Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I never said you did anything bad, it was just very easy to tell you were upset about something.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Brad wrote:I never said you did anything bad, it was just very easy to tell you were upset about something.

I see, I guess I thought you did cause I get a private message by uffda, who seemed to be hurt by the whole thing.  But, I do apologize if I did display a bit of anger, and I promise to do better by watching it more closely  :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ThatGuy wrote:So, anybody have the final verdict on this? I've heard a ton of commercials for them on local radio lately and I'm sure they aren't spending money hoping we all drive to the Plaza.
I have heard nothing as of today's date. That does not mean it wont become a reality. Remember how long we talked about the Cheesecake Factory 'rumor' before it became a reality? 2 years..

Hopefully we'll hear something about the updated tenant list at Midtown Crossing soon.. Most of their potential restaurant tenants have yet to be announced..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard a Ruths Chris ad last night on 96.1fm "The Brew"(Clear Channel) and then another one today on 590am "The Mighty Big Sports 590" (Journal Broadcast Group).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just heard the one on 590 at 5:00
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Their radio ads have been fairly constant for a couple of months or more now.  In addition to the stations you mentioned I have heard them on 93.3 and KFAB
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And now on 1620 during the All-Star game.
I couldn't tell if it was a national ad or local though.
Planner

Post by Planner »

Ruth Chris Steakhouse is going in the Southport West development near the Embassy Suites / Marriott Courtyard properties.  An announcement will be forthcoming.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Planner wrote:Ruth Chris Steakhouse is going in the Southport West development near the Embassy Suites / Marriott Courtyard properties.  An announcement will be forthcoming.
Thanks,   hope this is accurate.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the tip Planner!

Post by Guest »

Sounds like a nice stop before the ballgame.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:roll:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

If this is true, it's quite a 'get' for the Southport development..

And a great addition to the Omaha restaurant scene..

The closest Ruth's Chris to Omaha currently is KCMO..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Planner wrote:Ruth Chris Steakhouse is going in the Southport West development near the Embassy Suites / Marriott Courtyard properties.  An announcement will be forthcoming.
Not to be a total snot here, but I would much rather see an upscale locally-owned unique steak place instead! That's part of Omaha's history, for those who may have forgotten! You can get Ruths Chris anywhere!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omababe wrote:Not to be a total snot here, but I would much rather see an upscale locally-owned unique steak place instead! That's part of Omaha's history, for those who may have forgotten!
We have those!
Omababe wrote:You can get Ruths Chris anywhere!
Not in Omaha!  :P
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'd rather have a locally owned eatery as well.  I just can't get excited about another chain restaurant.  The things that make Omaha are great are the things that are original to us or started here.  

Greg
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Omababe wrote:Not to be a total snot here, but I would much rather see an upscale locally-owned unique steak place instead! That's part of Omaha's history, for those who may have forgotten!
We have those!
And they're closing faster than gas is rising.
Stable genius.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Greg S wrote:I'd rather have a locally owned eatery as well.  I just can't get excited about another chain restaurant.  The things that make Omaha are great are the things that are original to us or started here.  

Greg
Ruth's Chris is publicly traded, so I suspect there *are* local owners... you could be one if you so desired.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:RUTH
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:I'd rather have a locally owned eatery as well.  I just can't get excited about another chain restaurant.  The things that make Omaha are great are the things that are original to us or started here.  
I really do see the logic of a Ruths Chris out at Southport. Ruths Chris is a known brand which caters to things like business people and convention-goers. Ruths Chris is a very hard invitation to refuse if somebody else is expensing it, and the food is very good.

However (comma) if a local investor/chef/manager would all get together and start a cliche-free upscale steak place -- for some reason the new Johnny's at Village Point-e comes to mind immediately as an example -- it could make a name for itself and be a dining destination, not unlike the Chicago Chop House, Peter Lugers, or even Hereford House.

This could make Southport stand out for dining, reinforced by Summer Kitchen for breakfast and lunch. Make it stand out as something other than yet another Ruths Chris!

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I understand we're all part owners in the oil companies as well... so as we fill up, we're actually putting money in our pockets.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omababe wrote:However (comma) if a local investor/chef/manager would all get together and start a cliche-free upscale steak place -- for some reason the new Johnny's at Village Point-e comes to mind immediately as an example -- it could make a name for itself and be a dining destination, not unlike the Chicago Chop House, Peter Lugers, or even Hereford House.
Although, you do realize, that Johnny's is yet another chain, displacing yet more local eatieries....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

icejammer wrote:Although, you do realize, that Johnny's is yet another chain, displacing yet more local eatieries....
Actually, I was told the time I was out there that the Johnny's out in Village Point-e has no connection to the one in South Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:
icejammer wrote:Although, you do realize, that Johnny's is yet another chain, displacing yet more local eatieries....
Actually, I was told the time I was out there that the Johnny's out in Village Point-e has no connection to the one in South Omaha.
The one in South Omaha is local, the one at village point is a national chain.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Johnny's Italian Steakhouse isn't really national; it's regional based out of Moline, Illinois.

http://www.johnnysitaliansteakhouse.com/locations.aspx
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:The one in South Omaha is local, the one at village point is a national chain.
Oh really?

