Bauhaus Apartments

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

hatwate
Library Board

Bauhaus Apartments

Post by hatwate »

A neighbor mentioned today that apartments are going to be built on Pacific between 48th St. and Saddle Creek. Does anyone know anything about that? I know there was some discussion about that area a year or so ago, but I don't know what thread that was on.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Re: apartments on pacific between 48th & Saddle Creek

Post by Lillian Bean »

hatwate wrote:A neighbor mentioned today that apartments are going to be built on Pacific between 48th St. and Saddle Creek. Does anyone know anything about that? I know there was some discussion about that area a year or so ago, but I don't know what thread that was on.
I don't know anything, but Bluestone Development has purchased over 2 acres worth of various properties right there suggesting that something will happen eventually. The homes are still occupied so it may be a little while.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like "SADDLECREEK 1011 LLC" owns all these lots:
saddlecreek.JPG
saddlecreek.JPG (199.93 KiB) Viewed 9559 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad just beat me too it!

For context those lots are a bit smaller than their one u/c off Leavenworth right now and a little bigger than the lot Spaces sits on.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Bluestone recently mentioned a "project communication website" with the Morton Meadows neighborhood association, likely similar to the one they made for the 51st and Mayberry project. Perhaps this will be getting started fairly soon.

An unrelated note - nearby to this project the old Auto parts store and nearby house were demolished and some serious ground work is going on. Two different property owners and one appears to be the owner of Twins Auto. Anyone know what is going on there?

hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

jelizh wrote:Bluestone recently mentioned a "project communication website" with the Morton Meadows neighborhood association, likely similar to the one they made for the 51st and Mayberry project. Perhaps this will be getting started fairly soon.

An unrelated note - nearby to this project the old Auto parts store and nearby house were demolished and some serious ground work is going on. Two different property owners and one appears to be the owner of Twins Auto. Anyone know what is going on there?

It is my understanding that Twins Auto Repair is building on that site. They currently operate out of the parcel just N of this one in an old service station. There is a building permit for them and the construction type is 322-Service Stations and Repair Garages. If someone knows how to find more info the permit # is BLD-17-00884
:
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Brad wrote:Looks like "SADDLECREEK 1011 LLC" owns all these lots:
saddlecreek.JPG
I don't know if it is important to note that 4856 Pacific is not owned by SaddleCreek 1011 LLC. That and the corner property at 1025 Saddle Creek are owned and operated as a day care by Donna Collins.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I received a letter today from Bluestone Development.
This is the first I've heard of this... no notification from the city.
This is adjacent to my home.

https://mortonmeadowsna.nextdoor.com/ne ... t=66586066
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Joseph wrote:I received a letter today from Bluestone Development.
This is the first I've heard of this... no notification from the city.
This is adjacent to my home.

https://mortonmeadowsna.nextdoor.com/ne ... t=66586066
Can you quote it so we don't have to log in to next door?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Rowhouses and 134 units in the news today. No images of the project though.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

iamjacobm wrote:Rowhouses and 134 units in the news today. No images of the project though.
From today's Omaha World-Herald:
http://www.omaha.com/money/plan-for--un ... 5c1cd.html
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

158 Units total: 134 in the apartment building on Saddle Creek, and then 24 in 12 3-story row houses to be built on the north side of Pacific. There will be a neighborhood meeting on October 24.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We own a house on the east side of 48th street, near Pacific. This will definitely change the feel of the neighborhood. Not sure whether it is good or bad from our financial viewpoint, but the neighborhood is very popular due to the huge influx of jobs at the Med Center.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

World-Herald report on last night's Morton Meadows neighborhood meeting where Bluestem presented their plans. Some renderings of the project are included. http://www.omaha.com/money/morton-meado ... ecc7e.html
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I wish they’d put some more thought into the design of the apartment building. It’s just a box with some holes cut into it for windows. Are building materials so costly that this is the best they can do?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I wish they’d put some more thought into the design of the apartment building. It’s just a box with some holes cut into it for windows. Are building materials so costly that this is the best they can do?
I agree - terribly unimaginative with no architectural flair. The rowhouses especially look cheap now, in 10 years they'll look way worse. I'm all for an apartment building of this density in this area, but I wish they had less parking and a more interesting design.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Taco wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I wish they’d put some more thought into the design of the apartment building. It’s just a box with some holes cut into it for windows. Are building materials so costly that this is the best they can do?
I agree - terribly unimaginative with no architectural flair. The rowhouses especially look cheap now, in 10 years they'll look way worse. I'm all for an apartment building of this density in this area, but I wish they had less parking and a more interesting design.
Bad area to wish for less parking since parking is already scare in Morton Meadows. Most houses are lucky if they have one garage. Parking on only one side of the street is usually true. The neighborhood assn wants dedicated parking for those who don’t even have driveways.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

