Mutual Campus Redevelopment (33rd & Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BGTT

Re: Mutual of Omaha Plans for the Future?

Post by BGTT »

Cardinal wrote:Ever heard of Turner Park?
Was Turner Park bigger before Mutual came in? What was west of 31st Ave. before Mutual came in?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

BGTT wrote:
Was Turner Park bigger before Mutual came in? What was west of 31st Ave. before Mutual came in?
It was smaller. 31st St went through from Farnam to Dodge without the oval in the middle. Midtown Crossing added the part that is west of 31st Street. West of 31st used to be a surface parking lot, a small office building, and a church I think.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Cardinal wrote:If you can cite a city code that prohibits a park from being exchanged or developed I'd be glad to take a look at it.
I don't know that there is a law against it. I looked briefly and couldn't find one. Maybe there's something that says a new park must be built of the same size in the general area. Regardless, it's always a really big urban faux pas to develop a park. Municipal governments just don't sell off municipal park land to be developed. So don't bet on Turner Park becoming their new headquarters, at least not without a plan for a new Turner Park somewhere close by.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
BGTT

Post by BGTT »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
BGTT wrote:
It was smaller. 31st St went through from Farnam to Dodge without the oval in the middle. Midtown Crossing added the part that is west of 31st Street. West of 31st used to be a surface parking lot, a small office building, and a church I think.
I'm speaking like a LONG time ago. Like 1920's early. Wondering if there ever was a different layout.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

choke2 wrote:
magis wrote:Just catching up on this wonderful blog! I am an owner at the Twin Towers Condos. I have heard that some folks have conversed with the real estate crew at MOO--they have no desire to buy the Twin Towers. In any case, as the original poster hinted, you won't be able to get the super majority required by the by-laws to agree to an offer to purchase all the condos from the current 100+ owners. Thats what I like about condos---I don't care how big the interested company is, they cannot simply walk up and buy the building. I believe there was a time that MOO may have had a better chance of doing so. But it was a catch 22--at the time before the redevelopment they would not have really had the interest in trying to acquire the whole building for the owners--and maybe the owners would not have sold. After all, many of the original purchasers of the condos in the 1980's bought them outright for as low as $25,000. That gives folks good security as they age. And now in the last 5 years the HOA (i.e. the owners of all the condos)for Twin Towers have upgraded the chiller, replaced the roof, remodeled the common areas extensively and purchased two new elevators. This was an expensive capital investment that the owners themselves paid for. They see good value in the building and have hope of good appreciation in the coming years.
Let's face it, that area had some serious issues and if it wasn't for MOO, the Twin Towers wouldn't be seeing any appreciation in the coming years. You'd still looking out your windows at those ugly concrete tubes and a bunch of homeless in Turner Park. The only thing the area had going for it was the KFC buffet.
KFC buffet...that made me laugh

Back in the 90s my dad & I were looking for a quick lunch. I saw the KFC & suggested we eat there. It would be cheap & quick. We walked in & before we paid we were standing in line & both of us watched as a kid, maybe 8 or 9, stuck his finger in the gravy on the buffet & then licked his finger & then did it again. My dad looked at me & then did a 180 & walked right out the door. We drove to Lanskys. It wasn't the quick lunch we hoped for but at least if someone stuck their finger in our lunch they had the decency to do it in the kitchen, out of our view.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Anyone wanna post some quotes from the WH article?
#gohawks
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

buildomaha wrote:Anyone wanna post some quotes from the WH article?
Mutual of Omaha plans new $200 million-plus headquarters near current midtown campus
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“My planning assumption is to be in midtown. We’ve got a presence in midtown. We like midtown. ... It would take a lot for me to want to move” elsewhere in the city.

The fate of the existing building isn’t certain, he said.

“Worst case scenario, we knock it down,” he said, but some or all of the building could be converted to other uses, such as residences or commercial space compatible with Mutual’s $365 million Midtown Crossing development just to the east or the Blackstone district just to the west.
Now Mutual has hired Hines, a Houston real estate development company, and Gensler, a New York architecture, design and planning firm, to make a formal study for the new headquarters that will take about a year.

Construction would begin about six months after that and be completed within four or five years. Mutual’s staff will work from the existing building until the new headquarters opens.

The formal study will look at current space and needs, and review options for location, design, timing and budget, Blackledge said. It will examine whether it must include a data center, which would add considerable expense.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh my gosh. Don't get me wrong; I love the idea of Mutual of Omaha getting a sparking new headquarters that is very sharp in design. But, there is just SOMETHING about that bold, black, stair-stepping profile on Dodge with Mutual's circular logo that is soooooooo "OMAHA!" to me. It is exciting in its own way, and is so prolific on the cityscape. I hate the idea of that going away. Can't they spare that signature, unique, beautiful art deco building, and incorporate the new campus around it -- or something?

I remember I traveled to NYC in 2015, and when I got way back out to Omaha (which used to be the far-out wilderness/frontier with roaming Native Americans, even when NYC and Boston and Philly were becoming urban cities in the East), I was happy to see the Woodmen, the FNC, and Mutual's building. Those structures totally help create & make-up this "OMAHA" on the Plains.

I mean, if they knock that down, it almost feels like we should just knock down the Woodmen while we're at it, too. Those structures literally MAKE Omaha for what it is. Architecture sticks in the heart & mind. For example: I still have NOT warmed up to New York's new look -- and probably never will. Those new skyscrapers around Wall Street are sleek & cool...yet...it's haunting those twin, blocky skyscrapers are missing. That's the power of architecture on the mind, heart, senses.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Any thoughts or speculation about the size of the building or location in Midtown? And if they decide to build elsewhere, any ideas?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote:Clarification: An earlier version of this story said Mutual plans to build its new headquarters once the yearlong study determines key details such as location, design and budget. Company officials say, however, that a final decision by Mutual’s board of directors to build the headquarters won't be made until the study is completed.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
OWH wrote:Clarification: An earlier version of this story said Mutual plans to build its new headquarters once the yearlong study determines key details such as location, design and budget. Company officials say, however, that a final decision by Mutual’s board of directors to build the headquarters won't be made until the study is completed.

Location decisions like moving away from Omaha and building in say, Chicago.

:D
No posts exist for this topic
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

RockHarbor wrote:Oh my gosh. Don't get me wrong; I love the idea of Mutual of Omaha getting a sparking new headquarters that is very sharp in design. But, there is just SOMETHING about that bold, black, stair-stepping profile on Dodge with Mutual's circular logo that is soooooooo "OMAHA!" to me. It is exciting in its own way, and is so prolific on the cityscape. I hate the idea of that going away. Can't they spare that signature, unique, beautiful art deco building, and incorporate the new campus around it -- or something?

I remember I traveled to NYC in 2015, and when I got way back out to Omaha (which used to be the far-out wilderness/frontier with roaming Native Americans, even when NYC and Boston and Philly were becoming urban cities in the East), I was happy to see the Woodmen, the FNC, and Mutual's building. Those structures totally help create & make-up this "OMAHA" on the Plains.

I mean, if they knock that down, it almost feels like we should just knock down the Woodmen while we're at it, too. Those structures literally MAKE Omaha for what it is. Architecture sticks in the heart & mind. For example: I still have NOT warmed up to New York's new look -- and probably never will. Those new skyscrapers around Wall Street are sleek & cool...yet...it's haunting those twin, blocky skyscrapers are missing. That's the power of architecture on the mind, heart, senses.
The inside of the building is in rough shape. It would take a ton of money to get it up to current code (if even possible). The restrooms smell like raw sewage. Most haven't been renovated, ever, because they aren't ADA compliant and are grandfathered.

If you have to go there everyday, you'd probably think differently about the need for a new building.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

For comparison, here are specs for HDR's two HQ's which were supposed to fit 1,150 people, at least with Aksarben.
I wish the building wasn't so boxy looking, but I think it is an upgrade over the downtown rendering.

Downtown proposal:

16 stories
290,000 sq ft
$152 Million

Aksarben Village proposal:

10 stories
228,218 sq ft (with additional 18,000 sq ft of retail on groud floor for 245,000 sq ft total) plus space to expand into another 120,000 sq ft building
$110 Million

Mutual is building a space for 3,500 employees it already has, and I'm sure room for growth. I'm skeptical about the $200 million budget, since they would need at least 4 times the space if not more as HDR, as it notes they're looking for 1.1 million square feet minimum in the article.

