Rumor: Weitz pulls out of Burlington Station

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

rtpetersomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Rumor: Weitz pulls out of Burlington Station

Post by rtpetersomaha »

My construction executive friend says he has heard through the grapevine that the Weitz company, which was supposedly to begin construction on the Burlington Station, has pulled out of the project because of a lack of capital on the owner's part. Apparently, Myriel Hiner could not secure bonding for her company. (This doesn't make complete sense to me, but I'm not an expert - just going off of what my friend tells me.) He says Weitz people were not convinced Hiner had the financial backing to make the project work, gave her a deadline to come up with the backers, and upon missing that deadline, pulled out of the project. This is apparently pretty hush-hush, but my friend says he believes it to be true. I'm not sure, but I thought I would pass it along for discussion.

If it's true, I sure hope the city, or maybe a group of philanthropists interested in the Western Heritage Museum, would get together to save this old gem. I always thought turning it into condos was a waste of such a grand, public structure.
Last edited by rtpetersomaha on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

rtpeters, the only time you drop by is to tell us about how the Burlington Station project is going to fail. What gives?
rtpetersomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by rtpetersomaha »

I read the site all the time, but the only thing I have a little "inside" information on is this project. Even that information might be wrong - just going on what my construction friend tells me.

I really want the Burlington Station to be revived. I have watched it since it closed when I was a teenager. I remember my parents talking about catching trains there. I am interested in the whole thing. When I heard it was going to be redone into condos, I was a little disappointed, but still wanted to see it succeed, so I have been talking to my friend about it. Every time he hears something about it, he passes it on to me. I'm sorry if I offended. Just wanted to share what could be the inside scoop. Again - just a rumor I'm offering for discussion. If someone has other information that proves this wrong, I would love to hear that too!
Last edited by rtpetersomaha on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

You didn't offend rtpeters. Be glad you have a contact on a project and can pass on what you hear. That is what makes this board work. Some of us have contacts and we pass on what we know, when we feel it is appropriate and we won't offend our sources. Don't be discouraged by negative posters. Please continue to pass on what you hear. It's the only way we can get inside info on what is going on in Omaha before the traditional media gets around to it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

:cry:
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaChef wrote:You didn't offend rtpeters. Be glad you have a contact on a project and can pass on what you hear. That is what makes this board work. Some of us have contacts and we pass on what we know, when we feel it is appropriate and we won't offend our sources. Don't be discouraged by negative posters. Please continue to pass on what you hear. It's the only way we can get inside info on what is going on in Omaha before the traditional media gets around to it.
Nicely put and thanks!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Didn't someone else post last month that this project possibly wasn't going to work?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah, JHiner came on to debunk some of that last set of rumors. He was pretty adament (sp) about the project continuing on without any setbacks. I'd expect more of the same unless things are really going downhill.
jhiner1
New to the Neighborhood

Onward as usual

Post by jhiner1 »

Here we go again, two negative postings, makes me think the guy has a problem. I sure would like to know who this developer friend of yours is.

Anyhow this is what is going on in my world

The Architects are pretty much done with the plans. Working on the final drafts with the engineers has begun

Started the marketing efforts, Ads, Websites, etc...

Im not so sure this guy knows what he is talking about, "Bonding" , "backers", its all greek to me, we just had more meetings with Weitz last week.

to each their own...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Time will tell who is more reliable......... :?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i wish it could be made back into a transportation hub again, maybe downtowns main bus station? One can dream... but then again, I'm sure it would be full of homeless like the current greyhound station