Apple Store coming to Omaha? *Wishes*

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Apple Store coming to Omaha? *Wishes*

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Yesterday in Apple's Q4 2005 Conference call, Apple said they had planned on opening 35-40 more Apple stores in the United States in 2006. While there was no mention of where they were going to be located, I sure wish they would come to Omaha. According to Apple's website, there is a store in Des Moines and Kansas City (Which I have never been to :cry: )

The best places to get Mac merchandise and computers is NFM and CompUSA. The sales people at NFM are clueless about Macs (they will even tell you that the PC repair devision will do more harm then good and you should buy the Applecare plan). CompUSA is pretty decent for Mac knowledge when it comes to personal computing, but they really lack any proffessional information.

*Crossing my fingers*
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Are you an Apple Shareholder?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm going to move this thread over to the Rumors section..

Although we did have this discussion in the Rumors section contained in this thread back in May:

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1940

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

the apple store in Des Moines(as you might've guessed) is in Jordan Creek.

its just a matter of time for Omaha.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

If Mac is opening 35-40 new stores in 2006, there is no way they can miss Omaha. (I hope. :x )
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Friendly neighborhood evangelizing Mac friend (and shareholder) here...

"Mac" is not a company. Neither is iPod, PowerMac, iBook or Final Cut Pro.

Apple is a company that makes Macs and the other products, including the kick butt new video iPod.

It would be like saying Mustang is a company. Ford is a company that makes Mustangs.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

hey, Big E, I'm an Apple shareholder as well. Is there some sort of shareholder's discount? And if so how do I get it?
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

Shareholders don't get discounts unfortunately. But since you own the stock you should be making money on it, if you spend more on Apple merchandise you will beneifit the companys net income so its a win win situation! :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

About the only place I know of off-hand with a shareholder's discount is Borsheim's in Regency. So if you want to pony up $84,800 for a share of Berkshire Hathaway, go for it. I'm sure there's others, but I don't know any.

Although you didn't hear it from me: all you have to do at Borsheim's is ask for the discount. They don't even check.

-Big E
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

Big E wrote:About the only place I know of off-hand with a shareholder's discount is Borsheim's in Regency. So if you want to pony up $84,800 for a share of Berkshire Hathaway, go for it. I'm sure there's others, but I don't know any.
The $2,788 BRK-B shares also count.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=brk-b

Lonnie
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Thanks anyway. Luckily I have a student discount at my school (my next purchase dropped from $2100 to $1300). Actually I'm not making too much money on Apple since I only have a handful of shares.

Ameritrade has been fattening up account though.

Re: Apple Store coming to Omaha? *Wishes*

Post by Guest »

bradley414 wrote:Yesterday in Apple's Q4 2005 Conference call, Apple said they had planned on opening 35-40 more Apple stores in the United States in 2006. While there was no mention of where they were going to be located, I sure wish they would come to Omaha. According to Apple's website, there is a store in Des Moines and Kansas City (Which I have never been to :cry: )

The best places to get Mac merchandise and computers is NFM and CompUSA. The sales people at NFM are clueless about Macs (they will even tell you that the PC repair devision will do more harm then good and you should buy the Applecare plan). CompUSA is pretty decent for Mac knowledge when it comes to personal computing, but they really lack any proffessional information.

*Crossing my fingers*
I'm sick of you guys hating on CompUSA. What do you expect from people making 8-10 dollars an hour? You think Best Buy does any better a job?

Also the only reason NFM is telling you that now, is the company contracted out to do repairs for them, lost their apple contract. You got to do some seriously bad things to lose the contract. That is the only reason they now sell Applecare. CompUSA sells Applecare and we are actually allowed to repair them.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

