New Mall by the Flying J

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

New Mall by the Flying J

Post by MTO »

I heard that a developer wants to put up a new mall out by Gretna. Not sure the size or anything yet.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There are tenants in the Outlet mall there were surveyed with great detail about a year ago. Of course this was before the Cabala’s announcement and from person I know that manages a business out there Cabala’s was looking at the land across I80 from the outlet mall and across the hwy from the Flying J as part of a development. The word then was that Cabala’s would go there if the State incentives came though and if they didn't there is still a plan for development.

My first pass though is that the current Outlet mall needs to be fully utilizes first. There is potential there but nothing seems to "stick" Second though is that this is not the side of the interstate that I would want to develop on unless there was a “major” draw to get people there. The traffic flow off of I80 at Hw6 is to the North.

I have no insight to where the “new” location might be but I would hope that it is to the N of I80 and not what I was hearing a year ago. There is options on either side.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nebraska Crossing needs a huge remodel. There is potential there, but right now the place looks so bland and unappealing. Give it a Village Pointe appeal and I'm sure many outlet tennants would consider setting up shop or, in some cases re-setting up shop.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Have any of you ever been to the Williamsburg, IA outlet mall (outside of Iowa City)? That place is bland as well, but is always packed. However, the selection and variety of stores they have crushes what NE Crossing has. Last time I was there, quite a few empty stores were present...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They just need to rename the crossing VP south and the H2s will flock there.
15-17, 26, 32
Allen

Post by Allen »

Maybe what you heard is that Copple Chevrolet is building across from the Flying J on about 16 acres, moving the dealership from Louisville. Another Mall I highly doubt it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well a guy who comes in to Mojo's has expressed interest in having another shop out at his new mall near the Flying J. I suppose they could have a coffee shop in a car dealer that would be cool. But, are car lots ever referred to as "malls"?
15-17, 26, 32
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

MTO wrote:But, are car lots ever referred to as "malls"?
Scarily, yes.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

flyOMA wrote:Have any of you ever been to the Williamsburg, IA outlet mall (outside of Iowa City)? That place is bland as well, but is always packed. However, the selection and variety of stores they have crushes what NE Crossing has. Last time I was there, quite a few empty stores were present...
-Obviously. Our BEST store at Nebraska Crossing is junk compared to their worst store. Get a Nike, Gap, Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, etc. outlet store and you will see the mall explode. Stick with Mikasa and watch it stagnate
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

I lived in Cedar Rapids for a year and traveled back to Omaha most weekends. That mall on I-80 is fantastic and truly always is packed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote: I suppose they could have a coffee shop in a car dealer that would be cool. But, are car lots ever referred to as "malls"?
A Starbucks right by the car dealership..

Imagine that :P ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well they have put starbux across the street from starbux so I guess it wouldn't surprise me. And now that I thought about it I do remember hearing car dealers refereed to as auto malls but. In general I would imagine a person would say dealership or car lot and not just as mall.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Allen wrote:Maybe what you heard is that Copple Chevrolet is building across from the Flying J on about 16 acres, moving the dealership from Louisville. Another Mall I highly doubt it.
So how much legs does this stand on? Is there a time line if there is a posibility of this happening?
Allen

Post by Allen »

The plans have been completed and approved by GM, theyare inthe process of changing some civil items, should be out to bid by mid June and start construction later June.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Maybe trying to steel some thunder from Woodhouse perhaps?
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
Allen wrote:Maybe what you heard is that Copple Chevrolet is building across from the Flying J on about 16 acres, moving the dealership from Louisville.  Another Mall I highly doubt it.
So how much legs does this stand on?  Is there a time line if there is a possibility of this happening?
Looks like the Copple thing is one step closer to reality.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2359394
Gretna's chances of luring a new car dealership to its southern entryway improved Tuesday.

Sarpy County Board members initially deadlocked on whether to authorize a road improvement project necessary for Copple Chevrolet to relocate from Louisville to the Nebraska Highway 31 interchange along Interstate 80.

But some members changed their minds, and the board voted 4-0 in favor after a contingent of Gretna community and business leaders, led by Gretna Mayor Tim Gilligan, pleaded for approval.