Also, here is Gensler's portfolio from its Chicago office:

https://www.gensler.com/offices/chicago/projects

Mostly Modernist/Futurist architecture it seems.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

I think they could knock down Buildings 1 & 2 (4 and 8 stories) and renovate Building 3 and the tower into condo/apartment/mixed use. The dome area could be converted into a mall-like common space with shopping and dining.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Garrett wrote:For comparison, here are specs for HDR's two HQ's which were supposed to fit 1,150 people, at least with Aksarben.
I wish the building wasn't so boxy looking, but I think it is an upgrade over the downtown rendering.

Downtown proposal:

16 stories
290,000 sq ft
$152 Million

Aksarben Village proposal:

10 stories
228,218 sq ft (with additional 18,000 sq ft of retail on groud floor for 245,000 sq ft total) plus space to expand into another 120,000 sq ft building
$110 Million

Mutual is building a space for 3,500 employees it already has, and I'm sure room for growth. I'm skeptical about the $200 million budget, since they would need at least 4 times the space if not more as HDR, as it notes they're looking for 1.1 million square feet minimum in the article.

Also, here is Gensler's portfolio from its Chicago office:

https://www.gensler.com/offices/chicago/projects

Mostly Modernist/Futurist architecture it seems.
Mutual can really up the game design wise with some of the stuff that Gensler does. I'm very excited about what they can do.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Mutual has an opportunity to do something very cool! I hope they take advantage of it. Let’s hope they keep their old building standing, it is iconic in Omaha. And let’s also hope that their new building will cast a long shadow over that same building!
#gohawks
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

The architecture firm they have hired looks like they do some pretty good stuff, but it was mentioned in the article they hope to do something that is "frugal."

Post by Guest »

I doubt mutual has any concern to please those who are height obsessed. $200M is double of what HDR spent for a 10 story 250k sqf building. They have plenty of space to build on a larger footprint that there is no reason for them to spend more just to build taller.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Guest wrote:I doubt mutual has any concern to please those who are height obsessed. $200M is double of what HDR spent for a 10 story 250k sqf building. They have plenty of space to build on a larger footprint that there is no reason for them to spend more just to build taller.
They actually may not even have an actual cost estimate yet. The $200M seems to have been a vague estimate.

"The total cost of the new headquarters isn’t pinned down yet, but construction could cost $200 per square foot, Blackledge said, with millions more to equip the building for occupancy in 2022 or 2023. He said the building would be “frugal” but designed for the long-term benefit of Mutual’s customers and staff."
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

He may say Mutual of Omaha is not height obsessed, but if they want to have abundant natural daylight reach most of their employee work spaces from any windows, the size of the floor plates will be limited to some extent, without any atriums.

I should add: Mutual will be in good hands with Gensler as the architect/designer. They did the UP HQ design in Omaha too.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Since Mutual of Omaha announced they might build a new HQ last fall, I had some interaction with a few of the "higher ups" at events around the holidays. While nothing specific was ever said, my take away from what was mentioned was that a new building would not house everything under one roof. To a lesser extent, it didn't sound like midtown was the only site to be considered. This made me think that they were who tetrad was trying to get for the civic site. But all this is my |expletive|-u-m(e)-ption from what little was said.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

MSizlack wrote:Since Mutual of Omaha announced they might build a new HQ last fall, I had some interaction with a few of the "higher ups" at events around the holidays. While nothing specific was ever said, my take away from what was mentioned was that a new building would not house everything under one roof. To a lesser extent, it didn't sound like midtown was the only site to be considered. This made me think that they were who tetrad was trying to get for the civic site. But all this is my |expletive|-u-m(e)-ption from what little was said.
I kinda thought this might be the “game-changing” company to move to the Civic site that was mentioned in the World Herald recently. If so, that makes it less of a “game-changer” than I initially thought (given the recent loss of jobs downtown). Mutual if Omaha is only several blocks away!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

