Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Twilight
New to the Neighborhood

Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Post by Twilight »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so perhaps you'll move it, but does anyone have any info about the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse that's s'posed to be going in downtown? Like, when it will happen (their website had no info)? Thanx!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IS this new news or have I totally missed this announcement? This is a great place, been there at a few other places. IT would be a good addition to downtown.

I know Ruth's Chris has been mentioned here before but I do not remember it in the context of coming to Omaha and I didn't find anything that referred t o that in a search.

By the way, any news on the Chop House ( I think that is the name) that was coming into DT.?
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

Never been there. Doubt that my budget could handle it. I hear it is good but it is the most awful name for a business I can imagine. The alliterative flow isn't happening.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've eaten at a Ruth's Chris in Atlanta..And it is very much like Flemmings Steakhouse in Regency..Everything a la carte and high end on the price scale..Excellent food though..Just be ready to spend triple digits+ when your bill arrives

IF Omaha were to land a Ruth's Chris, that would be yet another great 'get'..

I'll move this one into the Rumors section for further discussion....

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I couldn't find anything about Ruth's Chris opening - but it appears they are coming:
St. Louis Bizjournal wrote:Larry Griggers is a partner in Missouri-based Bacchus LLC, and his franchisee group acquired the St. Louis territory and chose Clayton in which to open the first of two Ruth's Chris Steakhouses.

"We did our demographic research and decided that Clayton will be our first choice," said Griggers. His group invested $4 million in this project, owns two Ruth's Chris restaurants in Indianapolis and is looking to acquire the territory that includes Omaha, Neb.
16 new restaurants join the Clayton dining scene
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice find Coyote..

Like the Cheesecake Factory, this may take awhile..But it'll be worth the wait..Lets hope this Potential Ruth's Chris becomes a reality..It would most likely be a place I'd only dine at twice a year, but as I stated before, it would be another on a long list of great 'gets' for Omaha

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Nice find Coyote..

Like the Cheesecake Factory, this may take awhile..But it'll be worth the wait..Lets hope this Potential Ruth's Chris becomes a reality..It would most likely be a place I'd only dine at twice a year, but as I stated before, it would be another on a long list of great 'gets' for Omaha

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Omaha Prime will suit me just fine, I'd stay away from Ruth's Chris.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I do like Omaha Prime..But Ruth's Chris also has great steaks..Seasoned (at least to me) in a uniquely different way than some of the local traditional Omaha chop houses..

If Omaha lands one, it's worth a visit or 2..I think you'd like it..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A few weeks ago we went to Johnny's Itilian Steakhouse in VP Their special was a 22oz bone in ribeye aged 21 days. It was so damn good.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:A few weeks ago we went to Johnny's Itilian Steakhouse in VP Their special was a 22oz bone in ribeye aged 21 days. It was so damn good.
I haven't been to Johnny's Italian Steakhouse at VP yet..That ribeye sounds terrific..

.Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
GuyInLenexa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Ruth's Chris did well in KC. KC, like Omaha was a city with many iconic local steak houses, a city famous for its beef. Surprisingly, it did well in The Plaza. I am sure the same for Omaha.

I used to eat at the one in Dallas on Cedar Springs all the time, it was almost in the parking lot of the church I attended there.

Great place. :lol:
Ich Bin Ein Omahan !
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Ruth's Chris is really good (on par with Flemmings or The Palm). However I think Mahogany is a LOT better.

Additionally, if you are in KC, I would recommend the Hereford House before any other steakhouses.
Twilight
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Twilight »

hey w8ing, I totally agree about the name. In fact, that name has bothered me for YEARS! Someone told me that ---the story goes---there was a Chris' Steakhouse that was bought by a woman named Ruth, who changed it to "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse". How dumb is that? It's probably not even true.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wikipedia wrote:In 1965 Ruth Fertel spotted an ad in the New Orleans Times-Picayune regarding a “Steak House for Sale.” She mortgaged her house to purchase Chris Steak House, the little restaurant on the corner of Broad and Ursuline in New Orleans.

In September, 1965, the city of New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Betsy just a few months after Fertel purchased Chris Steak House. The restaurant was left without power, so she cooked everything in the cooler and brought it to her brother in devastated Plaquemines Parish to aid in the relief effort.

In 1976, the thriving restaurant was destroyed in a kitchen fire. Fertel bought a new property a few blocks away on Broad Street and soon opened under a new name, "Ruth’s Chris Steak House", since her original contract with former owner Chris Matulich precluded her from using the name Chris Steak House in a different location.
Ruth Fertel
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Twilight wrote:hey w8ing, I totally agree about the name. In fact, that name has bothered me for YEARS! Someone told me that ---the story goes---there was a Chris' Steakhouse that was bought by a woman named Ruth, who changed it to "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse". How dumb is that? It's probably not even true.
I don't know if it's dumb or not..But It is true..The story from the Ruth's Chris website:

http://www.ruthschris.com/sizzle/ruths_story2.html

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also from Wikipedia:
The chain was founded by Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original establishment burned down, she relocated and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris" (under her purchase agreement, the name Chris Steak House could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name).

Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s. By the time Fertel was legally allowed to take Chris out of the name, the chain (and its unique name) had become famous in many places across the country, and she therefore decided to keep the name.
Ruth's Chris Steak House
jat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jat »

nebugeater...look for the Chop House at the Paxton to be opening in October.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Cryptic Rumor Department has learned that Ruth's Chris may replace Nick and Tony's at the Hilton Garden Inn on 10th st DT..

Keep an eye out for this one..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

I liked Nick and Tony's. The few times I've eaten there.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I heard that Ruth's Chris was looking at Omaha about a year and a half ago and they were rumored to be looking at the Brandeis Building. I'm glad to hear they may still be interested in opening in Omaha.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

These things are always subjective and I have only eaten at a Ruth's Cris Steak House once. It was the Minneapolis location. Maybe it was just a bad night. Maybe I just don't know good food. Maybe I somehow upset off the cook. BUT..... that was the worst piece of meat I have ever eaten, no strike that, tried to eat. I couldn't choke it down.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
rocon

ruth cris

Post by rocon »

trust me--

Ruth Chris' isn't all that.  I live in the D.C. area and there are several stores in the area  (I'm also in the business).  The locals don't go there--it's mostly tourists and people here on
business.  RC's has been cited several times by local health departments for, among other things, rodents.  Omaha has much better home grown places for steak and other types of cusine.  You all should be proud of your restaurants--you have some real gems, and should be supporting them over these lackluster glitzy chains that some of you are so taken with.
I've seen all of the "high end" chain restaurants that you lust after lose their glow after the hype wears off (p.f. changs, Cheesecake factory, et. al.), and let's face it, California Pizza Kitchen has lousy pizza(they're currently closing them here one by one);I'd much rather have a pizza from one of the many great pizza places in Omaha(is La Casa  still around?). The other problem with the chains is their knack for driving good local restaurants out of business. Don't fall for the marketing drivel of these corporate theme restaurants---they mark up their prices and people actually think they're getting their money's worth.  Believe me, you will get a much better meal at Brother Sebastian's or Johnny's than you ever will at RC's, and at one-third the price.

rocon

Post by Guest »

I overheard a west coast visitor, here for the NCAA Tournament, say, "People in Omaha don't realize how good they have it." This was in reference to our restaurants, and especially steak.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Maybe they were really from Ord. :P
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Rocon is right. I try to only eat at locally owned resturants.

In fact, I try to only buy only locally and semi-locally brewed beers and wines (Empyrean Ales, Upstream, Jobber's Canyon...O'Conner's in the Old Market brews some of their own beers, and then things from farther away like New Belgium beers brewed in Colorado). Aside from being better for the environment (transporting liquids is one of the most energy consuming activities) they help enbolden local culture.

We shouldn't be trying to get things other cities have, we should be trying to create things they don't have.

Post by Guest »

I've eaten once at the Ruth's Chris in downtown Denver, and it was really, really good.  Pricey, but good.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaChef wrote:Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
It sure was Tom..See my opening post here:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5228

For the record, I ate at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta and while it was expensive, the food was very good..Not overrated at all IMO..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

OmahaChef wrote:Wasn't this place mentioned as a possible tenant in the Mutual mini-city project?
Yep, when I was showing a Park Plaza units, Tasha mentioned it so they may still be committed to the project.  And it was indeed mentioned when the project was first announced as Cowboy and yourself mentioned.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just heard a Ruth's Chris add on 590am
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
It sure was Tom..See my opening post here:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5228

For the record, I ate at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta and while it was expensive, the food was very good..Not overrated at all IMO..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
It was good.  I still consider Flemmings and Mahogany better though.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I ate at Ruth's Chris in Dallas and it was terrific.  Best steak ever.  Little pricey but well worth it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

EastCB wrote:I ate at Ruth's Chris in Dallas and it was terrific.  Best steak ever.  Little pricey but well worth it.
Ruth's Chris' food is very good.

It is spendy for what you get, but not that much out of line, particularly if somebody else is paying! :)

However, I would much rather see Omaha get a new independent steak house (wildest dreams: a reincarnation of Ross' or Sparetime!) than something you can get anywhere.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

So, anybody have the final verdict on this? I've heard a ton of commercials for them on local radio lately and I'm sure they aren't spending money hoping we all drive to the Plaza.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I hear they were going to Midtown Crossing.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I wouldn't speculate on this any longer, as they would've worked something out on this by now if it was going to happen, and believe me a project like this is actually worse to keep a secret if it became official.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:Someone |expletive| in your breakfast today Erik?
Yes! How did you guess?  :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:
Because you took out your aggression on the rumors section....
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Brad wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Because you took out your aggression on the rumors section....

Brad, I didn't do anything that bad compared to a whole lot of other people here..  All I did was just bring up some of the old rumors and asked what is up with them.