Lot 2

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Globochem
Home Owners Association

Lot 2

Post by Globochem »

Lot 2 is supposed to be a wine centered restaurant concept coming to Benson.  It will be run by M's Pub and Spencers alumni Brad and Joanna Marr.  They are certified Sommeliers with the Court of Master Sommeliers and should bring a really interesting perspective to the area.  I haven't found any official material, but any news would be great!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

from the official FB page:

"Lot 2 is a restaurant and wine bar opening soon in downtown historic Benson. We will focus on approachable, innovative food sourced from local farmers and ranchers. On the beverage side, we will be serving hand crafted cocktails using fresh product including fresh squeezed juices. Our wine list will cover wines from all around the world selected by Certified Sommeliers Brad and Johanna Marr. Stay tuned for updates!"

and...

The World Herald Dining Notes blurb.

I believe this will be next to the new Krug Park bar across the street from The Waiting Room.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Correct.  Immediately next door.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bump.  didn't realize this had a thread.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

nebport5 wrote:from the official FB page:

"Lot 2 is a restaurant and wine bar opening soon in downtown historic Benson. We will focus on approachable, innovative food sourced from local farmers and ranchers. On the beverage side, we will be serving hand crafted cocktails using fresh product including fresh squeezed juices. Our wine list will cover wines from all around the world selected by Certified Sommeliers Brad and Johanna Marr. Stay tuned for updates!"

and...

The World Herald Dining Notes blurb.

I believe this will be next to the new Krug Park bar across the street from The Waiting Room.
I wasn't much of an organic food geek until I discovered a couple of places that changed my mind.  The whole farm-to-table organic concept is what the French never abandoned, and it's why their restaurants are so damned good----plus the fact that organic food isn't nearly as expensive as I thought; Trader Joe's sells the stuff at a much lower price point than Whole Foods.  The organic restaurant I frequent has a maximum price point for their entrees at around $20.  I hope this place takes off.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Ate dinner there the other night.  The menu isn't very big, nor the space inside which is also classy and minimal.  The food was good (although the frites were excessively salted) along with an admirable and expectedly good wine selection.  My only real complaint was the acoustics, which at times are loud enough to bury the background music as well as your conversation.  Hopefully they can/will add some sound absorbent materials to the walls, which would greatly improve the experience.  Windows that open up in the front would have been a nice touch, but it seems to be more of a wall of glass that invites in passer-bys.  All in all I look forward to seeing this great addition to the neighborhood evolve and improve over time like some of the fine wine they serve.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

We ate there last Friday. Loved it. No one in our group was daring enough to have the bone marrow but I want to go back just to try it. I do not know about others but I really think the Benson area is about to explode in a good way. We had dinner and then walked across the street to the Waiting Room. What a great area with so much potential.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

blueblood wrote:No one in our group was daring enough to have the bone marrow but I want to go back just to try it.
Try it, seriously, it is an exquisite delicacy. We used to fight for it as kids. I could make a meal out of Lot 2's appetizers, bone marrow, faux gras, and scallops.

Their website is now online: Lot 2
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

This place is absolutely owning the local restaurant scene right now, especially when talking value.  

If you haven't been yet, get off your |expletive|.

Today.  Or tomorrow.  Or both.  I recommend both.

It's the best thing that has happened to food in Omaha since the Boiler Room.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Mrs Tuna and I will be going there after her spring semester is over. She's in the throes of her senior project right now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:If you haven't been yet, get off your |expletive|.

We were going to go there a couple Fridays ago, but that review came out in the OWH, we knew it would be packed so we decided to go a different day.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:If you haven't been yet, get off your |expletive|.

We were going to go there a couple Fridays ago, but that review came out in the OWH, we knew it would be packed so we decided to go a different day.
Make a reservation.  They were turning people away at 10am when they opened for brunch Sunday.

I think it's going to be that way for awhile.