They weren't the civic user. It was FDR like I've said multiple times, yet people still don't believe me. That wasn't speculation, that was fact. Mutual hasn't for one considered leaving midtown. They have Ryan Companies out of Minneapolis lined up to develop MTC East. Other developers have inquired about their old buildings. Their investment will only increase the value of their investment. To leave would be absolutely foolish.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

omaha79 wrote:
RockHarbor wrote: If you have to go there everyday, you'd probably think differently about the need for a new building.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of them getting a new building. By all means, that company has earned it. (Even far from Omaha, "Mutual of Omaha Bank" is seen within vastly different cities, my hardworking hometown's business influence reaching far & wide across America.) It's just that the Mutual of Omaha building on Dodge is a very important "square patch" if Omaha's urban fabric & cityscape were a "patchwork quilt." It just is sooo "OMAHA!" in every way. Couldn't they build a handsome, luxurious tower in Downtown Omaha (like with exotic marble imported from Africa, and deep recessed windows, and a striking lobby with art that makes one think of "Wild Kingdom")? They could keep the striking, iconic, art deco Midtown building as well. See, I have the perfect plan in mind -- using somebody else's money. :) It's so easy to come up with those.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:They weren't the civic user. It was FDR like I've said multiple times, yet people still don't believe me. That wasn't speculation, that was fact. Mutual hasn't for one considered leaving midtown. They have Ryan Companies out of Minneapolis lined up to develop MTC East. Other developers have inquired about their old buildings. Their investment will only increase the value of their investment. To leave would be absolutely foolish.
This is completely accurate...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

RockHarbor wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
RockHarbor wrote: If you have to go there everyday, you'd probably think differently about the need for a new building.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of them getting a new building. By all means, that company has earned it. (Even far from Omaha, "Mutual of Omaha Bank" is seen within vastly different cities, my hardworking hometown's business influence reaching far & wide across America.) It's just that the Mutual of Omaha building on Dodge is a very important "square patch" if Omaha's urban fabric & cityscape were a "patchwork quilt." It just is sooo "OMAHA!" in every way. Couldn't they build a handsome, luxurious tower in Downtown Omaha (like with exotic marble imported from Africa, and deep recessed windows, and a striking lobby with art that makes one think of "Wild Kingdom")? They could keep the striking, iconic, art deco Midtown building as well. See, I have the perfect plan in mind -- using somebody else's money. :) It's so easy to come up with those.
IF they can find a use for the old facility, I'm sure that would be preferable. I'm sure they would prefer not to take the heat they will certainly take from preservationists. But, it's going to be tough. The bottom line is that the facility no longer suits the needs of Mutual of Omaha. It takes a ton of money on upkeep and utilities. There are areas of the building where they are running out of room for certain departments.

If there is a developer who wants to take it on and make it something like condos or apartments, maybe. but, mutual hasn't had great success getting all of the condos and apartments sold in MTC. That development has never been what it was promised to be. Maybe another corporate tenant would be interested in the mutual building, but I doubt it for the same reasons Mutual doesn't want to be there anymore.

IT does come down to being able to attract and retain talent and that's difficult to do when you constantly have bathrooms flooding and a smell of raw sewage wafting down the halls from plumbing that is beyond obsolete.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

What does it say for a company to build a headquarters in that late of a period and ditch it in less than 50 years. Is this typical for a building's useful life to be under 50 years. 50 years just doesn't seem that long to me, but I don't know how these things work. For a being built in 1970, that seems pretty late for it to have the issues. Or is 1970 not really as late as it feels to me?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Busguy2010 wrote:What does it say for a company to build a headquarters in that late of a period and ditch it in less than 50 years. Is this typical for a building's useful life to be under 50 years. 50 years just doesn't seem that long to me, but I don't know how these things work. For a being built in 1970, that seems pretty late for it to have the issues. Or is 1970 not really as late as it feels to me?
50 years would be a long time for a building to continually meet the needs of a company while it evolves, without a major remodel/renovation. Just think how much the needs of computer technology have changed over 50 years. Also how much energy efficiency has improved and how much building and life safety codes have changed and ADA accessibility standards have been implemented.

Sure, if they did a major gut job on their existing building they could bring it up to today’s standards, but they would still be stuck with the same building structure and not be able to have more wide-open floor space clear of columns. Plus they’d have to find a temporary place for people to work during the renovation, even if they phased the work. The shell and structure of the original building can be repurposed many times over a few hundred years, but to expect it to meet the needs of one company for more than 50 years is a stretch.