hatwate wrote:
Taco wrote:
Bad area to wish for less parking since parking is already scare in Morton Meadows. Most houses are lucky if they have one garage. Parking on only one side of the street is usually true. The neighborhood assn wants dedicated parking for those who don’t even have driveways.
But the development is supposed to have more parking than what is typical, more spaces than there are units. What's leading you to believe it'll spill over into the street? How severe is the parking situation now really? Are there times when there is no spots to be found on 48th or Pacific?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
hatwate wrote:
Taco wrote:
But the development is supposed to have more parking than what is typical, more spaces than there are units. What's leading you to believe it'll spill over into the street? How severe is the parking situation now really? Are there times when there is no spots to be found on 48th or Pacific?
Since I am not by there day in and day out I can't swear as to what the situation is all the time. But I am guessing from what I know of Pacific at that point that it probably is parked full, particularly at night. 48th probably is mostly full even during the day. If you were to look at 48th north of where this will be built I think has no parking on the street because of the fire station. Also, as I understand it the townhouses along Pacific will have 2 units in each one so I would bet my bottom dollar that a lot of visitors and even tenants will park on the street. Also, there might be more spaces than normal but it is going into an area which already has a shortage of parking.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Re: Apartments on Pacific between 48th & Saddle Creek

Post by jelizh »

Taco wrote:
Also agree. In their presentation they showed two examples of rowhouses that they used as inspiration for their rendering. One looked identical to their Little Italy townhomes with many architectural details (this somehow failed to translate to their rendering). IMO the rendering looks like a bunch of giant celebrity homes squeezed together. Really hope they consider adding more ornamentation and character to the rowhouses, Morton Meadows deserves better.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

hatwate wrote:
Brad wrote:Looks like "SADDLECREEK 1011 LLC" owns all these lots:
saddlecreek.JPG
I don't know if it is important to note that 4856 Pacific is not owned by SaddleCreek 1011 LLC. That and the corner property at 1025 Saddle Creek are owned and operated as a day care by Donna Collins.
It's the infant house at Donna's Little Darlings. In case anyone is wondering, it's a fantastic day care.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I assume this could be moved out of rumors now, right?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

The design is bland and overdone for the area. 48th to Saddle Creek to Pacific is already confusing and bad enough for most drivers. I'm right off 48th/Pacific and I can easily see the parking extending to the Masonic Lodge off 48th/Pierce which is for the most part empty except some weekend nights. I'm not in favor of this unless they fix the parking concerns and/or reduce the size. Also the Day Care center is going to be surrounded by this mess.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request before Planning Board.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Rendering #1 Saddle Creek & 48th Image
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Rendering #2 24 town home units Pacific & Saddle Creek Image
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$2.628 Million in TIF for the 158 unit project costing over $22 million.

Site plans and info at the link.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 27/189.pdf
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to the docs:

Demo: March 2018
Construction: April 2018 - Sept 2019
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I’m not particularly enamured with the visuals, but it will be a nice addition of density to this midtown area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Saddle Creek Apartments 134 units, 115586 sf;
Office 4742 sf; Parking 23277 sf.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/the-morton- ... d4c4a.html
Demolition soon will make way for the Bos — a $22.2 million housing development in the Morton Meadows neighborhood.

Bluestone Development’s Christian Christensen said the name (pronounced like boss) was inspired by the Bauhaus design to be reflected in the 158 dwellings planned for the 2.6-acre site near Saddle Creek Road and Pacific Street.

One piece of the project calls for a row of 24 townhouse-style dwellings along Pacific, to be built where four houses will be cleared.

Behind the townhouses, on the site of an old warehouse, will rise a 134-unit apartment complex. Preparation began this week for heavy demolition set to start next week.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

iamjacobm wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:27 pm https://www.omaha.com/money/the-morton- ... d4c4a.html
Demolition soon will make way for the Bos — a $22.2 million housing development in the Morton Meadows neighborhood.

