Mutual of Omaha Plans for the Future?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

BGTT

Re: Mutual of Omaha Plans for the Future?

Postby BGTT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Cardinal wrote:Ever heard of Turner Park?

Was Turner Park bigger before Mutual came in? What was west of 31st Ave. before Mutual came in?

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm

BGTT wrote:

Was Turner Park bigger before Mutual came in? What was west of 31st Ave. before Mutual came in?

It was smaller. 31st St went through from Farnam to Dodge without the oval in the middle. Midtown Crossing added the part that is west of 31st Street. West of 31st used to be a surface parking lot, a small office building, and a church I think.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Cardinal wrote:If you can cite a city code that prohibits a park from being exchanged or developed I'd be glad to take a look at it.

I don't know that there is a law against it. I looked briefly and couldn't find one. Maybe there's something that says a new park must be built of the same size in the general area. Regardless, it's always a really big urban faux pas to develop a park. Municipal governments just don't sell off municipal park land to be developed. So don't bet on Turner Park becoming their new headquarters, at least not without a plan for a new Turner Park somewhere close by.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

BGTT

Postby BGTT » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
BGTT wrote:

It was smaller. 31st St went through from Farnam to Dodge without the oval in the middle. Midtown Crossing added the part that is west of 31st Street. West of 31st used to be a surface parking lot, a small office building, and a church I think.

I'm speaking like a LONG time ago. Like 1920's early. Wondering if there ever was a different layout.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation

Postby NovakOmaha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 pm

choke2 wrote:
magis wrote:Just catching up on this wonderful blog! I am an owner at the Twin Towers Condos. I have heard that some folks have conversed with the real estate crew at MOO--they have no desire to buy the Twin Towers. In any case, as the original poster hinted, you won't be able to get the super majority required by the by-laws to agree to an offer to purchase all the condos from the current 100+ owners. Thats what I like about condos---I don't care how big the interested company is, they cannot simply walk up and buy the building. I believe there was a time that MOO may have had a better chance of doing so. But it was a catch 22--at the time before the redevelopment they would not have really had the interest in trying to acquire the whole building for the owners--and maybe the owners would not have sold. After all, many of the original purchasers of the condos in the 1980's bought them outright for as low as $25,000. That gives folks good security as they age. And now in the last 5 years the HOA (i.e. the owners of all the condos)for Twin Towers have upgraded the chiller, replaced the roof, remodeled the common areas extensively and purchased two new elevators. This was an expensive capital investment that the owners themselves paid for. They see good value in the building and have hope of good appreciation in the coming years.

Let's face it, that area had some serious issues and if it wasn't for MOO, the Twin Towers wouldn't be seeing any appreciation in the coming years. You'd still looking out your windows at those ugly concrete tubes and a bunch of homeless in Turner Park. The only thing the area had going for it was the KFC buffet.

KFC buffet...that made me laugh

Back in the 90s my dad & I were looking for a quick lunch. I saw the KFC & suggested we eat there. It would be cheap & quick. We walked in & before we paid we were standing in line & both of us watched as a kid, maybe 8 or 9, stuck his finger in the gravy on the buffet & then licked his finger & then did it again. My dad looked at me & then did a 180 & walked right out the door. We drove to Lanskys. It wasn't the quick lunch we hoped for but at least if someone stuck their finger in our lunch they had the decency to do it in the kitchen, out of our view.

Return to “Rumors”