A New BBQ Restaurant Coming?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

A New BBQ Restaurant Coming?

Post by omaha79 »

I thought this was interesting.

I was in St. Louis this past weekend and eating at a certain BBQ restaurant that is a mainstay in many national top 10 BBQ restaurant lists...that should be enough of a hint. I happened to be talking to the executive chef and he asked where we were from. I mentioned Omaha and he said they "have their eyes on us." He indicated that Omaha would be their number one choice to open a restaurant due to our overall lack of BBQ options. Said it would be something they'd hone in on at the end of the year when they see how much money they have left over.

He mentioned a couple of locations that they considered that I'll leave off of here out of respect to their process. I was told that they probably wouldn't look at MTC (because of it's struggles), Blackstone (lack of parking), or Ak-Sar-Ben Village (Dickie's already being there). I'd also assume that would mean no Benson (it wasn't specifically discussed) due to a BBQ joint already being there.

I was told that any concept in Omaha probably wouldn't under the iconic name from STL. The same group also runs multiple other BBQ restaurants in St. Louis under different names. It could be under one of those names, or something totally different for our market.

I would love this. If they could somehow bring their magic in STL to Omaha, I'd be in heaven. BBQ is tough though. So many have tried in Omaha and failed. They'd need to export someone to Omaha with experience down there who knows what they are doing.

I am crossing my fingers this happens.
Greg S
City Council

Re: A New BBQ Restaurant Coming?

Post by Greg S »

I would donate a kidney to have one of the KC BBQ powerhouses come to Omaha.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I know it's a chain but Billy Sims BBQ is amazing.

I miss Skeets. Is it still around?

Around here I'm all about Slows BBQ.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:I miss Skeets. Is it still around? .
It is.. And their hot BBQ sauce remains one of my favorites...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:I would donate a kidney to have one of the KC BBQ powerhouses come to Omaha.

Greg
The group of restaurants I'm referencing out of St. Louis is every bit as good as the KC BBQ powerhouses.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

I would love to see a sociologist expain why BBQ is sooo popular (and has been successful for so long) in KC and St Louis, but just so-so here or Denver, or Dallas or Minneapolis. It seems like you can go to KC and hit strip mall BBQ that is fantastic, yet in Omaha, you can't get good BBQ anywhere reliably. That said, the BBQ that caters to the med center makes a good pork sandwich.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Greg S wrote:I would donate a kidney to have one of the KC BBQ powerhouses come to Omaha.

Greg
I hear ya. They're damn good but I am keeping my kidneys. Thank you very much.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:

Greg
The group of restaurants I'm referencing out of St. Louis is every bit as good as the KC BBQ powerhouses.

I wonder if it's a newer one then. I've been to all the big name BBQ in STL, a couple are defintely better than anything in Omaha, but they would not be in my top 5 in KC.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I miss Skeets. Is it still around? .
It is.. And their hot BBQ sauce remains one of my favorites...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
If I try to go down to Skeets tonight for some BBQ you people around here won't have to worry about me making these dumb posts anymore. :shock:
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Greg

I wonder if it's a newer one then. I've been to all the big name BBQ in STL, a couple are defintely better than anything in Omaha, but they would not be in my top 5 in KC.

Greg
A lot of it is personal preference. I've compared the establishments I'm speaking of (which typically appear on national top 15 lists) to places like Joe's KC. Joe's hands down wins on Brisket (which I consider the toughest meat to get right), but I think the places I'm mentioning beat Joe's and anyone else in KC on Ribs.

But, I prefer dry rub ribs and saucing them myself. Some prefer ribs already sauced. I go with the Memphis style on ribs every time.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I know this isn't the new restaurant this string is about but since it has become a discussion about the availability of good BBQ in Omaha, I thought y'all might like to read this article from the WH. "There’s plenty of mediocre barbecue in this town. Tired Texan is not that." http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/reviews/ ... 8b6fb.html
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Hit the place this afternoon. Great pulled pork and ribs good brisket. Loved the coleslaw. Will go back.