College Baseball HOF

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

CWS fan

College Baseball HOF

Post by CWS fan »

Heard from a reliable source the wheels are in motion to open the College Baseball Hall of Fame in Omaha. Will be adjacent to TD Ameritrade Park on Lot C (outfield parking lot west of 10th St). Source didn't specify about timing, but it sounded as if it was pretty far down the road.

He also referenced how this might help lure (not sure how) the MLB draft to coincide with the CWS and annual induction into the HOF.

Sounds like a cool idea, hope it has some legs.
Coyote
City Council

Re: College Baseball HOF

Post by Coyote »

I hope we will move this out of the Rumors forum sometime soon.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It only makes sense to have he College Baseball HOF in Omaha, I’m actually surprised it doesn’t already exist. Would be a huge deal if they would start having the MLB draft here too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard that the College Baseball Hall of Fame is going to have a ferris wheel, a stream, a monorail and a great big bat right in front.

Sorry. When I read the first post it just struck me...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard that the College Baseball Hall of Fame is going to have a ferris wheel, a stream, a monorail and a great big bat right in front.

Sorry. When I read the first post it just struck me...

So,you are saying your pretty well,connected?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not so quick my friend, this has had some teeth for a few months. Omaha spent $20k on a study once the new building fell through in Lubbock, they wanted a full diamond next to the building and went looking for other locations... We have Kyle Peterson working on this... I think I posted this a few months ago...

Omaha could become home to College Baseball Hall of Fame Museum
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

This would be cool, but my money says it ends up in Indianapolis.
Jim Flowers rules!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I understand putting it right next to the stadium, but to me this is a component of what the riverfront really needs. You need something unique to force people to go down there. I believe the ideal situation to utilize the riverfront would be to place the following down there:

- The College Baseball Hall of Fame / Museum
- The Children's Museum
- A "recognizable brand" chain, i.e. a Hard Rock Café or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. This isn't for the locals - it's for the visitors/tourists who want a recognizable "vacation restaurant".
- A low-rise (3-4 story, due to the cap) hotel. Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc..
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

NEDodger wrote:I understand putting it right next to the stadium, but to me this is a component of what the riverfront really needs. You need something unique to force people to go down there. I believe the ideal situation to utilize the riverfront would be to place the following down there:

- The College Baseball Hall of Fame / Museum
- The Children's Museum
- A "recognizable brand" chain, i.e. a Hard Rock Café or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. This isn't for the locals - it's for the visitors/tourists who want a recognizable "vacation restaurant".
- A low-rise (3-4 story, due to the cap) hotel. Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc..
A Hard Rock would be awesome here!
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

NO! I repeat NO! Again NO!!............It would not be a great idea to put a college baseball museum next to a baseball stadium that sits empty 11 months of the year. :what: That baseball stadium is one of the reasons it costs us all a half dollar or two every single time we go out to eat. Now they want to build a baseball museum that will never ever have a hope or prayer of being self sustaining. Who are they going to make pay for that new museum and its upkeep I wonder? Could the suckers that they will make pay for it be guys like me that will never ever go to that museum more then once? :grr:
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:NO! I repeat NO! Again NO!!............It would not be a great idea to put a college baseball museum next to a baseball stadium that sits empty 11 months of the year. :what: That baseball stadium is one of the reasons it costs us all a half dollar or two every single time we go out to eat. Now they want to build a baseball museum that will never ever have a hope or prayer of being self sustaining. Who are they going to make pay for that new museum and its upkeep I wonder? Could the suckers that they will make pay for it be guys like me that will never ever go to that museum more then once? :grr:
Agreed. If these were good ideas, some Buffett type would snatch this thing up and build it for a profit. I have to think that this would be at best a novelty that people might go to once. I don't see it being any where close to revenue neutral.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Who said anything about the taxpayers building it? Let see if this is real before we |expletive| about how much it costs.

I think it's a cool idea. Another attraction for the metro.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Who said anything about the taxpayers building it?
I did!...... In the real world there is no way that museum can exist without people like me being FORCED to pay for it. That is how it was and is for the baseball stadium and that is how it will be for the museum. Please explain how a baseball stadium that is not paying for itself and never made a profit or will could have a museum next door that would be a financially successful enterprise. Just how does that work?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Who said anything about the taxpayers building it? Let see if this is real before we |expletive| about how much it costs.

