IKEA in Omaha???

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:WOW? Why would it repost hours later?
You are probably posting from your cell phone on those.  If you exit out of the browser and then later get back in and it does the auto refresh, it will repost.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Not Omaha but for those of you who want one close

IKEA to announce plans for Kansas City area store

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/IKE ... 4GVZw.cspx

Post by Guest »

the1wags wrote:I'm thinking this is pretty pie in the sky. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Omaha would be the smallest metro area in the IKEA US lineup, and by a pretty sizeable margin. I don't think its gonna happen.
From the OWH Article on the IKEA opening in KC.
For new stores, Roth said, IKEA looks for metropolitan areas of at least 2 million people. The Swedish retailer had sales of $3.7 billion in the U.S. in 2011, he said.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

So, Omahans ARE getting an ikea.  Just three hours south of downtown.  KC's gain is our gain, too.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/27/38 ... store.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Plus people will have to rely on their vehicles to get to the IKEA, further destroying society.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Re: IKEA in Omaha???

Post by Guest »

I've also heard that Ikea was thinking of coming to Omaha!!!!  I would be so extaticly :  :lol:  :yes: happy to see it come here!!!!!  we have shopped at the on in AZ. we fell in love with the place...Come on IKEA!!!   Move in!!!!! :D
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:I've also heard that Ikea was thinking of coming to Omaha!!!!  I would be so extaticly :  :lol:  :yes: happy to see it come here!!!!!  we have shopped at the on in AZ. we fell in love with the place...Come on IKEA!!!   Move in!!!!! :D
It will never happen.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anonymous wrote:I've also heard that Ikea was thinking of coming to Omaha!!!!  I would be so extaticly :  :lol:  :yes: happy to see it come here!!!!!  we have shopped at the on in AZ. we fell in love with the place...Come on IKEA!!!   Move in!!!!! :D
OMG!! YAY!! Nothing says "I'm a brainwashed American consumer slave" like cheesing up your pants about some lousy retail store which sells shitty, cheap, chinese-made household decor and furnature.

Good lord, people...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't care if you LOVE Ikea or you HATE Ikea...

Get one line and reasearch the MSA of all the Ikea locations VS the MSA of Omaha...

Not going to happen!

Post by Guest »

S33 wrote:
OMG!! YAY!! Nothing says "I'm a brainwashed American consumer slave" like cheesing up your pants about some lousy retail store which sells |expletive|, cheap, chinese-made household decor and furnature.

Good lord, people...
Wow. You are a bundle of fun.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.....M.....G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

S33 wrote:OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.....M.....G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We should organize a field trip to the one in KC when it opens.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

jessep28 wrote:
S33 wrote:OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.....M.....G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got dibs on back of the bus.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:

Lots of things I will road trip to KC for... this one doesn't come close to the top 100.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We just returned from a trip to Germany.  One of the wonderful old hotels we stayed at had been recently renovated, and all of the rooms had been redone with ikea furniture.  I wouldn't do my house in it but it was stylish enough.

Post by Guest »

The general view is that an IKEA store is not much more than flat packed do it yourself furniture and "Billy" shelves. It's a lot more than that. Visiting an IKEA is something you should do at least once... whether or not you buy anything is not the point. That being said, they have a pretty sweet kitchen department. The meatball lunch is scrumptious (the horsemeat scandal was only a one time deal in Europe) and the lingonberry juice is a treat. Stop off in the Swedish/European grocery section by the checkouts for the real deal in Scandinavian food at pretty decent prices.

I've been to a real one in Sweden along with the one in Denver. The main differences are that there's slightly more English signage in the Denver store and significantly fewer blondes.

:P
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Did it happen yet?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:57 am Did it happen yet?
That’s a nope.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I'm not sure why people are so fascinated by IKEA. Their stores are usually a big blue box.....kind of an eye sore. I know I wouldn't one of those located near me. The stuff they sell in their stores is nothing but cheap junk that will end up in a landfill in just a few years. The Swedish meatballs are pretty good though. I find it interesting how they herd you through the entire store. Imagine if Target or Walmart made you walk up and down every single aisle in the store before you got to the check out.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

OmahaOmaha wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 am I'm not sure why people are so fascinated by IKEA. Their stores are usually a big blue box.....kind of an eye sore. I know I wouldn't one of those located near me. The stuff they sell in their stores is nothing but cheap junk that will end up in a landfill in just a few years. The Swedish meatballs are pretty good though. I find it interesting how they herd you through the entire store. Imagine if Target or Walmart made you walk up and down every single aisle in the store before you got to the check out.
We've had some of their stuff for over 10 years. Yeah, you do have to try out the stuff before you buy it but unless you are unusually rough on furnishings you should be ok. Their accessories for the kitchen, bedroom, etc. are pretty reliable & yes, priced cheaply.

As to having to wind your way through the whole store there are a couple of shortcuts and they are pointed out on the map. In addition, the IKEA cops aren't going to bust you for not behaving like a lemming. You actually can go against the flow.

