Development at I-80 and Highway 6

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Development at I-80 and Highway 6

Post by icejammer »

Some of you may be aware that a few years back, the parcel on the southwest of this intersection was graded level, with the owners (Wiebe Charitable Foundation) coyly denying that any development of the land was forthcoming, saying they were leveling it to plant alfalfa to "reduce erosion" (never mind the land was well-established grass pasture, but that's a whole 'nother issue). Anyway, rumor at the time was that the land would not be developed until the current owner passes on and the land was passed down, so they leveled the land now to make it more "develop-able" for the heirs (especially as it consists of several parcels, supposedly going to different heirs). Anyway, over the last few years, I heard a few rumors that some were looking to this area as a place to relocate some of the truckstops from S. 24th to open that area up more for an "entertainment corridor." Yesterday, drove by the west side of the property, along College Road, and they were doing work to get 2 access roads to the property ready for pour. Still not hearing any rumors to the contrary of the truck stop rumors, but the access roads don't seem conducive to truck traffic, so there may be some commercial development coming down the pike for this area (or maybe even residential, which is slated for the next property to the south along the interstate). So we'll see what transpires in the near future.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Just to be sure, you ARE talking about I-80/Hwy6 in Council Bluffs, right? Hopefully 24th St will get more entertainment oriented.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Correct, that other one (I-80/Hwy 6) is too darn far away for me to know anything about. :wink:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

icejammer wrote:Correct, that other one (I-80/Hwy 6) is too darn far away for me to know anything about. :wink:
:shock: But its in the METRO!! ;)