I think it's a cool idea. Another attraction for the metro.
If some rich person(s) want to pay for it and by that, pay for all of it including the inevitable operating losses from such an esoteric focus, then fine. Inevitably the reality is that these rich people put up 10-20% for naming rights and we get stuck with TIF and subsidies.

I am completely done with these endeavors. The city has a budget issue with pension shortfalls and the boring public works projects like roads, water, and sewer repairs. No rich person wants their name on a plaque for a sewer or to endow a couple of miles of 72nd street. Let's save the city's money for these things.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I never did like that parking lot behind the ballpark and I've always wanted buildings to fully surround it. Whatever it may be, that parking lot needs to go in my opinion. Nobody will build anything like apartments, offices, shops, or anything every-day there, so if it has to be a museum, let it be a museum.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The National College Baseball Hall of Fame is operated by the College Baseball Foundation which has already raise $7m of the projected $13m cost for the new museum. There is no taxpayer money going into this project and I would expect the Foundation would also take care of the operating costs.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:The National College Baseball Hall of Fame is operated by the College Baseball Foundation which has already raise $7m of the projected $13m cost for the new museum. There is no taxpayer money going into this project and I would expect the Foundation would also take care of the operating costs.
Thank you. I swear the "waaaaggaaaahhhhh not my taxpayer monnneyyy waaaaaahhhhh" crowd makes me chuckle sometimes.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I don't know how up to date the web site is but at the "museum" tab it claims that they have selected a contractor. If so someone better tell them that it isn't going to be in Lubbock anymore.

http://web.collegebaseballhall.org/index.jsp
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:The National College Baseball Hall of Fame is operated by the College Baseball Foundation which has already raise $7m of the projected $13m cost for the new museum. There is no taxpayer money going into this project and I would expect the Foundation would also take care of the operating costs.
Thank you. I swear the "waaaaggaaaahhhhh not my taxpayer monnneyyy waaaaaahhhhh" crowd makes me chuckle sometimes.
Shame on you. There is nothing funny about the ways Mayors Stothert, Fehey, Suttle and Daub administrations have lied and mislead the public for decades about the financing of that Baseball Stadium and the Century Link Center. I have no doubt paid thousands and thousands of dollars just on the restaurant tax alone. Ha ha ha that is funny the way they stole our money and spent it so unwisely.

Anyone that is foolish enough to believe that museum is going to be self sufficient is drunk on the Hal Daub/Jean Stothert Koolaid.
Tax

Post by Tax »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Shame on you. There is nothing funny about the ways Mayors Stothert, Fehey, Suttle and Daub administrations have lied and mislead the public for decades about the financing of that Baseball Stadium and the Century Link Center. I have no doubt paid thousands and thousands of dollars just on the restaurant tax alone. Ha ha ha that is funny the way they stole our money and spent it so unwisely.

Anyone that is foolish enough to believe that museum is going to be self sufficient is drunk on the Hal Daub/Jean Stothert Koolaid.
Stop going out to eat and you don't have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars on the restaurant tax......or you could move. Stop acting like you're forced when you are not.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Tax wrote:
Stop going out to eat and you don't have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars on the restaurant tax......or you could move. Stop acting like you're forced when you are not.
Stop supporting the discrimination of restaurant patrons in Omaha. Restaurant Patrons Lives Matter. We were not put here on Earth to serve as a source of revenue for every shin ding dumb stadium scam that comes down the road. Pay for your own toys that you want and we will pay for our own food where we want. Restaurant Patrons Lives Matter. :despond:
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

NovakOmaha wrote:I don't know how up to date the web site is but at the "museum" tab it claims that they have selected a contractor. If so someone better tell them that it isn't going to be in Lubbock anymore.

http://web.collegebaseballhall.org/index.jsp
According to the Wayback machine at https://web.archive.org/web/20120215235 ... museum.jsp, the current text and pics were in place as far back as Feb 15 2012.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

If they can run it on their own nickel, then go for it. We should focus our funds onto the projects that we need (safe streets, functional transit, etc) rather than luxuries. No tax money for these sort of projects. As Grandpa has alluded to, we have a number of projects that were supposed to "pay for themselves" and are nowhere close to doing so. We end up getting stuck with the overages. As long as this doesn't happen here, then I am cool with it. I see no reason why the Durham, Joslyn, and the Childrens Museum have to run on their own money, but other museums should get tax support. If this is not the case here, then good luck to them.