We are taking about several existing buildings they now occupy going back further than 50 years too. It’s safe to assume they’ve at least done some cosmetic upgrades to the interiors and some additions over the years.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

OmahaJaysCU wrote:They weren't the civic user. It was FDR like I've said multiple times, yet people still don't believe me. That wasn't speculation, that was fact.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GetUrban wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:What does it say for a company to build a headquarters in that late of a period and ditch it in less than 50 years. Is this typical for a building's useful life to be under 50 years. 50 years just doesn't seem that long to me, but I don't know how these things work. For a being built in 1970, that seems pretty late for it to have the issues. Or is 1970 not really as late as it feels to me?
50 years would be a long time for a building to continually meet the needs of a company while it evolves, without a major remodel/renovation. Just think how much the needs of computer technology have changed over 50 years. Also how much energy efficiency has improved and how much building and life safety codes have changed and ADA accessibility standards have been implemented.

Sure, if they did a major gut job on their existing building they could bring it up to today’s standards, but they would still be stuck with the same building structure and not be able to have more wide-open floor space clear of columns. Plus they’d have to find a temporary place for people to work during the renovation, even if they phased the work. The shell and structure of the original building can be repurposed many times over a few hundred years, but to expect it to meet the needs of one company for more than 50 years is a stretch.

We are taking about several existing buildings they now occupy going back further than 50 years too. It’s safe to assume they’ve at least done some cosmetic upgrades to the interiors and some additions over the years.
Don't mind me, I know nothing of this subject, just trying to better understand this topic. Honest inquiry: We've been building huge buildings since the later 1800's. What is the best service span for a building built by its owner, for it's owner, in Omaha? In other words, "We need to build this building for us." How long did they stay there?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The rumor GrowOmaha threw out was building to their new office on the west side of their current campus, not the east side as many kind of assumed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:The rumor GrowOmaha threw out was building to their new office on the west side of their current campus, not the east side as many kind of assumed.
In the parking lot north of Beer Corner, not as high as their present 1m SF building. Space needed has changed...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Busguy2010 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:

Don't mind me, I know nothing of this subject, just trying to better understand this topic. Honest inquiry: We've been building huge buildings since the later 1800's. What is the best service span for a building built by its owner, for it's owner, in Omaha? In other words, "We need to build this building for us." How long did they stay there?
Well, to answer your question you'll have to look around for the oldest buildings that are still standing and being used. Chances are if they're still around, the buildings aren't being used for their original purpose, except for government buildings such as the Nebraska State Capitol and county courthouse buildings, a few schools, etc. You'll have to look at European buildings to see how long a building can really last or the US east coast or New Orleans, where there are still some 1600s buildings.

The 1888 Omaha National Bank building is a good example of the longevity that is possible if a building is re-purposed and allowed to be left standing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Nat ... k_Building
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Keep in mind the 5 story building was built in the 40's. The 8 story building, in the 60's I believe. The 14 story tower in the 70's. The dome was that last portion completed in like 1980, I believe.

It's kind of a Frankenbuilding.

The 14 story tower portion is in somewhat better shape then the rest, but none of it is pristine. I can't understate the restrooms. They are essentially original. The fixtures, everything. Most of them aren't wheelchair accessible. Like I said before, they are grandfathered. So, they can't do any major renovations on them without getting them up to ADA code. Most of the men's restrooms don't even have urinals. They have toilets with the seats removed and no doors on the stalls. The plumbing backs up regularly. There are floods in the bathooms. You'll walk in there in trudge through toilet water at times. That is not a good look for a Fortune 500 Company trying to attract talent. Many of the floors themselves were last renovated in the 90's which sounds recent, but picture carpet and lighting from the 90's.