I admit I kind of assumed a connection with the one in South Omaha, the fonts in their logos look similar. Hmmmm .....
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I hear Miami has some lawyers specializing in logo infringement.

:sarcasm:

edited to add sarcasm to make it painfully obvious.
Last edited by almighty_tuna on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:
Brad wrote:The one in South Omaha is local, the one at village point is a national chain.
Oh really?

I admit I kind of assumed a connection with the one in South Omaha, the fonts in their logos look similar. Hmmmm .....
But one looks like 1920 inside and one looks like 2008 inside...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The Omaha original "Johnny's Cafe" has no fewer than three different fonts for its "logo" on their website.  Good luck defending that in any court.

The chain "Johnny's Italian Steakhouse" has five other locations in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa.  The parents company - Heart of America Restaurants, Inc. (http://www.hoari.com) - manages five other restaurant concepts, along with hotel restaurants throughout the midwest.

Additionally, no "reasonable person" with functioning eyeballs or taste buds could possibly confuse the two.

-Big E
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

I'm sure there are plenty of people, who haven't been down to the Johnny's Cafe in years (dangerous down there, you know), and think that Johnny's at Village Pointe is the new west Omaha location of the local original.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of people, who haven't been down to the Johnny's Cafe in years (dangerous down there, you know), and think that Johnny's at Village Pointe is the new west Omaha location of the local original.
I thought that the one out at Village Point-e WAS a spinoff of the one in South Omaha until I was corrected. They (the waiter) said that they were not connected, but said nothing about it being a chain.

My last impression of Johnny's in South Omaha, maybe 3-5 years ago, is that it slipped in quality from what I remember from the 80s.

The one out at Village Point-e was good, but it was obvious from the menu and the presentation that it wasn't a spinoff of the one featured in About Schmidt. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anonymous wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of people, who haven't been down to the Johnny's Cafe in years (dangerous down there, you know), and think that Johnny's at Village Pointe is the new west Omaha location of the local original.
You're probably right.  Probably more than plenty.  But that's nothing any Miami logo infringement lawyers are going to care about (which is what I was addressing).
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Seems I recalled the last time I ate at Johnny's Italian in Village Point the menu said it was not affiliated with the other Johnny's, which has never claimed to be Italian anything.  The two restaurants are night and day different in just about everything they do.

And 5 restaurants in a 300 mile radius does not a national chain make.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote:Seems I recalled the last time I ate at Johnny's Italian in Village Point the menu said it was not affiliated with the other Johnny's, which has never claimed to be Italian anything.  The two restaurants are night and day different in just about everything they do.

And 5 restaurants in a 300 mile radius does not a national chain make.

OK  Please give me the definition of Chain and National Chain.  I believe when it was first brought up it was just stated that Johnny's at VP was a chain, and I believe it qualifies.  For future reference what is the break point to be national?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:OK  Please give me the definition of Chain and National Chain.  I believe when it was first brought up it was just stated that Johnny's at VP was a chain, and I believe it qualifies.  For future reference what is the break point to be national?
I always thought if they had a cooperate structure they were a chain, if they were in a region, the were a regional chain and if they were in more than one region they were a national chain.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jeff Beals said on the Grow Omaha Radio Program wrote:Ruth's Chris Steakhouse's add on local radio is a "National" buy, which does not mean that thew will or will not build in Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Re: Ruth's Chris steakhouse

Post by Brad »

Jeff and Trenton talked about a Rumored Ruth's Chris at Aksarben.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow, that would be a really good get for Aksarben Village. I would assume the only logical spot right now would be the corner bay of the Gordman's building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Wow, that would be a really good get for Aksarben Village.  I would assume the only logical spot right now would be the corner bay of the Gordman's building.
Or maybe in the other new buildings that should be under construction soon. (Pacific Life and Waitt)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Wow, that would be a really good get for Aksarben Village.  I would assume the only logical spot right now would be the corner bay of the Gordman's building.
Or maybe in the other new buildings that should be under construction soon. (Pacific Life and Waitt)
Haha, obviously now those are in play! I just figured restaurants generally have a shorter time frame on their projects than office tenants. If they wait for Pac Life or Waitt they are at bare minimum 18 months out.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They closed their location on the Plaza in KC just recently.

Greg