaver is the same way. Most people in Millard won't go near Supersaver but our less then savory crowd loves the place. My prediciton is that Supersaver will just close someday soon and not move anywhere else.

I heard from a pretty good source that the Menards deal was dead in the water a year ago. One of the reasons was that Menards decided that the property was not big enough.
I get the feel Millard isn't as nice as it's made out to be. A lot of cheaply built, poorly maintained houses that could easily sell for under $100,000, decrepit strip malls and other businesses. I have the same feeling about 108th to 132nd and Maple area.

Off topic, but I've always felt areas that have the crappy cookie-cutter type homes will eventually become "low-income" because they just aren't good houses. They will depreciate to the point low-income types will be able to move in and that will be it. It won't happen quickly, but it will happen.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I predict that the next business to move into the old K-mart location will be Spirit Halloween.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Coyote wrote:Also has a good meat dept.
Seriously :what:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Silverspoon wrote:I predict that the next business to move into the old K-mart location will be Spirit Halloween.
I was told that they will not lease for less then 2 years and they prefer at least a 3 year lease.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Supersaver is a slum. Nobody in their right mind goes there instead of Hy-Vee next door. Back in the 80's when I lived in Benson it was always a good idea to avoid the No Frills on 80th & Blondo unless you liked shopping with every weirdo and scrounge in that end of town. Now I live in Millard and Supersaver is the same way. Most people in Millard won't go near Supersaver but our less then savory crowd loves the place. My prediciton is that Supersaver will just close someday soon and not move anywhere else.

I get the feel Millard isn't as nice as it's made out to be. A lot of cheaply built, poorly maintained houses that could easily sell for under $100,000, decrepit strip malls and other businesses. I have the same feeling about 108th to 132nd and Maple area.

Off topic, but I've always felt areas that have the crappy cookie-cutter type homes will eventually become "low-income" because they just aren't good houses. They will depreciate to the point low-income types will be able to move in and that will be it. It won't happen quickly, but it will happen.
Completely agree. Nobody is going to invest in those properties and update them. So they will just degrade over time.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

jessep28 wrote:That Super Saver has a warehouse club feel to it, but it's always been clean whenever I've been in there.
I've never had a problem w/ it.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Back in the 80's when I lived in Benson it was always a good idea to avoid the No Frills on 80th & Blondo unless you liked shopping with every weirdo and scrounge in that end of town.
I worked there 1987-88. Drunks, thugs and drunk thugs.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Louie wrote:Completely agree. Nobody is going to invest in those properties and update them. So they will just degrade over time.
I work with someone who does do it. He basically just updates the curb appeal, makes cheap cosmetic improvements and turns it over quickly. Great way to make money at the expense of the buyer. But I don't think an actual homeowner should make upgrades at their own cost. Like you said, nobody should do it because it just won't gain them anything in property value. There's just a certain ceiling that the cookie-cutter type home can reach and it is pretty darn low.
Zip250

Post by Zip250 »

Anyone heard any news on super saver in Millard? Looks like U-Haul is in the the K-Mart space. Not sure if this is temporary for U-Haul? I’m hearing Super Saver is on 3 month leases, so not sure if the Menards deal is quite dead yet