Southroads

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ladyred
Home Owners Association

Southroads

Post by ladyred »

Better half was near there the other day and said he saw a sign about ebay and paypal where the Penney's Outlet store used to be. Anybody know anything about that?
Ladyred the nosy
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

PayPal has run out of room at their office building in Sarpy County, and has moved some staff into the former J.C. Penney Outlet Store. As mentioned in another thread this week, they are looking to add a second office building to their campus, but it wouldn't be done till late next year. They needed a place to continue their expansion plans until the new building is completed.
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Thanks Omahachef!
I had been reading the other thread but never put the two together. :oops:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This may be old news but I have not seen anything here and had not noticed it until the last week or so.  There is a new sign along the street at the Southroads that now proclaims it Southroads Technology Center rather than the old Southroads Mall.  Does anyone know if there is any retail in the "center" any more?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

nebugeater wrote:This may be old news but I have not seen anything here and had not noticed it until the last week or so.  There is a new sign along the street at the Southroads that now proclaims it Southroads Technology Center rather than the old Southroads Mall.  Does anyone know if there is any retail in the "center" any more?
To my knowledge, there is no retail left, unless you consider some small food court type eateries and the gym.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... t006a00001
Former retail facility now redeveloped into large office user site. Tremendous parking ratios of more than 10:1. Bellevue location with close proximity to Offutt Air Force Base and downtown Omaha. Easy access to the rest of the Metro area via Hwy. 75 & I-80. Current tenants include TD Ameritrade, PayPal and CoSentry. A state-of-the-art common area food court on the upper level will be completed later this fall. Perfect location for call center, disaster recovery center or defense contractor.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Noticed late yesterday that the Burger King Building that has been empty for 3 or more years in the near the Southroads  property had activity in it.  There were two vans parked at the door from a professional cleaning service and there were 3 or 4 people in the building that I could see cleaning in the old seating area.

This could mean that the owners are just putting a little time and effort into upkeep on a vacant building or there is something going in there.  As an afterthought I looked to see if the lease / sale signs were up and I didn't see them and I know they have been there.  I will have to look closer next time I drive by to see if I just missed them.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When I lived near there years ago, that used to be a Hardee's.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:When I lived near there years ago, that used to be a Hardee's.
really,  I would have never guessed that from the building.  It has too much BK in the design.  How long ago?  I have been working in the area for 10 years and it had always been a BK until it closed it that time.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I lived over there about 13-15 years ago.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It kind of looks like a Hardee's, the greenhouse thing is not rounded like a BK building

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That used to have a play area with one of those ball pits and a merry go round.
DTO
someonethere

Post by someonethere »

Does anyone know anything about the info that was recently added to the Wikipedia entry?  It's poorly written and gives no references as to the whole Dillards and Younkers thing.  Any ideas?

[Can't link to Wikipedia article because posting as guest]

[ http : // en.wikipedia .org/ wiki/ Southroads_Mall ]
It's rumored that southroads may become a mall again after Ameritrade's lease ends. Ameritrade has decided recently to leave in 2011 from Southroads mall leaving question to the rumors of it becoming a mall again becoming more and more real. It is a big loss to the Southroads but also opens up it to being available to become a mall again. With the city doing the right stuff to improve it could mean a big return to it being a mall again. In much reality, they will have no choice since Ameritrade is leaving. Ameritrade is rumored to be giving $50,000 to the city in order to get retail tenants for the mall.

It has been officially released that Southroads will return to the mall format in 2012. The original food court will be updated and new stores will be put in. It is said to be done as the current format is failing. Project should be done in 2012 when the grand reopening will take place. Younkers will be coming back as also a dillards store to.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

someonethere wrote:Does anyone know anything about the info that was recently added to the Wikipedia entry?  It's poorly written and gives no references as to the whole Dillards and Younkers thing.  Any ideas?

[Can't link to Wikipedia article because posting as guest]

[ http : // en.wikipedia .org/ wiki/ Southroads_Mall ]
It's rumored that southroads may become a mall again after Ameritrade's lease ends. Ameritrade has decided recently to leave in 2011 from Southroads mall leaving question to the rumors of it becoming a mall again becoming more and more real. It is a big loss to the Southroads but also opens up it to being available to become a mall again. With the city doing the right stuff to improve it could mean a big return to it being a mall again. In much reality, they will have no choice since Ameritrade is leaving. Ameritrade is rumored to be giving $50,000 to the city in order to get retail tenants for the mall.

It has been officially released that Southroads will return to the mall format in 2012. The original food court will be updated and new stores will be put in. It is said to be done as the current format is failing. Project should be done in 2012 when the grand reopening will take place. Younkers will be coming back as also a dillards store to.
Yes, that is true that Ameritrade is leaving Southroads and giving $50,000 to fund the return to a retail mall.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... 34&u_rss=1&
someonethere

Post by someonethere »

I know about the $50,000 deal, but is there any info about the Younkers and Dillards portion by chance?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

someonethere wrote:I know about the $50,000 deal, but is there any info about the Younkers and Dillards portion by chance?
No idea on that. Maybe someone here has some inside knowledge of that.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

someonethere wrote:I know about the $50,000 deal, but is there any info about the Younkers and Dillards portion by chance?
I don't think it would make sense for Dillards to movie there, aren't they closing at crossroads?
Leaving one failing mall to move into a failed mall?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's bogus.  Younker's parent company  (Bon-Ton) is really struggling.  No way they are adding any new stores any time soon.

Greg