Gallup Expansion

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Gallup Expansion

Post by almighty_tuna »

I know that the expansion of Gallup is not a rumor, however due to the small number of details I have I'm sticking it here. Gallup's planning another building on their campus, likely completed in 2007. First hints indicate it will not be a tall building and will be located between the current campus and Riverfront Place.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What will it be built for?
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Heh, we're just plumb outta room. I'm not sure on what departments will be moved over to this new building though. When I find out more I'll post it.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

So are they going build on the daycare parking lot? I can't recall any available space between Gallup and RFP otherwise.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No, the parking lot to the west of the daycare is going to remain intact i believe. There's actually quite a bit of space between the docks and the RFP property line on the south side. I found this pic from the RFP construction. The line of trees in the background i think is the property line - plenty of room between there and the main buildling.

CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Kind of a waste to put another 3 or 4 story building there, no? Way too valuable a piece with the future RFP and bridge adjacent to it, but probably too small for any type of hotel I guess. They really should've put Gallup on the other side of Abbot with condos/hotels spanning the Missouri.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I've never minded the Gallup campus... #1 the jobs (and Tuna) brought to Omaha... #2 the campus setting is compatible with the river walk/Miller's Landing setting. There's plenty of space elsewhere around downtown for dense development and Gallup could yet convert some of their surface parking into garages to make space for more density.

You could have left it open for something else... but we could still be waiting years to come for that something else to come along as well.

Still much longer term, you never know what the riverfront could ultimately end up with (ie re-use of the Gallup space).
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I have to side with Count a bit here. I don't particularly care for the suburban style campus that Gallup has and would prefer something with less sprawling buildings. Gallup was able to create a master plan for a ConAgra type campus downtown and get away with it. Probably because what's there now is a damn sight better that what used to be, and it didn't take the razing of 20 beautiful buildings to get there. Nonetheless the campus seems like it would be more at home along the West Dodge Freeway from a pure design standpoint. As far as being along the river though, if Gallup was unable to get that site, then it wouldn't have built in Omaha.

On the other hand, that area is a bit of a transition into downtown from the airport oriented businesses and signage along that northern stretch of Abbott. With that billboard gone (as you drive into the city from the airport by the entrance to the Anchor off Abbott) I think it will be a nice visual lead-in to downtown, especially when RFP is finished. Jeff's right, it fits in well with the Miller's Landing park setting.

I would be very surprised if a parking garage was built at Gallup. The field in front of the main building was seeded with wildflowers so I don't think you'll see anything else there for a while either. But the business, Tuna and exposure it brings to Omaha is a good trade-off. ;)
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Not tall? Are we talking like a one story structure?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

There probably are very few if any here who -would- prefer a campus layout like what Gallup ended up with. So, again, we could have chosen to wait many years for a corporate relocation that was seeking a more dense, riverfront plan. Personally, I'd rather act today, bring those jobs downtown, and then re-examine the environment down the road (heck, I hope it's not the case Tuna, but we don't even know how many years Gallup will remain with us here in Omaha... it's a rapidly moving world out there).

As for parking structures.. there was a time when no one could have envisioned any parking garages in downtown Omaha. That is to say, things evolve... it may be many years, but it will happen.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

By the way, InPlay has been seeing Gallop employees at lunchtime. Being out a bit from downtown, I expected our Monday to Friday lunchtimes to be pretty dull, but I actually do a good sized business at lunch, especially Friday. I think this lends credibility to the idea of having some office development in the North Downtown plan. Offices provide business in an entertainment district at times when people are not out having fun.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Hopefully you're seeing a few people from infoUSA. We're developing quite a little enclave of bodies over at Owen Parkway (although I'm way out in Papillion myself).
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaChef wrote:Not tall? Are we talking like a one story structure?
I would imagine that it wouldn't be any taller than three stories to match the other parts of the building. You shouldn't be surprised at the lunch crowd! Your spot is the closest with great prices, parking and food. I wish you were open late late so I could pop by for a take-out "lunch" every now and then on the weekends. Many people around the office have talked favorably about InPlay.

Gallup will remain in Omaha for a good long time. At least the next 50 years, well into my retirement! The Omaha office is the largest city center in the company with several hundred employees (not counting interviewers in Old Mill) and with the growth we anticipate having, moving would be a big mistake. There's no place else in Nebraska that is better that where we are now and other states just aren't an option in the forseeable future.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Glad to hear it! Gallup is an important part of downtown now.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The area that Tuna was talking about for the expansion building can be seen here:

http://www.riverfrontplace.com/photo_gallery.html

Scroll down to the 9th picture.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks Finn! Looking at the photo, it seems there is plenty of room for a building there.