RanchBowl Walmart

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

RanchBowl Walmart

Post by Brad »

*****RUMOR*****

I heard that they are not going to build a Walmart at the RanchBowl location but they are going to build walmarts new prototype grocery store "My Neighborhood Market"

My source also told me that walmart is trying to buy one of the other grocery store chains in the area to convert to their grocery store.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Interesting Brad..

Any guess as to what grocery store chains you think Wal-Mart is looking at locally?..

I would think Baker's (Kroger's) and Hy-Vee would be practically untouchable..

Bag 'N Save and No Frills perhaps??..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You never know with bakers. When Kroger's bought them Bakers was #1 I know they have steadily been on the decline, Hy Vee is now #1 and Baker's has been closing and selling stores left and right, Kroger could possiable be looking to get out of the market.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:

'Kroger could possiable be looking to get out of the market.'..

Now THAT would be huge..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I sort of hate WalMart with a passion. They are really an insulting company, especially to the historic and aesthetic fabric of cities and towns.

It is really strange, because Target is roughly in the same category as WalMart, but they aren't so steamrolling gand omnipresent, so people rarely hate them. Plus Target gives some consideration to aesthetics.

I guess that's the difference in a store being started out of Rogers, Arkansas (wal-mart) than Minneapolis (Target).
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Hopefully Omaha By Design will step up to make sure this walmart, or whatever it is, isn't that crappy blue and grey building.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No surprise... we had been speculating that this would be a 'Neighborhood Market' back when discussion of the site going to Walmart had originally come up. The property isn't large enough otherwise.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Swift wrote:
It is really strange, because Target is roughly in the same category as WalMart, but they aren't so steamrolling gand omnipresent, so people rarely hate them. Plus Target gives some consideration to aesthetics.

TO put Target and WalMart in the same catagory is a real insult to Target.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.walmartstores.com/wmstore/wm ... ntents.jsp
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets
Neighborhood Markets offer a convenient shopping experience for customers who need groceries, pharmaceuticals and general merchandise. Generally, they are located in markets with Wal-Mart Supercenters, supplementing a strong food distribution network and providing added convenience while maintaining Wal-Mart's Every Day Low Prices. First opened in 1998, the now more than 75 Neighborhood Markets, averaging 43,000 square feet, feature a wide variety of products, including fresh produce, deli foods, fresh meat and dairy items, health and beauty aids, one-hour photo and traditional photo developing services, drive-through pharmacies, stationery and paper goods, pet supplies, and household chemicals. Neighborhood Markets employ 95 associates on average and offer about 38,000 items.
WalMart Sucks, Anyone seen the "Starbucks" southpark episode, some one told me they have one where they make fun of Walmart also
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:You never know with bakers. When Kroger's bought them Bakers was #1 I know they have steadily been on the decline, Hy Vee is now #1 and Baker's has been closing and selling stores left and right, Kroger could possiable be looking to get out of the market.
Note that Bakers is closing their 84th & Center store...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Brad wrote:You never know with bakers. When Kroger's bought them Bakers was #1 I know they have steadily been on the decline, Hy Vee is now #1 and Baker's has been closing and selling stores left and right, Kroger could possiable be looking to get out of the market.
Note that Bakers is closing their 84th & Center store...
We've had an in depth discussion about that on this thread:

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2148

FYI..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I dont like walmarts groceries. In my opinion, their deli and produce always seem to be inferior to Hy-Vee. But mainly, I dont like walmart period.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Target and Wal-Mart operate *roughly* in the same business model, the thing that is so offensive about Wal-Mart is that they are so violent and without discretion in their expansion. I hope that Wal-Mart's workers actually do form a relevant union, so as to stop the company's colonial-esque expansions techniques.
POTUS
Home Owners Association

Post by POTUS »

http://img75.echo.cx/img75/981/ranchbowl10wm.jpg
http://img75.echo.cx/img75/4247/ranchbowl22pc.jpg

If you click these links, they are aerial shots of Lake Manawa Wal*Mart and the Ranch Bowl. If you Right Click-Save As, you can compare the two side by side. You'll notice in the Ranch Bowl picture that the lot behind the parking lot is empty, save another small parking lot. The green to the north of the Ranch Bowl is sloping downhill, so some grading would have to be done.