DT Whole Foods Rumor

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

DT Whole Foods Rumor

Post by Coyote »

Got out of the basement today to go to the new Whole Foods.
It is absolutely wonderful and amazing and was packed with people at 2 in the afternoon!
I got sashimi tuna and an unagi bowl. 2 baskets of figs for $5.
I hope Omaha can support this place because...

I went up to who I thought was the manager from Texas because he was wearing a texas flag polo shirt and telling someone what color wood to accent the place. Anyway I complimented him on the store which kicks butt over the second one in Austin (in the Arboretum area - which will be moved but that is not this rumor. The first one on 6th & Lamar moved across the street and people tell me that is the best in the country) when he tells me that they want to build a Whole Foods downtown when the time is right. Many of the people moving into DT condos are the type of clientele that would shop at a WF.

So here is the first rumor of Whole Foods building DT in a few years.
Now - back to the basement.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

That would be great!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It would be a perfect fit (by then).
15-17, 26, 32
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Great stuff, Coyote! Now we just need to find an AC contractor with a grocery store contract in DT...
cosmoguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cosmoguy »

Ya, the downtown location here is CRAZY! You cannot even find a spot in the underground parking garage or in the surface lot. It is a really impressive store and if Omaha could land anything similar, that would be awesome. I live by that Arboretum store...what's the rumor there?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

cosmoguy wrote:I live by that Arboretum store...what's the rumor there?
That store was showing its age when I lived there 8 years ago. He said they will move it sometime. Whether they build like they did on Lamar or remodel a store like they did here isn't known yet.

The way they remodeled the WF here - using the former Burlington Coat Factory and Sheplers is great. Nice high ceiling - large wooden beams. It has a great feel to it. Unlike the Central Market in Austin - the place I would go for groceries - which felt like a warehouse or worse yet a Walmart - but had the greatest selection of food. I hear they built a new CM in Austin, but haven't been back yet.
cosmoguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cosmoguy »

The new central market isn't much different, but I have to say...I really like it. It reminds me of the markets in Costa Rica where I used to live (only cleaner). It's such a cool concept.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Re: DT Whole Foods Rumor

Post by Calibraskan »

Any recent impressions of this store and how its doing?.......

My sister lives near a new Whole Foods in S.E. Denver and says it is unf#*@ing believable!! 8)
I spend a lot of time (and money at the one near me in W. L.A....Its not over the top but a cool store compared to anything in my area.
You have to want to pay for the quality and health factor though....The group of people I associate with have nicknamed it
"Whole paycheck Foods"....but continue to swarm the place.
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Re: DT Whole Foods Rumor

Post by ladyred »

I have been there several times. I am cost concscious though so am careful what I buy. They do have a great selection of cheese. I was there one day and a woman was in line at the check out with a cart full of stuff. She was telling me that "This is just a great place! Now I won't have to cook anymore." I was eyeing some of her purchases and one of them was a small tinfoil cake pan with about 10 small prepared meatballs with sauce for $18.
I guess because I am of a "Certain age" I would rather be beaten than pay that much for something like that!! :lol: