Dillards at Oakview closing!

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Dillards at Oakview closing!

Post by Silverspoon »

I just heard from two long time Dillards employees that their location is on the way out. They have each been at Dillards for 5+ years and they said they have found new jobs because they received the word early.

With this being the only Dillards in Omaha, I see it as the only thing keeping Oakview open, so it shouldnt be much longer before Oakview only has Bath & Body Works and Victorias Secret as their only tenants. (Insert your lame Oakview has been dying for a long time comment here.)

On another note, a lady died in her car right outside of Younkers today. Security was notified at least 3 hours after she had passed away from what the security guards were saying.
Jim Flowers rules!
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Dillards at Oakview closing!

Post by nativeomahan »

This would be horrible, for Oakview Mall, for Omaha, and for those of us who enjoy shopping at Dillard's.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

nativeomahan wrote:This would be horrible, for Oakview Mall, for Omaha, and for those of us who enjoy shopping at Dillard's.
I worked at Oakview for a while up until last January, and GGP who owns the mall wont spend a penny on the place. Furthermore, Todd, the GM of the mall, always told me that Oakview was in great shape and didnt need any improvements. Stores are leaving that mall like theyre on fire right now, and theres nothing new going in, unless you count the no name mexican restaurant that just opened in the food court.
Jim Flowers rules!
jag4242

Post by jag4242 »

Wow.. Haven't been to OakView in awhile...Destined for deadmalls.com ?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha really only needs one enclosed mall going forward, and that seems to be Westroads. I'm not sure redoing Oak View would help at all.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

The death cycle of this mall is proceeding as I have forseen it. I said about a year ago, in another thread, that the next step was to lose an anchor store. Once that happens, it's all down hill from there. Thing is, they may be set to lose two anchor stores relatively soon. I wasn't thinking Dillards would be one of them, but if they go, Sears is likely soon to follow. After that, you'll see an acceleration of name brand stores in the mall closing only to be replaced by mom and pop startups (just like Crossroads of 20 years ago). Then, the theater will close. Soon after, the mom and pop stores will close as well until we are left with a big hulking dinosaur of a building.

This exact scenario has played out in the past at The Center, Southroads, and Crossroads. It's Oak Views turn. This will only be accelerated by new shopping dining options going in at the Boys Town Farm and 192nd and Dodge along with the general bleak retail environment.

I was never a big fan of Oak View, but you combine a bad retail environment, with a mall that doesn't have interstate access, management that doesn't care to invest in the property to keep it relevant, and a city that's overbuilt on developments, and this is what you get.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

My dream would be installing light rail along the ROW of the rail road tracks/I80 that run directly from Oakview to DT. Flatten everything from the movie theater to 144th and Center and make it a massive TOD site right smack in the middle of the city.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

A Transit Oriented Development and a light rail would be very cool, but a bit of a pipe dream don't you think? I base this on the opinions folks have on a trolley system for the downtown/midtown area that were recently expressed in the OWH (and in the streetcar forum). I wish people were better at imagining the opportunities outside their "normal" car centric lifestyle. When I travel I tend to stay close to mass transit options to get me around. It is really fun to watch the traffic crawling along on the highways while I cruise along on the light rail line. In the last several years I have enjoyed the light rail lines in Denver and Seattle, the subway in New York City and the "L" in Chicago.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

omaha79 wrote:Then, the theater will close.
Maybe it's me, but I think the theater can stand alone. Movie theaters are becoming a destination, an evening out all by themselves at least for me. I can't get theater popcorn in my living room, for example.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

damonhynes wrote:
Maybe it's me, but I think the theater can stand alone. Movie theaters are becoming a destination, an evening out all by themselves at least for me. I can't get theater popcorn in my living room, for example.
I take it you don't go out to movies often? The AMC at Oakview is one of the worst theaters in Omaha. It's never* been updated since it opened.

* they added a bar. That's it.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
I take it you don't go out to movies often? The AMC at Oakview is one of the worst theaters in Omaha. It's never* been updated since it opened.

I get that--they still have the Jeri Ryan Star Trek videogame?--but it's good enough for me.