Board member Joni Jones, who works for a different car dealership, abstained from voting.

Gilligan, his voice booming in the courthouse boardroom, called upon the board to bring economic development to his corner of the county.

"I'm trying to control my Irish," said Gilligan, clearly agitated by the board's reluctance.

He told board members that Gretna residents have contributed through their taxes to projects at the eastern end of the county and that it's time that the western end got some help.

"We're not minions to everybody else in the county," Gilligan said.

Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

They would have to get some infrastructure in place to make this feasible, which is fairly costly. Especially a self-contained waste-water solution like they have at the Nebraska Crossing.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

flyOMA wrote:Have any of you ever been to the Williamsburg, IA outlet mall (outside of Iowa City)?  That place is bland as well, but is always packed.  However, the selection and variety of stores they have crushes what NE Crossing has.  Last time I was there, quite a few empty stores were present...

I formerly resided in Iowa City and believe the Williamsburg outlet is busier because its in more of a remote location that gets a good deal of business from surrounding small towns that do not have a larger metro very close by.

Nebraska Crossing- put something different and interesting out there and people from Omaha might actually drive out there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebport5 wrote:
flyOMA wrote:Have any of you ever been to the Williamsburg, IA outlet mall (outside of Iowa City)?  That place is bland as well, but is always packed.  However, the selection and variety of stores they have crushes what NE Crossing has.  Last time I was there, quite a few empty stores were present...

I formerly resided in Iowa City and believe the Williamsburg outlet is busier because its in more of a remote location that gets a good deal of business from surrounding small towns that do not have a larger metro very close by.

Nebraska Crossing- put something different and interesting out there and people from Omaha might actually drive out there.
I lived in Cedar Rapids for 10 years and was at the Williansburg mall MANY times.  My observation always has been that the mix of cars in the lot were from Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Des Monies.  With the county names on the plate this is easy to tell.  There is always a good mix of out of state cars passing through that stop.  I believe that the small surrounding towns are only a small part of the malls success.  It is the mix and amount of stores that allow it to draw.  And a management company that knows what they are doing.  

At one point when I was living out that way the Subway sandwich shop was being promoted as being the busiest Subway in the world for week to week sales.

Post by Guest »

IKEA would be cool... :D

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:IKEA would be cool... :D
I would give my left....

Not going to happen though.  If Kansas City and St. Louis don't have IKEA, Omaha isn't even on their 100 year forecast model.   :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As good of thread as any:

The New John Deere location near Gretna across the Hwy from Flying J is set to open on Monday.  This is near where Copple had planed on building.  One of the last times I was at Copple for some service they said that they still owned the land but for obvious reasons there was now no time table for building.

As for the Outlet mall, the Gretna Used car dealer, Dove Auto, has taken over a part of the lot and has about 80 or so cars out there and they have an office in one of the store fronts now.  Not far down from the motorcycles.  Not exactly what this mall needs but at least there are cars in the parking lot now.

From the OWH
http://www.omaha.com/article/20091216/MONEY/712169967

Opening a second farm implement and lawn equipment dealership in the midst of a recession might not seem like the best idea in the world.

But Russ and Michelle Stigge of Omaha, owners of Bennington Equipment, believe it is the right time and the location near the Gretna exit off Interstate 80 is the right place.
Van Voorhis said Bennington Equipment's store in Elkhorn and the Gretna store will offer everything from lawn trimmers to push and riding lawn mowers to large combines. The Gretna store, however, will emphasize lawn equipment and smaller agriculture machinery, while the Elkhorn store's focus will be large farm implements, he said.

Didn't know that Plattsmouth was loosing their dealership.  That is not good for them,
Moline, Ill.-based Deere & Co. wanted another store in the Omaha area because an Iowa dealer bought the John Deere dealership in Plattsmouth and is in the process of moving it to Glenwood, Iowa, Van Voorhis said.

Deere & Co., which also makes construction and forestry equipment, has struggled along with many manufacturers, posting a loss in its fourth quarter ended in October and lower profits for the full year. The company laid off hundreds of people in 2009, and it expects equipment sales to be down about 1 percent for fiscal 2010.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!