Steak&Shake To Enter Nebraska

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

So is Steak and Shake dead then?

Post by Guest »

this sucks if we are not getting a steak and shake

Re: Steak and Shake

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:Trenton said on Grow Omaha that hear heard a Rumor Steak and Shake my build in the old Taco Bueno on 171th and Center.
Why can't they bring a Steak and Shake to Omaha.  It would be a very busy place.  Even Papillion, Ralston or CB, IA would be great.  Company think about company here to Omaha.  PLEASE...................................
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Forget Steak and Shake.  I'm jumping on the 5 Napkin Burger train.  Nothing else will do.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

almighty_tuna wrote:Forget Steak and Shake.  I'm jumping on the 5 Napkin Burger train.  Nothing else will do.
Jams.  Simple as that.

Steak N Shake isn't Jams or 5 Napkin.  Apples & Oranges.  

Aside from that I do like Steak N Shake.  Good food, reasonable prices, lots of locations near me.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Steak & Shake

Post by mgmlot93 »

Looks like the Steak & Shake project is back on for Omaha - with the location still out on Center.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Steak & Shake

Post by nebugeater »

mgmlot93 wrote:Looks like the Steak & Shake project is back on for Omaha - with the location still out on Center.

Any detail on how you know this?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

west of 168th corridor perhaps?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Really, another chain?

How long, oh Lord, must my people suffer with plastic food?  

My job in highschool was in an upscale chain.   The food was cookie cutter at best.   Making chocolate musse was by pouring a bag of mix into a bowl and adding half and half.   Industrial blender, then musse.  (sorry for the spelling errors.)

Just can't take these |expletive| shack franchise places.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed wrote:Really, another chain?

Steak And Shake is not bad for a chain, but yes, it is a chain and in my not so humble opinion we have enough of them!

Whatever happened to the great independent locally-owned drive-ins?
{sigh!} I just don't understand why people in Omaha go all gaga when yet another chain invades the area! One of life's great unsolved mysteries.

Now, playing devil's advocate perhaps, if I were starting a restaurant as an investment (risky! I know!) I would probably go with a chain, yes, if my goal was ROI. Less risk, and yes, chains are popular and rake in the $$$$$!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omababe wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Really, another chain?

Steak And Shake is not bad for a chain, but yes, it is a chain and in my not so humble opinion we have enough of them!

Whatever happened to the great independent locally-owned drive-ins?
{sigh!} I just don't understand why people in Omaha go all gaga when yet another chain invades the area! One of life's great unsolved mysteries.

Now, playing devil's advocate perhaps, if I were starting a restaurant as an investment (risky! I know!) I would probably go with a chain, yes, if my goal was ROI. Less risk, and yes, chains are popular and rake in the $$$$$!
In some cases, yes, signing on with a chain can be less risky.  On the other hand, if the franchisee isn't competent then it really doesnt matter what the name is on the door.  The gentleman who bought the McDonalds franchise for Omaha was an accountant in Chicago.  Sure it was McDonalds but he was very active in the Omaha community and donated millions locally.  He also gave hundreds if not thousands of kids their first job.  

I like Steak n Shake and they do two things well.  The food isnt junk & the prices are reasonable.  Their burgers are good, their shakes are great, and the stores are clean.  I'd still go to Jams or Louie M's tho.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Was near the old Taco Bueno location tonight and it looks like something is starting in there.  Went and drove around the parking lot and on one side of the building here is a shipping container sitting and on the other there is what is probably a 40 yard dumpster. A bunch of stuff has been removed fairly recently it looks like. The dumpster had stuff in it.  There is also no for sale or lease signs up and although I am not sure I believe they have been there fairly recently.

Has anyone been over that way seen any activity during the day?   Or has anyone heard any new news on what might be going here.

Post by Guest »

Its mcarch:  cant log in, at work =)

I went to a Steak & Shake in Osage Beach, MO.  I thought it was great.  The burger was fantastic, the shake was out of this world.  If they are coming into Omaha, I cannot wait!
jwingnut1
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jwingnut1 »

I am hopeful!  I live out by 180th & F Streets.  I stopped at the Runza near 175th & Center, and noticed that there is an ongoing renovation of former Taco Bueno.  There's a contractor's truck, an electrician's van, and a partial red paint job where the drive-thru was.  It's a stripe of red, not the whole side.  So I am hopeful that it is the long-awaited Steak 'N Shake.

I just put these pics up on Facebook.  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Stea ... 8895080136
Last edited by jwingnut1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

jwingnut1 wrote:I am hopeful!  I live out by 180th & F Streets.  I stopped at the Runza near 175th & Center, and noticed that there is an ongoing renovation of former Taco Bueno.  There's a contractor's truck, an electrician's van, and a partial red paint job where the drive-thru was.  It's a stripe of red, not the whole side.  So I am hopeful that it is the long-awaited Steak 'N Shake.
Nope, it's a KFC.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It is KFC

jwingnut1 wrote:I am hopeful!  I live out by 180th & F Streets.  I stopped at the Runza near 175th & Center, and noticed that there is an ongoing renovation of former Taco Bueno.  There's a contractor's truck, an electrician's van, and a partial red paint job where the drive-thru was.  It's a stripe of red, not the whole side.  So I am hopeful that it is the long-awaited Steak 'N Shake.
jwingnut1
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jwingnut1 »

Damn.  We don't need another KFC.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Believe me, if a chain were to announce that it's entering the Omaha market, it would have been front page news.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Steak n Shake is my fav restaurant, so if they come to Omaha, I wont have to wait for my KCMO & Chicago trips to eat Steak n Shake every day.  BTW, KFC sucks!  I went to the one on 132nd Center the other night, and their food, service, and overall cleanliness was 0 out of 5 stars.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Yep, love me some Steak n Shake. Tried to go to the Coralville, IA location when we stopped for lunch on the drive to Chicago last weekend, but it was PACKED.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

SabrinaFaire wrote:Yep, love me some Steak n Shake. Tried to go to the Coralville, IA location when we stopped for lunch on the drive to Chicago last weekend, but it was PACKED.
I wasnt aware of that location.  Ill have to start stopping there on my way to Chicago for a big snack.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Silverspoon wrote:
SabrinaFaire wrote:Yep, love me some Steak n Shake. Tried to go to the Coralville, IA location when we stopped for lunch on the drive to Chicago last weekend, but it was PACKED.
I wasnt aware of that location.  Ill have to start stopping there on my way to Chicago for a big snack.
It's very easy to miss. It's the very first Coralville exit to get to their big mall. Except you turn left to go under the interstate and then left again, it's right by McDonald's. Exit 240. I've sometimes missed the exit when I was looking for it.