Restaurants Hot Seat

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

GrandpaaSmucker
Library Board

Restaurants Hot Seat

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Re: Restaurants Hot Seat

Postby Silverspoon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I wasnt very impressed with the taste of the food, but the amount of food for your buck was very good. Been there once, and wont go again...
Avid 3NewsNow watcher Jim Flowers rules!

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:25 am

Silverspoon wrote:I wasnt very impressed with the taste of the food, but the amount of food for your buck was very good. Been there once, and wont go again...

Basically the same sense I and my wife had of the place. Lots of food, lots of cost, so-so quality. Frankly, it's good chicken, but no better than I can get elsewhere for less.

Won't go back.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 am

I really like the chicken at Strouds and absolutely love the sides. We've only eaten at the restaurant once but we get take out a lot.

Greg

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.

If your track record holds, Strouds will be here in Omaha for at least a century. Possibly two.
No posts exist for this topic

EastCB
Home Owners Association

Postby EastCB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.

If your track record holds, Strouds will be here in Omaha for at least a century. Possibly two.

Sorry, I am with Gramps on this. Have been there twice and we both thought it was just average. Many more places to eat! That are better!!

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby garyomaha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 pm

We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

garyomaha wrote:We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.

Have been there three times. I have never seen the chicken delivered to the table family style, just the sided.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:50 am

nebugeater wrote:
garyomaha wrote:We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.

Have been there three times. I have never seen the chicken delivered to the table family style, just the sided.

Our entrees were served separately, but everything else was served family style, even though it was two of us. We had so many potatoes, we could have fed 3-4 more people. We had good service, but the cost for what we got, especially given the so-so quality made it pretty clear that Omaha has a number of better places to go for fried chicken. Honestly, Alpine Inn does better chicken. And you get the entertainment from the raccoons and children giggling at them.

From the comments in this thread, its pretty clear why that place is not doing better. About half the people on this thread have been there and don't go back. If you are a restaurant and your negatives are 50%, you have a problem.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am

nebugeater wrote:

Yeah the time we ate there only the sides came out family style not the chicken.

Greg

GrandpaaSmucker
Library Board

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 am

MadMartin8 wrote:

Its the year 2050........Strouds is open and packed to the walls yet the parking lot is mostly empty. People don't drive to go out to eat and shop anymore they ride the shiny street cars that run through out the town. I'll let you finish the dream yourself. :lafcry:

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Well, I’ll say this, I’ve eaten at the Strouds down in the KC area multiple times, and was always pleased with the food..

I’ve eaten at the Strouds location here in Omaha exactly one time, and was completely underwhelmed by the food.. The mashed potatoes lacked seasoning and the gravy was lukewarm.. The chicken Fried steak (which is one of their specialties) was completely bland and uninspiring. I’m going to give the place one more shot before I write it off, but it really was not a good experience, at all, the first time around..

Regarding Firebirds Woodfired Grill, I ate there just this past Sunday evening, and it was solid as usual. The place has been around for more than a decade at Village Pointe..There is a reason the parking lot is always packed at Firebirds- Consistently solid food, good portions, and at a fairly moderate price...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Postby Silverspoon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I was just talking with a friend that told me to try it and he had the same feelings. He says the original location is really the only one to blow you away with a great experience, and for some reason, every other, including the other(s) in KC are very poor compared to the original.

onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Postby onelocalfoods » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 am

rumblings of trouble coming from Benson Brewery and Baela Rose

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 am

We are ordering all of our side dishes from Strouds to go along with our turkey for Xmas. Done it before. Highly recommended.

Greg

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am

onelocalfoods wrote:rumblings of trouble coming from Benson Brewery and Baela Rose

darn. The wife and I liked Benson Brewery much more than Infusion when we tried them back-to-back. Could have been a fluke, but Benson was an excellent experience while Infusion was absolute |expletive|.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

Trips
Home Owners Association

Postby Trips » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 am

Benson Brewery surprises me as my food and service has always been good. When I drive for the rideshare companies I would say that 50% of my Benson drop-offs are there. Benson Brewery-La Vista sounds good to me.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Trips wrote:Benson Brewery surprises me as my food and service has always been good. When I drive for the rideshare companies I would say that 50% of my Benson drop-offs are there. Benson Brewery-La Vista sounds good to me.