"Guest", now hold on a sec here:
bradley414 wrote:CompUSA is pretty decent for mac knowledge when it comes to personal computing..."
bradley414 wrote:The sales people at NFM ar clueless about Macs..."
Sounds like hatin' towards NFM and a compliment to CompUSA.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I've been to the Apple store in Jordan Creek in WDM. Its pretty cool, hopefully we can land one for the O pretty soon. I like Apple stuff and would prolly consider running it if it wasn't so expensive. Ipods are sweet, though my friend just got a 60gig about a month ago and now the video ones just came out at the same price point. He wasn't real thrilled. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
bradley414 wrote:Yesterday in Apple's Q4 2005 Conference call, Apple said they had planned on opening 35-40 more Apple stores in the United States in 2006. While there was no mention of where they were going to be located, I sure wish they would come to Omaha. According to Apple's website, there is a store in Des Moines and Kansas City (Which I have never been to :cry: )

*Crossing my fingers*
I'm sick of you guys hating on CompUSA. What do you expect from people making 8-10 n hour?

Yes, the folks at Best Buy actually attempt tp be helpful, which is more than I can say for anyone at Comp USA anytime I've been there.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Cut it out people.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Big E wrote:While it's true you can't buy a $400 Mac new, once you start comparing features of the $700-$1200 units, it's pretty even. In some cases the Macs even blow the Windows PCs out of the water.
Very true, Big E.

I'd pick a Mac just for Mac OS X, given pricing is a moot point.
The constant problems Windows users have with addware, spyware, security holes, etc. it is more like a dependent than a useful tool.

Clearly Apple has had some misses in the past, but currently, Mac OS X is hard to beat with it's plug-and-play hardware and rock-solid UNIX core.

Lonnie
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Mac minis start at only like $400...granted that doesn't include the monitor, keyboard or mouse, but still is a good price.

I'm getting the super-drive g4 mac mini (roughly $700 retail).
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Anonymous wrote:

*Crossing my fingers*
I'm sick of you guys hating on CompUSA. What do you expect from people making 8-10 dollars an hour? You think Best Buy does any better a job?

Also the only reason NFM is telling you that now, is the company contracted out to do repairs for them, lost their apple contract. You got to do some seriously bad things to lose the contract. That is the only reason they now sell Applecare. CompUSA sells Applecare and we are actually allowed to repair them.
Yeah, I PREFER to go to CompUSA over NFM, and the guys at CompUSA are pretty competant, but not at a professional level that I would expect an Applestore Employee to be. Turst me, CompUSA has gotten plenty of my dollars. When it comes to Macs, the sales staff at CompUSA blows NFM out of the water. I would also expect an Applestore to carry a lot more software and peripherals that are geard towards professional content devolpers.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Swift wrote:Mac minis start at only like $400...granted that doesn't include the monitor, keyboard or mouse, but still is a good price.

The thing I don't like about the mini is the un-godly slow hardrives. If you can afford a USB 7200 RPM extrenal hard-drive, pick one up. Installing programs and running off the back-up drive is a night and day difference. Otherwise, just scrimp for one of the new iMacs. (I have a 20" 2.0 Ghz iMac)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

You guys seem to know a lot about PCs, but what about notebooks? Any suggestions? I need something to store photos and music, work with videos, etc.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Finn wrote:You guys seem to know a lot about PCs, but what about notebooks? Any suggestions? I need something to store photos and music, work with videos, etc.
Get an Apple Powerbook. They are pricey, but well worth it.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

I just heard another anouncement that October 19 Apple was going to roll out some new "professional hardware." My guess is new power macs and power books. If you can wait another week, you might be able to get a deal with retailers dumping the current power books for the newer ones. I know NFM drops the price of their old inventory pretty good.

Make sure you get at least 1 gig of Ram for vdeo editing.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

bradley414 wrote:
Swift wrote:Mac minis start at only like $400...granted that doesn't include the monitor, keyboard or mouse, but still is a good price.

The thing I don't like about the mini is the un-godly slow hardrives. If you can afford a USB 7200 RPM extrenal hard-drive, pick one up. Installing programs and running off the back-up drive is a night and day difference. Otherwise, just scrimp for one of the new iMacs. (I have a 20" 2.0 Ghz iMac)
Runs a G4...it's not too slow. Slower han a G5 of course.

Powerbooks are nice, but expensive. iBooks are good too and less expensive.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

It has to be Powerbooks and Powermacs. We can't seem to get any more in right now.