Twin Creek is actually my go-to movie house and the recliners are nice but it's not a deal-maker.

Alamo's popcorn is teh sux0r but otherwise, fine.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The Lane cutoff is a pretty busy freight line. Unless you have a big bag of cash, UP is unlikely to disrupt it.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
damonhynes wrote:

AMC Oak View suffers from a number of issues that make it unlikely that the parent company will invest in renovating it full scale. It would take a massive amount of cash to renovate this to today's standards with reclining chairs and full food menus.

Foremost is the size. Bottom line, theater chains aren't building 20+ auditorium theaters anymore. This facility is a white elephant these days. Too big for the modern moviegoing environment.

Location also hurts this theater. It doesn't see the foot traffic it used to with the mall in its death spiral. It was always somewhat tucked away, but with the malls struggles, it becomes an "out of sight, out of mind" situation.

There is now more competition for the theater dollar in West Omaha. 15 years ago, your choices were 20 Grand, Q Cinema 9, and AMC Oak View 24. AMC was the nicest and newest of them all. Now, there is Twin Creek, Majestic, AMC Oak View, and Alamo. AMC Oak View is, by far, the dingiest and decrepit of them all. They only get the business they do get because they slashed prices. That is not sustainable.

If anything, they are probably running out a lease until they can close the place.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I haven't been to AMC in years. Marcus Majestic is so much better in terms of comfort/amenities than what I remember from AMC (which I'm hearing here hasn't changed)... and Alamo has cornered the coolness factor as theaters go.

I feel like Oakview is doomed to fail, it's such a bad location... at the corner of nothing and nothing. If they'd put it on Dodge, maybe things would have been different.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The theater AMC bought at Westroads years ago is a nicer facility in a busier location. Unless they want to build way out West where the money is nowadays, I can see Oakview 24 closing, and AMC focusing on Westroads.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Payless Shoes at Oakview is one of the 500 or so Payless shoe stores closing. The other location closing in the Omaha are is near 24th & Vinton
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:Payless Shoes at Oakview is one of the 500 or so Payless shoe stores closing. The other location closing in the Omaha are is near 24th & Vinton
The 24 St store is too bad.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

As far as AMC goes they did remodel their theater in North KC off I29 at Barrywoods. It's identical to the one at Oak View, better location. They were purchased by the Wanda Group from China (huge entertainment company, trying to be Chinse version of Disney with making movies and doing theme parks). They have been pouring money into remodels and purchasing rivals.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:As far as AMC goes they did remodel their theater in North KC off I29 at Barrywoods. It's identical to the one at Oak View, better location. They were purchased by the Wanda Group from China (huge entertainment company, trying to be Chinse version of Disney with making movies and doing theme parks). They have been pouring money into remodels and purchasing rivals.

Greg

How recent was the remodel in KC?

Did all of AMC get purchased or just that theater or some of them?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: How recent was the remodel in KC?

https://www.wanda-group.com/culture/film_holdings/
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote: How recent was the remodel in KC?

https://www.wanda-group.com/culture/film_holdings/

Yep, as Brad pointed out, all of them. The one in KC was a few years ago. They announced at the time of the acquisition that they would spend about $600 million renovating AMC theaters and that it was going to be done over 5 years. They have also been acquiring other chains (as we saw at Westroads).

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

while they've planned to renovate all locations, they've also sold some off in the meantime. Doesn't mean they might not close some locations that underperform too.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:while they've planned to renovate all locations, they've also sold some off in the meantime. Doesn't mean they might not close some locations that underperform too.

Correct, I don't think anyone said it was staying open for sure. I was merely pointing out that AMC is in the process of renovating their theaters, including ones of this size. Someone had said that 20+ screen theaters are not being built anymore, I was merely pointing out that it doesn't necessarily mean it will close either.

Marcus renovated the artist formerly known as 20 Grand completely and did a less extensive one at Village Point. At the time, Majestic was not performing as well as VP .

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:while they've planned to renovate all locations, they've also sold some off in the meantime. Doesn't mean they might not close some locations that underperform too.