Best eggs benedict in town by a LONG shot.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Forgot to mention... they are planning on brewing their own beer.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow, that looks amazing and better than Baileys where I usually go for eggs Benedict.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They were excellent. Mr & Mrs Big E and Wags ate there. Big E claims these are the best in town and he was right!
Last edited by Coyote on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:They were excellent. Mr & Mrs Big E and Wags ate there. Big E claims these are the best in town and he was right!
Thanks for inviting me!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Vote For Your Favorite Neighborhood Chef
Cooking Light wrote:Joel Mahr, Lot 2, Omaha, NE

Since opening last year, Lot 2 has built new buzz for the resurgent Benson neighborhood. Mahr’s menu offers a little something for everyone: pappardelle Bolognese with pork cheeks and jowl; bangers and mash; falafel; arancini. He’s even got vegetarians covered, with a seitan pot pie. Modestly priced, crowd-pleasing food that still makes creative stretches is a recipe for success here, and the locals have responded in droves, making it one of Urbanspoon.com’s most popular restaurants of 2012.
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Lot 2

Post by Linkin5 »

I got a chance to eat here for the first time a couple weeks ago, it was amazing. The scallop appetizer was the best I have ever had as far as seafood goes around these parts, and the duck main course was also very good. Can't wait to go back.
guesty

Lot2 for sale

Post by guesty »

lot2 is creating a concept to put in the Capitol district, but the original restaurant is quietly for sale.
Gell456

Re: Lot2 for sale

Post by Gell456 »

Are they really? They just expanded their space. Which I guess might mean to make it more attractive to sellers. I am curious about this though.
guesty

Post by guesty »

curious enought to buy it?
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Re: Restaurants Hot Seat

Post by onelocalfoods »

Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing

Post by Guest »

I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

Post by Guest »

onelocalfoods wrote:Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing
Closing after Valentine's day.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Guest wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing
Closing after Valentine's day.
From their Facebook page:
"Lot 2 has made the difficult decision to close the restaurant. Wednesday February 14th will be our last day of service. We are greatly appreciative for the 5+ years of support that you all have shown us. We are also forever grateful for all of the talented individuals that we have had the pleasure of working with, both past and present, and wish them all the success in the future.
We look forward to celebrating the last days with you and hope to see as many of you as we can!
Thanks!"
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Lot 2 will close. Feb 14 last day
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts
remind me not to ask you to guess about the superbowl.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

onelocalfoods wrote:
Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts
remind me not to ask you to guess about the superbowl.
If you did take his prediction advice, you'd definitely want to hedge that bet :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Closing for good after Valentine's Day
http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/dining-n ... e8568.html
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Closing for good after Valentine's Day
http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/dining-n ... e8568.html
Shame. Althought the last two times I was there it seemed overpriced. But what the heck do I know.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

6 years ago this morning... Eggs Benedict. One of the best breakfasts in town.

R.I.P Lot 2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.1 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

This was my favorite restaurant anywhere, and I was really sorry to see it go----some of the best meals I've ever had. I was hoping the chef/owner and spouse would stay in the Omaha area, but I read somewhere that they were moving to a small town in Iowa and plan on opening a chicken-focused restaurant. I'm sure they will have the best chicken dinners in the whole state-----that's one lucky small town.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

ricko wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 pm This was my favorite restaurant anywhere, and I was really sorry to see it go----some of the best meals I've ever had. I was hoping the chef/owner and spouse would stay in the Omaha area, but I read somewhere that they were moving to a small town in Iowa and plan on opening a chicken-focused restaurant. I'm sure they will have the best chicken dinners in the whole state-----that's one lucky small town.
Yes and no (mainly no). The owners were Brad and Johanna Marr both certified Sommeliers not chefs. The executive chef for the bulk of the history of the restaurant was Joel Mahr. Mahr left to open his own restaurant in Corning Iowa about a year and a half or two before Lot 2 closed. The quality of the restaurant went down with his departure. Brad is now the manager at Dante.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Whatever.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

ricko wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 pmWhatever.
Okay?