But yeah, this isn't high end stuff. And you do have to assemble lots of their things yourself or you can pay someone to do it. They have a list of independent contractors to do that. We bought a futon & it really did take only about 15 minutes to put it together. Not one printed word in the directions.
kaz81884

Post by kaz81884 »

Somebody needs to come in and compete against NFM I am sickof that place. Overpriced and poor selection especially in specific electronics. I lived in Seattle and went to Ikea all the time great store especially for those who heed afordable furnature and home goods.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

kaz81884 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:43 am Somebody needs to come in and compete against NFM I am sickof that place. Overpriced and poor selection especially in specific electronics. I lived in Seattle and went to Ikea all the time great store especially for those who heed afordable furnature and home goods.
NFM has terrible options for modern and contemporary design.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

kaz81884 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:43 am Somebody needs to come in and compete against NFM I am sickof that place. Overpriced and poor selection especially in specific electronics. I lived in Seattle and went to Ikea all the time great store especially for those who heed afordable furnature and home goods.
i don't think i've ever heard anyone say NFM is overpriced. They are on par, or cheaper than anywhere else on comparable goods, i think. They are certainly cheaper on appliances than home depot/menards/lowes, and about the same as walmart with electronics (no one is lower than walmart). They have a lot of uniquely SKU'd furniture items they sell, so comparing apples to apples is more difficult.
Go Cubs Go
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Don’t really think Omaha will get a IKEA anytime soon if ever. Maybe some sort of smaller IKEA store someday wouldn’t rule that out. But not holding my breath. I guess be happy we have one nearby in KC.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 am
i don't think i've ever heard anyone say NFM is overpriced. They are on par, or cheaper than anywhere else on comparable goods, i think. They are certainly cheaper on appliances than home depot/menards/lowes, and about the same as walmart with electronics (no one is lower than walmart). They have a lot of uniquely SKU'd furniture items they sell, so comparing apples to apples is more difficult.
The last three times I have bought appliances or worked with the family to buy them since I have a truck and will also be the one to set it up, Lowes has been the lowest price on the exact same appliance. One refrigerator, one washer/dryer pair, and one over-the-range microwave. Didn't use to be the case. Pays to shop around.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:37 am
The last three times I have bought appliances or worked with the family to buy them since I have a truck and will also be the one to set it up, Lowes has been the lowest price on the exact same appliance. One refrigerator, one washer/dryer pair, and one over-the-range microwave. Didn't use to be the case. Pays to shop around.
dang, didn't realize that. do i feel sheepish...i just got a dishwasher from NFM not long ago and didn't even bother lookin around. I guess their rep precedes themselves
Go Cubs Go
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

thenewguy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:57 am
dang, didn't realize that. do i feel sheepish...i just got a dishwasher from NFM not long ago and didn't even bother lookin around. I guess their rep precedes themselves
NFM does price match as well, so if you find the same model at Lowes or Best Buy, show them the price to match.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Louie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 am
NFM has terrible options for modern and contemporary design.
100% agree.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ita wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am
thenewguy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:57 am
NFM does price match as well, so if you find the same model at Lowes or Best Buy, show them the price to match.
Sure, they will price match, but I typically live by the thought that for a place like NFM, give me the best price you can. If some can beat you I will go their to give them my business.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I forgot where I heard it and if it’s true but IKEAs can only be built in metros with at least 1 million people. They may be beginning to plan a location since the metro is getting close to that mark. I really hope they build it, the furniture may be built cheaper but it’s a fun experience getting lost in them. I’d go to IKEA any day over NFM with their furniture from the 90s and early 2000s.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Omaha (with Lincoln) is not nearly big enough to draw an Ikea retail store. Best we would see is a planning studio/order point like similarly sized Albuquerque and larger Nashville has. Consider neither OKC/Tulsa have an Ikea either.. and a massive metro like Phoenix has only a single store.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Stargazer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:46 am Omaha (with Lincoln) is not nearly big enough to draw an Ikea retail store. Best we would see is a planning studio/order point like similarly sized Albuquerque and larger Nashville has. Consider neither OKC/Tulsa have an Ikea either.. and a massive metro like Phoenix has only a single store.

The DC metro also does not have an IKEA retail store (though the CSA does in Baltimore), but has several Plan & Order stores and a few delivery stores.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Doctor Fate wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:36 am
Stargazer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:46 am Omaha (with Lincoln) is not nearly big enough to draw an Ikea retail store. Best we would see is a planning studio/order point like similarly sized Albuquerque and larger Nashville has. Consider neither OKC/Tulsa have an Ikea either.. and a massive metro like Phoenix has only a single store.
The DC metro also does not have an IKEA retail store (though the CSA does in Baltimore), but has several Plan & Order stores and a few delivery stores.
When my son moved to DC in 2017, we got some furniture at an Ikea just outside the beltway on the northeast side of the metro.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

zippy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:26 am
When my son moved to DC in 2017, we got some furniture at an Ikea just outside the beltway on the northeast side of the metro.
You're right, I thought College Park one was just a delivery and pickup location and not a full store.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Doctor Fate wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:52 am
You're right, I thought College Park one was just a delivery and pickup location and not a full store.
It looks like there's a full store in Woodbridge at the Potomac Mills Mall as well.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:54 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:52 am
It looks like there's a full store in Woodbridge at the Potomac Mills Mall as well.
Wow, totally missed that one too.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:30 am I forgot where I heard it and if it’s true but IKEAs can only be built in metros with at least 1 million people. They may be beginning to plan a location since the metro is getting close to that mark. I really hope they build it, the furniture may be built cheaper but it’s a fun experience getting lost in them. I’d go to IKEA any day over NFM with their furniture from the 90s and early 2000s.
I definitely see the appeal of an Ikea and hope we land one. Lots of people would benefit from it and it would serve this area well.

I'm more of a NFM furniture style myself.