Notes From Bellevue

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Notes From Bellevue

Post by OmahaChef »

Driving up Haskell from Galvin toward Fort Crook, I noticed there are several Hawkins Construction trailers placed along the north side of the former SuperKMart site. Anyone hear anything about what might be happening with the site? I have noticed that Bellevue University has been using the parking lot there to park their campus vans.

Also, about a month ago, the property at the southwest corner of Chandler Road and Kennedy Freeway has been sold. It is a rather sizeable piece of land and in the last few years has been used to supply fill for a lot of constuction projects downtown. Haven't heard anything about this one either. Anyone else have any info on it? Oh, and no, it is not the Kennedy Freeway Center, Plaza, Centre or whatever plans there were for the propoerty at the southeast corner of this intersection. This is the land at the southwest corner.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have not heard many rumors out of Bellevue in a while, the last major one was when the concrete casting place was going to move and a major retail development was going to replace it. The problem with bellevue is all the unorganized roads, its like a spaghetti bowl, no a grid, like Omaha.
nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Post by nebrwesleyan »

Bellevue U is expanding into that site. Today was the kick off day for HDR's weeklong public forum on fort crook road. They are doing a massive study on the area to revitalize it. We pretty much gave suggestions, nothing major, but every other day this week from 6-8pm their large team from all over will be there providing plans and details and taking suggestions and then on friday will unvail their utlimate vision for the area. You can go to their website...www.fortcrook.com and take a look...also, the sears building is up for sale....maybe they are mving west to shadow lake?
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

nebrweslyan is right about Bellevue University. About a month or two ago in the Bellevue Leader there was an article about it. What I can remember is that is going to be around 14-15 million dollar faciltiy built on the hill behind the old K-mart. Then they plan on tearing down the former K-mart building. I cant remember what they said the building was going to be used for. I didnt have any luck searching on Bellevue University's website or the Bellevue Leader site either.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Sounds great! That sure beats the massive boarded up KMart building. But...sorry to hear the Sears building is for sale. Yet another vacant retail space on Fort Crook? The concrete plant is closed now, and they have done some demolition, but are waiting to see who buys the property and what their plans are, before investing too much in demolition work.

I filled out the online survey for this week's HDR study. I think Fort Crook could be an even nicer street. Wide grassy median, and vegetation along some parts of it. I don't think it will ever be a retail destination again, so why not tear down some of the vacant spaces and infill apartments or other housing. Just one suggestion. .
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks for posting that Vince! As an armchair urban planner wannabe, my proposals in the online survey was to replace the unused spaces with housing of some sort. Fort Crook will never be a retail venue again. Property like the old Gordman's, the concrete plant, now possibly Sears, even the commercial zoned vacant land that is adjacant to the old KMart could become multi-family housing. Especially the land around the KMart site, sitting up on the hill and all. Nice views all around. And Fort Crook is convenient to Kennedy Freeway via a number of cross streets, and not to far from the newer retail opportunities that have sprung up heading westward.

The TV coverage of this charrette mentioned taking advantage of the existing office buildings, like those heading toward 370, but a lot of those are going to become empty when the new buildings are completed up 370, so I sure wouldn't be recommending more office space.

Now I need to win the lottery, and put my money where my mouth is!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

The problem with developing much of the land around fort crook road is that it sits in the 100 year floodplain. This raises the cost of development significantly. Then you also have the runway restrictions from Offutt to deal with as well.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Sounds like the perfect application for another Saddlecreek like pond and a broad boulevard running alongside.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

From the OWH....Bellevue has a plan for Fort Crook Road.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1484934
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

In the Bellevue Leader from this week they had renderings, and also said that they wanted to turn Fort Crook and Cornhusker into a Roundabout. I dont see how that would work there are just too many cars going through that intersection. Plus, they would proubly take out that fun bump in the road when your heading west down the hill on cornhusker. :D
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »