IKEA in Omaha???

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

My thing is that the Mart has killed pretty much any competition, or scared it to death.  Dillards doesnt carry furniture because of the Mart.

Is that a good thing?  Well, prices are pretty low.  On the other hand, if you don't have a choice of where to shop, you also have to buy what they sell.  Don't like the brands they carry?  Too bad.  Dont like the choices the Mart offers?  Too bad.

Where I live there are many choices and they all compete with each other.  Macys, Hawthorne, ABC Warehouse, IKEA, and lots of others, all wanting my business.  When I lived in Omaha I thought it was pretty cool that the Mart had a 100,000 sqft electronics department and 100s of recliners.  Now with the experience of not having the Mart its been a real eye opener.  For one thing, I don't have to navigate a million square foot store just to buy one thing.  

There are pluses and minuses but having no competition can have the effect of making one lazy.

Thats just my opinion...
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'd rather buy local, too. However, don't kid yourself. The Mart isn't really any more local than any other big box that imports their stuff from all over the place.

Come on, you know better.  Of course the furniture isn't made all right here, but it is a local company, something IKEA will never be.  More money spent at the Mart stays in Omaha than Switzerland or where ever the heck.

Novak, Not all Dillard's carry furniture and when they do its not a tremendous selection at that.  How much furniture does Macy's actually carry?  Yeah, I lived in Chicago with IKEA, Macy's and etc. and I get your point about competition, but I can't say I miss any of those stores.

I have to wonder if NFM's selection and quality are so bad, then it would seem their competition should be able to enter and stay in this market.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nebport5 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'd rather buy local, too. However, don't kid yourself. The Mart isn't really any more local than any other big box that imports their stuff from all over the place.

Come on, you know better.  Of course the furniture isn't made all right here, but it is a local company, something IKEA will never be.  More money spent at the Mart stays in Omaha than Switzerland or where ever the heck.
Do I? I guess we should have defined terms. You're thinking economically, and I'm thinking environmentally.

Other than the CEOs at the top of the pyramid, what is the difference in economic impact of an "NFM" vs. an IKEA (or the like) in Omaha? Both employ locals. Both generate local sales tax. Both bring people from elsewhere to the city to shop.

So my question stands. How is the Mart really any more local than any other big box that decimates competition?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

There seems to b a void in furniture offerings in Omaha that NFM isn't currently filling. That is in Modern-looking furniture design. It was once filled by Elan. I'd welcome Ikea and Room & Board to the mix. Ikea for the more budget-minded mix, and R&B for the high quality stuff.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

Do I? I guess we should have defined terms. You're thinking economically, and I'm thinking environmentally.

Other than the CEOs at the top of the pyramid, what is the difference in economic impact of an "NFM" vs. an IKEA (or the like) in Omaha? Both employ locals. Both generate local sales tax. Both bring people from elsewhere to the city to shop.

So my question stands. How is the Mart really any more local than any other big box that decimates competition?
I'll answer that easily.  Without the Mart there would be no Rose theater.  Period.  The Blumkins donate a mountain of cash to charity.  A lot of it they do quietly.  That much is true about a local store.  On that side I appreciate the Mart.

On the other hand, there IS a big void in furniture, appliances and electronic stores in Omaha.  Why hasn't someone come in to try to fill the void?  Warren Buffet gave the best answer.  "I'd rather wrestle aligators than compete with the Mart"  That doesn't mean another store won't sell in Omaha.  What it means is that the Mart is a fierce competitor.  Mrs. B said that she loved putting someone out of business.  The Mart pays cash for inventory and doesn't borrow money.  NO ONE else on the planet works that way.  

Is that why IKEA, Crate & Barrel, etc. aren't in Omaha?  I don't know.  What I do know is that in other, larger cities there is more selection and variety.  I didn't appreciate that until I moved.

P.S.  Check out the Mart store in KC.  Almost exactly the same square footage as the Omaha store.  All in one building, much nicer layout, easier to check out.  Why don't they do that in Omaha?  They don't have to.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Good point Novak.  And I'd say NFM has a more positive impact on our local economy than Target or Best Buy, which though much larger companies are conceptually beneficial to Minneapolis.  Also NFM does utilize some local suppliers such as Omaha Bedding, which has annual revenues between 20-50 million.  Of course there's the Berkshire connection to NFM as well.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

nebport5 wrote:I have to wonder if NFM's selection and quality are so bad, then it would seem their competition should be able to enter and stay in this market.
Exactly.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Novak, pointing out that the Blumkins are good corporate citizens hardly answers the question.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Novak, pointing out that the Blumkins are good corporate citizens hardly answers the question.
Then rephrase the question.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Can we move this forum thread to the 'Projects Never Built' section?

It deserves a place alongside the tornado tower.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote:Can we move this forum thread to the 'Projects Never Built' section?

It deserves a place alongside the tornado tower.

or how about moving it to a new section called "Wishful Thinking Projects Never Built"

The Tornado Tower could get it's own section, "Projects Never Built (Thank God!)"
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I think there should be three sub-forums in the "Rumors" category: New Rumors, Confirmed Rumors, and Dis-proven Rumors.  That way we can keep score (and maybe even start some betting pools!)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Maybe bat |expletive| crazy rumors could be another category.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:I think there should be three sub-forums in the "Rumors" category: New Rumors, Confirmed Rumors, and Dis-proven Rumors.  That way we can keep score (and maybe even start some betting pools!)
Confirmed get moved to the appropriate section.  Its not like we have that many rumors.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:
Seth wrote:I think there should be three sub-forums in the "Rumors" category: New Rumors, Confirmed Rumors, and Dis-proven Rumors.  That way we can keep score (and maybe even start some betting pools!)
Confirmed get moved to the appropriate section.  Its not like we have that many rumors.
I know.  I just like to kid around.

Post by Guest »

rumor has it that the Rumors section will be moved to Unconfirmed Rumors.  But that's all i've heard on it.  just a rumor...
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

The Rumor Forum PM'd me to verify it will stay put - for now.
Baecere75
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Baecere75 »

flyOMA wrote: That is the one hang up with Omaha's furniture stores, they have nothing but the status quo.  If you want to get affordable contemporary furniture, you need to shop outside the Omaha market.  Elan has nice stuff, but they are so outrageously priced it's not even worth looking at (with no competition, I suppose they can do that).

I think you have great views. I really go to Omaha market ever since. I haven't tried at Elan's and I also believe that they really offer unreasonable prices for their items which is too bad.
Last edited by Baecere75 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

So Nebraska furniture mart is a status quo furniture store? Now that is a first.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No, their furniture is.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Denver's Ikea is opening on Wednesday. There's 50 or 60 people in line already. What the heck? Ill go check it out, but I'm in no kind of hurry.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Denver's Ikea is opening on Wednesday. There's 50 or 60 people in line already. What the heck? Ill go check it out, but I'm in no kind of hurry.
Two days early!  Its not that cool...  

There is a couple in Omaha that made a business out of diving to Ikea once a month and picking up orders for people.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I hear ya, I don't get it. They talked to the guy in front of the line on the radio, he's been there since Saturday. REALLY? Waiting 4 days to be first in the store. :s
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There is an IKEA here and we've been there twice.  Once when we first moved here just to check it out & another time a few months later.  That time we left with 12 cereal bowls that cost a total of $3.  The food is pretty good & free breakfast on Saturday so there you go.

Is it a big deal?  Ok, so if your city gets one you get to say you have one, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah.  Other than that, you've gotten along so far without one and the earth kept spinning on its axis.....
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was in one in Tampa last December when visiting my daughter. I thought it was ok but nothing I would stand in line for.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Good stuff for the budget minded college student looking to furnish their dorm room/apartment.  There isn't one coming to Omaha.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

We in Chicago have two!

They do have some really cool looking stuff and I intend on refurnishing my bedroom either party or fully with IKEA furniture. But it becomes pretty obvious from inspecting some of the floor models that you get what you pay for. Quite a few of them were full of dents and scratches.