Their closing would be unfortunate..

Let’s hope they can weather the storm...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Postby onelocalfoods » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm

onelocalfoods wrote:Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing

Closing after Valentine's day.

Padre
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Padre » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Guest wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:Anyone have an idea how Lot 2 is doing

Closing after Valentine's day.

From their Facebook page:
"Lot 2 has made the difficult decision to close the restaurant. Wednesday February 14th will be our last day of service. We are greatly appreciative for the 5+ years of support that you all have shown us. We are also forever grateful for all of the talented individuals that we have had the pleasure of working with, both past and present, and wish them all the success in the future.
We look forward to celebrating the last days with you and hope to see as many of you as we can!
Thanks!"

onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Postby onelocalfoods » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

remind me not to ask you to guess about the superbowl.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 pm

onelocalfoods wrote:
Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

remind me not to ask you to guess about the superbowl.

If you did take his prediction advice, you'd definitely want to hedge that bet :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

GrandpaaSmucker
Library Board

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:37 pm

We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.

If it is anyth8ng like the on in Gretna at the outlet mall it might have as much to do,with service / value as location. I want so bad to like the Gretna location but each time I have went there it has been a desaster. I gave up. For the prices, the service should be above average and the food should be decent in a timely manor. Three strikes for me. I no longer go there and will not try it again

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.

Meanwhile they just opened their fourth spot in Lincoln and rolled out their own 5186 IPA. From the looks of it Charlie
Yin is doing well.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 am

Coyote wrote:

Meanwhile they just opened their fourth spot in Lincoln and rolled out their own 5186 IPA. From the looks of it Charlie
Yin is doing well.

I get that Coyote and I do not go to the DT location. Go other places when in that area. It is great that they are growing. That being said the one in Gretna and to a lesser extent from what I see on a much more limited routine what is going on at those two doesn't pass the eyeball test. I know you ave been to the Gretna one a couple of times. What was your experience on service.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Bruno's closing. Short run.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Guest wrote:Bruno's closing. Short run.

Charlie Yin's Bruno's Pasta Co. on W. Maple?

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Postby Silverspoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm

You forgot the Eat Fit Go between the two.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 am

Coyote wrote:

Is Lombardo's Bistro & Bar still open around the corner from Bruno's?
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes, Lombardos is still open. If you haven’t tried it, you should. It is really good!

onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Postby onelocalfoods » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Benson Brewery Purchased by 1912 Benson.

Whoever you are, guessing is not your strong suit 0-2

:thumb:

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Postby Silverspoon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:09 pm

onelocalfoods wrote:

Benson Brewery Purchased by 1912 Benson.

Whoever you are, guessing is not your strong suit 0-2

:thumb:

:clap:

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Coyote wrote:

Yes. Closed Sunday. Word is that Charlie is more than difficult to work for, they couldn't keep a chef.

Stirring the Pot

Postby Stirring the Pot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 am

Probably not a popular submission...but I’ll say Spin! Pizza in the bay that is notorious for not keeping restaurants on 175th and Center. First few times we were there seemed very promising. However, after a few recent visits we have noticed a decline in the food and service quality. We all know that does not bode well in the Omaha restaurant scene.

$35.00 for 3 individual pizzas, 2 salads, and 2 gelato, & horrible service is not going to help them. Hope I’m wrong, but time will tell.

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Postby Silverspoon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Boston Market on 114th Dodge closed up shop finally.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Silverspoon wrote:Boston Market on 114th Dodge closed up shop finally.

Reported here a couple of weeks or so ago.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18106&p=284674&hilit=Boston+Market#p284674

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby garyomaha » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Silverspoon wrote:Boston Market on 114th Dodge closed up shop finally.

We always enjoyed eating there. I believe they started out with five locations in Omaha but over time all the others -- and now this one -- closed for one reason or another. Perhaps they weren't as popular with others as they were with us. Some of their side items are hard to find elsewhere, and that was part of their charm for me. I will miss them.

Return to “Rumors”