Bluestone Development’s Christian Christensen said the name (pronounced like boss) was inspired by the Bauhaus design to be reflected in the 158 dwellings planned for the 2.6-acre site near Saddle Creek Road and Pacific Street.
I accept the development.. Even though it tears down some viable homes, progress gives and takes. The name is super dooshie though. Maybe they are trying to attract yoked out, wifebeater wearing, flat brim hat wearing, jacked up Ford truck driving dudes... Just spell it correctly to convey the inspiration behind it. "I live at the Bauhaus" seems more proper to me. The word looks like it pronounces more like "bow-house" anyway. But whatever, you have to do what you have to do to please the customer.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

It looks like a very nice senior living community. Bingo on Monday nights, singing on Tuesday, bus to Walmart on Wednesday, etc.etc.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

NovakOmaha wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:33 am It looks like a very nice senior living community. Bingo on Monday nights, singing on Tuesday, bus to Walmart on Wednesday, etc.etc.
Baker’s is across the street.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Re: Bauhaus Apartments

Post by U R my Helix »

The town homes are now framed up on the Pacific street side.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Someone renamed the thread, good old name was hard to locate but don't forget the "Bos Apartments", it is the bulk of the development. Not sure that any of these are actually named Bauhaus.
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

I cant believe this development got TIF to build apts! Theres nothing special about this area that makes it undesirable or excedingly hard to make a profit building apts. If anything this development makes the nearby homes less desirable; who wants to live next to a 4 story apt building or a 3 story rowhouse when youre in a regular house next door.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Mapguy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am who wants to live next to a 4 story apt building or a 3 story rowhouse when youre in a regular house next door.
People with dogs, people that like to turn the stereo up a few notches, people that want to own their place instead of rent their place, people that want a private connected garage, people that like to garden, people that like to fix/update their house to the way they like it, etc.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

ScrattyB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am
Mapguy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am who wants to live next to a 4 story apt building or a 3 story rowhouse when youre in a regular house next door.
People with dogs, people that like to turn the stereo up a few notches, people that want to own their place instead of rent their place, people that want a private connected garage, people that like to garden, people that like to fix/update their house to the way they like it, etc.
I think the point was "How does this big apartment building make the existing neighborhood better? It would be less desirable to live in a house across the street from this complex than one out of view of it. So if it is less desirable to live near these complexes, then why are we subsidizing them?"

And I have to say, I dont disagree. This one, the one on 51st and Leavenworth, and many of the rowhouses in the park ave area are out of context with the existing neighborhood... unless the idea is to displace all of the existing structures. In park ave, this seems to have happened a lot with the recent push.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm
ScrattyB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am
I think the point was "How does this big apartment building make the existing neighborhood better? It would be less desirable to live in a house across the street from this complex than one out of view of it. So if it is less desirable to live near these complexes, then why are we subsidizing them?"

And I have to say, I dont disagree. This one, the one on 51st and Leavenworth, and many of the rowhouses in the park ave area are out of context with the existing neighborhood... unless the idea is to displace all of the existing structures. In park ave, this seems to have happened a lot with the recent push.
I mean I wouldn't mind personally, but that's me..

Context of the neighborhood is definitely something to consider but I don't know that this development, the rowhouses in in the park ave area, or much of the other density-increasing development in this area have been out of context. Traditionally, a "city" is not just the core downtown area surrounded by leafy green suburbia. The city is also the inner-ring neighborhoods that are often at a significant level of density as well. As I would consider this part of Omaha "the city," traditionally, this is the sort of context you should expect to find here, especially as the population grows for the region as a whole. Density, however, has not kept pace with population growth as would be expected. In a way this is making up for lost time.

With regard to context, we need to consider that contexts can evolve over-time, much as all aspects of cities do. Where this can be an issue is if the change is stark and immediate - like if they proposed a 40 story, 700 unit luxury condo or something. But the level of context change proposed with this development is fairly natural and reflects the evolution of the city.

Of course there is always the alternative to try to stifle density increases and context changes and keep things the way they are - leading most if not all growth to come on the fringe or within current development. The result is one of two things - in the former scenario, we end up like Houston, with more traffic congestion and urban inefficiencies than a city of that size should have. Inefficiencies that, when the growth train slows, will be compounded and hard to fix with the consequential decline in increased revenue. In the latter scenario, we end up like coastal California, where discouraging higher density development has gotten so bad that the cities are completely unaffordable for large portions of the population.

As for the neighbors, unless the hardship brought by the development is significant, they'll need to be accepting of the fact that their neighborhood is not and cannot be static. Neighborhoods change as lives change. Someday each and every one of those neighbors will have moved on whether the apartment is built or not. New people will come in with new ideas and personalities, aligned with the ideas and personalities of the former residents or not. Before the current residents came in, the neighborhood was something else - a cornfield or something. Nobody likes change like nobody likes waiting in lines for things, but its a part of life. And its not really fair to try to keep others out of your neighborhood who would also like to enjoy it as you do. I'd make exceptions if there was something culturally or historically significant about the neighborhood but t's Saddle Creek and there is little in that regard.