Correct, I don't think anyone said it was staying open for sure. I was merely pointing out that AMC is in the process of renovating their theaters, including ones of this size. Someone had said that 20+ screen theaters are not being built anymore, I was merely pointing out that it doesn't necessarily mean it will close either.

Marcus renovated the artist formerly known as 20 Grand completely and did a less extensive one at Village Point. At the time, Majestic was not performing as well as VP .

Greg
I get you. That was my point about 20 auditorium theaters not being built anymore, but it's more a combination of factors. 168th and Dodge at Village Point and 144th and Maple are better locations at this stage of the game than 144th and Center tucked back near an industrial park though. 20 auditorium theaters are a white elephant, but it's magnified when you realize it's part of a dying mall complex and it's not in a great location even in and of itself. Then, add on that there are now more theaters in the general area and it's not a good recipe.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

New article on AMC's continuing expenditures on revamping and redoing their theatres:

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1658189 ... on-seating
James

Post by James »

I wish Dillards opens soon after the Corona virus scare is gone. It is the best quality place to shop in Omaha
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

James wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:53 am I wish Dillards opens soon after the Corona virus scare is gone. It is the best quality place to shop in Omaha
True.

Post by Guest »

According to the city's building permit site, Dillards applied for a building permit for the old Younkers at Westroads.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Guest wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:36 pm According to the city's building permit site, Dillards applied for a building permit for the old Younkers at Westroads.
That would be a great move on their part. Get back to where the traffic is high, relative to the world we live in now...
Jim Flowers rules!

Post by Guest »

As confirmed by management this weekend, Dillard's will be moving to the old Westroads Younkers location in 2024. Currently, the Dillard's contractor is working on a remodel of the Lincoln Dillards, Once done they will start the remodel of the Younkers space.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Guest wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:59 am As confirmed by management this weekend, Dillard's will be moving to the old Westroads Younkers location in 2024. Currently, the Dillard's contractor is working on a remodel of the Lincoln Dillards, Once done they will start the remodel of the Younkers space.
Assuming this is accurate, there's the final nail in the coffin for Oakview. It's already a ghost town with relatively few national retailers given the size of the mall. Hopefully whatever comes of it takes only a fraction of the time it's taken the 🤡s working on Crossroads to figure 💩 out.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

It is worth pointing out that we’ve seen speculation about this idea on this thread for almost five years now!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Padre wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm It is worth pointing out that we’ve seen speculation about this idea on this thread for almost five years now!
Exactly!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

djc311 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm
Padre wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm It is worth pointing out that we’ve seen speculation about this idea on this thread for almost five years now!
Exactly!
The biggest difference between now and then, Westroads was finally able to purchase the building (April 2020) from the owner of Younkers so there is a lot more incentive now to put it to use.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Guest wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:59 am As confirmed by management this weekend, Dillard's will be moving to the old Westroads Younkers location in 2024. Currently, the Dillard's contractor is working on a remodel of the Lincoln Dillards, Once done they will start the remodel of the Younkers space.
Is this still a thing?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:09 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:59 am
As confirmed by management this weekend, Dillard's will be moving to the old Westroads Younkers location in 2024. Currently, the Dillard's contractor is working on a remodel of the Lincoln Dillards, Once done they will start the remodel of the Younkers space.
Is this still a thing?
If it is, it certainly is one of the longest running “things” we’ve had as a “Rumor” in awhile :)

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
legato9
Home Owners Association

Post by legato9 »

Gawd, please let this be true.

Westroads would be so much better with Dillards. Oakview is utterly moribund. It's done.

Westroads has been worrying me, too. There are some seriously junk stores popping up in there. Which makes me wonder if Westroads is starting to turn into the next Oakview. But Dillards would probably be a really nice shot in the arm.

Omaha has got to have a decent mall. Westroads is our only hope. And I fear that Dillards is Westroads's only hope.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

It seems like a no brainer...unless Dillard's is angling for or being courted for a Crossroads return?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The other key is that Dillard's owns their store at Oak View. I know that's been brought up in the past here.