At the end of the day I don't feel like it's too much better than NFM. IKEA just has more display areas that look like rooms in a house.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

NFM sells junk.  IKEA sells junk with better packaging.  And for less.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

I've been to the IKEA in The Twin Cities many times, while visiting our kids.  Basically WalMart with a Nordic twist.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DeWalt wrote:I've been to the IKEA in The Twin Cities many times, while visiting our kids.  Basically WalMart with a Nordic twist.
While the quality of the product may be similar to furniture sold at walmart, I would not say they are anything alike.  Completely different set up.

Post by Guest »

I was just told by someone in the know that Ikea reps recently looked at a site near the proposed outlets in by Cabelas in La Vista.

Post by Guest »

Yet another rumor that will go nowhere.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hey, that's why there's a rumors section! Plus at least this one isn't 300 acre unicorns relocated from Fortune 500ville
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm thinking this is pretty pie in the sky. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Omaha would be the smallest metro area in the IKEA US lineup, and by a pretty sizeable margin. I don't think its gonna happen.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

the1wags wrote:I'm thinking this is pretty pie in the sky. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Omaha would be the smallest metro area in the IKEA US lineup, and by a pretty sizeable margin. I don't think its gonna happen.
Current locations:

Arizona
Tempe

California
Burbank
Carson
Covina
East Palo Alto
Emeryville
Orange County Costa Mesa
San Diego
West Sacramento

Colorado
Centennial

Connecticut
New Haven

Florida
Orlando
Sunrise
Tampa

Georgia
Atlanta

Illinois
Bolingbrook
Schaumburg

Maryland
Baltimore
College Park

Massachusetts
Stoughton

Michigan
Canton

Minnesota
Twin Cities

New Jersey
Elizabeth
Paramus

New York
Brooklyn
Long Island

North Carolina
Charlotte

Ohio
West Chester

Oregon
Portland

Pennsylvania
Conshohocken
Pittsburgh
South Philadelphia

Texas
Dallas
Houston
Round Rock

Utah
Draper

Virginia
Woodbridge

Washington
Seattle

Post by Guest »

Are you posting that just to show where they are or are you reading some of those city names and thinking that they are smaller cities independend from much lager metros? For example, the Colorado store is listed as Centennial, but that is just a suburb of Denver.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Ooops, that was me, forgot to log on.

Just for kicks, lets look at some of that list.

Omaha's MSA is 865,350 (2010 Census)

Tempe (Phoenix) MSA 4,192,887 (Census 2010)

Burbank, Carson, Covina, and Orange CO are all part of the LA area.

East Palo Alto and Emeryville are part of the Bay Area.

San Diego MSA 3,095,313

Even Sacramento's MSA is 2,149,127

I'm not going to dig through all of them but, the likely closest in size MSA with an IKEA is Salt Lake at 1,124,197 (2010)

I'm not trying to kick Omaha in the balls or say that it's impossible, but I will say that it is highly unlikely at this time.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

the1wags wrote:Ooops, that was me, forgot to log on.

Just for kicks, lets look at some of that list.

Omaha's MSA is 865,350 (2010 Census)

Tempe (Phoenix) MSA 4,192,887 (Census 2010)

Burbank, Carson, Covina, and Orange CO are all part of the LA area.

East Palo Alto and Emeryville are part of the Bay Area.

San Diego MSA 3,095,313

Even Sacramento's MSA is 2,149,127

I'm not going to dig through all of them but, the likely closest in size MSA with an IKEA is Salt Lake at 1,124,197 (2010)

I'm not trying to kick Omaha in the balls or say that it's impossible, but I will say that it is highly unlikely at this time.

I was posting mainly to show they are suburbs or very close to large cities.. I dont see why one would come to Omaha

Post by Guest »

Are you posting that just to show where they are or are you reading some of those city names and thinking that they are smaller cities independend from much lager metros? For example, the Colorado store is listed as Centennial, but that is just a suburb of Denver.

Post by Guest »

WOW? Why would it repost hours later?