7 of 13 million is still a long way away from having all the funds. So I will believe it when I see it.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Tax wrote:
Or the city could stop spending money on things that it can't afford and we could get rid of the restaurant tax. After all, you are not forced to buy toys that you can't afford, and you could move to a different city that likes being in financial peril. Fair is fair.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone know the reason it died on the vine in Lubbock? Probaly says somewhere on the WWW but haven't looked.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Anyone know the reason it died on the vine in Lubbock? Probaly says somewhere on the WWW but haven't looked.
I believe the city didn't have the right property... they wanted to be next to a ballpark
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I want you to quote every single lie those mayors told...specifically every one. Unless you're playing some Andy Kaufman type skit you're picking up where Diane Marie Hayes left off in the OWH forums when the Arena/Convention Center was proposed. If you are seriously wanting every single civic facility to pay for itself Omaha would be advertising wrestling at the Omaha Civic Auditorium. You don't want your taxes going to museums, arenas, etc.? That's fair. I was going to suggest a place where you could move where your taxes wouldn't be spent in such ways but the fact is that there isn't one. Thus, I'm going to suggest that you stay in Omaha, eat out and complain or eat home and complain about something else you don't want your taxes going to. If you really have a problem with your taxes and where they go try something new. Instead of kvetching here actually contact your city councilperson and the mayor. Call. Write a letter. Actually go to the offices. Make your feelings known for real. Don't sit on your porch and tell the kids to stay off your lawn. Get off the porch and be a real citizen. Or just complain here. In college I was a lobbyist for the UNL Student Government. I know from experience that politicians listen if you take the time to tell them your opinions. They may not do what you want but they notice.

Or just sit on your porch and whine.....

Unless you're playing a part...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote:
If they can run it on their own nickel, then go for it. We should focus our funds onto the projects that we need (safe streets, functional transit, etc) rather than luxuries. No tax money for these sort of projects. As Grandpa has alluded to, we have a number of projects that were supposed to "pay for themselves" and are nowhere close to doing so. We end up getting stuck with the overages. As long as this doesn't happen here, then I am cool with it. I see no reason why the Durham, Joslyn, and the Childrens Museum have to run on their own money, but other museums should get tax support. If this is not the case here, then good luck to them.

7 of 13 million is still a long way away from having all the funds. So I will believe it when I see it.
You quote 3 museums, 2 that are even larger than this one would likely be, as being able to run on their own money, yet use this baseball museum as a "this is going to cost us money" spiel. Seems odd. If you're going to angry about government spending, there are far easier targets that you may want to focus on, especially a project that will be run based on grants and donations.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

You quote 3 museums, 2 that are even larger than this one would likely be, as being able to run on their own money, yet use this baseball museum as a "this is going to cost us money" spiel. Seems odd. If you're going to angry about government spending, there are far easier targets that you may want to focus on, especially a project that will be run based on grants and donations.
As long as they run on grants and donations and not taxes, then I wish them well. The city simply has to deal with realities of pension shortfalls and infrastructure needs. These come first, and luxuries follow.
Tax

Post by Tax »

Would love to see a streetcar implemented to go past the new museum as well!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Tax wrote:Would love to see a streetcar implemented to go past the new museum as well!
Sounds like a winner to me :roll: For an exta $25,000 added on to his consultation fee I'm sure that Creighton's world famous economic professor Ernie Goss will gladly profess that the new College Baseball Hall of Fame along with a shiny new street car in front of it will be guaranteed to bring Gazillions of dollars to our city economy :barf:
Last edited by GrandpaaSmucker on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.