It would cost hundreds of millions just to get it to where it needs to be. I'm all for preservation when it makes sense, but that building is not suitable for a large company like Mutual at this point.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

That building has a lot of history attached to it. So I can't just say tear down the entire building and possibly build a skyscraper but they could do that at the Civic site. I was reading in the Omaha world herald that they are more interested in the site that they are currently at. Which I understand why they would be. I just can't see where they would add a additional building.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

MofO's HQ building was designed for old school insurance business. Lots of agents selling. Lots of clerks filing papers. A few underwriters and actuaries hovering over computers and 10-keys, and a few bosses at the top. It stopped being that a long time ago and now is not really a building built for current needs or the insurance business where many of these tasks have been decreased in scope. Still need accountants and agents, but lots of the filing is now electronic and the computers are a lot smaller.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

OmahaFan wrote:That building has a lot of history attached to it. So I can't just say tear down the entire building and possibly build a skyscraper but they could do that at the Civic site. I was reading in the Omaha world herald that they are more interested in the site that they are currently at. Which I understand why they would be. I just can't see where they would add a additional building.
I keep hearing one of the two parking lots to the West are possible. The ones parallel to Dodge Street between 34th and 36th. The problem with that is that they are utilized by the workers everyday. If you take one or both of those lots out of service, you either have to temporarily relocate a majority of your workforce somewhere else or you have to allow a lot more work from home opportunities. Relocating the workers wouldn't be unprecedented as I know Blue Cross moved all of their customer service operations out to North Park for a few years while the new building was being built and have since brought them back under one umbrella.

Another idea I've heard people talking about is tearing down the old building and rebuilding on that spot. Again, there would be significant disruption and all employees would have to be relocated. I assume many would move to the South Farnam building, but that's not sufficient. I don't know if the Kiewit buildings will soon be on the market, but that would be one other option for temporary office space as they are moving to North Downtown.

The only other spot I've heard anyone speculate on is that parking lot between Mutuals South Farnam building and WOWT. I don't know how feasible that is though.

Post by Guest »

Jays is right MofO was never going to consider a location other than near their present location. I tend to think they will locate on either of the parking lots west of their current location. Only remaining question is how tall. My prediction is the lot between 35th and 36th with the southern portion tall enough to be seen over the current tower when looking west on Douglas or in Turner Park.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 pm
RockHarbor wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
IF they can find a use for the old facility, I'm sure that would be preferable. I'm sure they would prefer not to take the heat they will certainly take from preservationists. But, it's going to be tough. The bottom line is that the facility no longer suits the needs of Mutual of Omaha. It takes a ton of money on upkeep and utilities. There are areas of the building where they are running out of room for certain departments.

If there is a developer who wants to take it on and make it something like condos or apartments, maybe. but, mutual hasn't had great success getting all of the condos and apartments sold in MTC. That development has never been what it was promised to be. Maybe another corporate tenant would be interested in the mutual building, but I doubt it for the same reasons Mutual doesn't want to be there anymore.

IT does come down to being able to attract and retain talent and that's difficult to do when you constantly have bathrooms flooding and a smell of raw sewage wafting down the halls from plumbing that is beyond obsolete.
Good points. I realize changes eventually have to happen as Mutual grows & expands. But, it's almost like hearing the "Chrysler Corporation is moving out of the Chrysler Building." It just feels strange. (I will never warm up to the "Willis Tower" in Chicago, over the "Sears Tower", as another example.) Driving eastward down Dodge, towards Downtown Omaha, nearing 35th St, one is used to seeing the N-S facing Mutual of Omaha Insurance building (with its famous, eye-catching logo) standing proudly along Dodge with its stair-stepping profile and striking dark & beige combo of color, with the backside of the skyscrapers of Downtown Omaha (buildings facing E-W towards the river, opposite of Mutual's building) standing at different heights on a hill beyond. I just love that look & configuration that developed. It just is something special about Omaha, imo. (There's not tons of neat photo opportunities in Omaha, imo, and that scene is one of them.) So, I hope they grow & expand, and keep all that intact (in a way), too.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I predict they'll build close to the interstate, so they have increased visibility to traffic. It seems like whenever the Omaha skyline is shown locally or nationally, Mutual of Omaha is left out, because their building is not included in the skyline.

I think that if they could remodel the old buildings and make them into apartments, they would rent really quickly. Also a condos would be popular here too since you'd be close to downtown, Blackstone, and UNMC. They'd have to be more affordable than the ones currently for sale in Midtown Crossing of course.