More on Pacific Life

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote:Whether PacLife comes I will say this. Nebraska has passed some great laws that insurance compaines are sure to take hold off. We've already seen companies domicile here and I'm sure we'll see more.
I'd say there is no question that this is correct..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Here I go again with a continuation of the PacLife highrise rumor thing.... I bumped into some PacLife employees today and even though I did NOT bring any questions up myself, they volunteered that PacLife continues to add more employees and are filling up the Landmark Centre. They pointed to expansion within departments already here and also pointed to more processing functions coming to Omaha in the near future. They stated that the word internally at PacLife in Omaha, amongst the rank and file at least, is that once they fill up their current Omaha space... PacLife has some HUGE plans to increase its Omaha presence.

They really didn't know what that meant exactly (but you know what I am suspicious of regarding meaning). But to the last person they are very excited about the growth at PacLIfe and in particular what the company seems to have in its plans regarding Omaha.

Given all the other pieces of this rumor puzzle on PacLife, I don't think this baby is dead yet. I have to admit that at this point I hope this thing turns out because all the circumstantial and more solid evidence too is so damn intriguing. But all bias aside, I think this thing continues to percolate and brew . . . and probably in Omaha's favor.

Ahhh, what a sport this rumor watching is!
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The eternal rumor.....  Hope it happens.  A big  60 story on 20th and St Mary's, somewhere in that area!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

heck no. That'd block my view. Or make it 10x better. :)
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

No way man. It would block half of my view. :lol: I'm still thinking this (or any other) office project will be part of that America First group building something on the World Herald site. I'd really like to see a 400  footer there.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for all that, Guy!!!

And, Mike, has anything happened with your rumor?  Can you give any details????
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I'm thinking the campus in North Downtown.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You're wrong. That's another company. :)
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks for all that, Guy!!!

And, Mike, has anything happened with your rumor?  Can you give any details????
unfortunately i have not heard anything, i will have to see if i can pry some info out of some people, ill get back to ya
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Cool.  Let us/me know.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have a job interview there tomorrow. Maybe I can find something out. You never know.
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

DTO Luv wrote:I have a job interview there tomorrow. Maybe I can find something out. You never know.
Cool, it would be nice to have an insider there, similar to that insider we had at Mutual before most of the Midtown Crossing details were released publicly...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DTO Luv: Harbinger of Development. :)

I did find out that they are moving the division I will hopefully be working in from California to Omaha. The lady I spoke with said they have gone from 25 employees in 2004 to 275 as of now.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No new revelations but more confirmation that a Paclife Tower has been/is in the works.

I was doing my exit interview from Mutual of Omaha today. The lady in HR was talking with me about my new job at Paclife. Without any prompting on my part she was telling me were they had their employee hiring projections at on a timeline (which matched up with what Paclife told me) and a few other things about them being a growing company.

Here's the part you all care about.

She had also heard that Paclife was considering a new building in Omaha. At first one out west but then deciding on a downtown place. That fits in with the original rumor I heard. A campus out west was looked at but the Downtown location was what was being pursued. The HR lady said that their brand is very important to them and they like to have their name on their own buildings.

So take it for what it's worth. Another glimpse into one of, if not the, longest running rumors on the forum.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

The beat goes on.  Thanks for the info D'Shawn.  I hope we hear something in the next year or 10 more years.:)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

God...wouldn't this be GREAT!

Make an announcement already PACLIFE!!!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

DTO Luv wrote:She had also heard that Paclife was considering a new building in Omaha. At first one out west but then deciding on a downtown place. That fits in with the original rumor I heard. A campus out west was looked at but the Downtown location was what was being pursued. The HR lady said that their brand is very important to them and they like to have their name on their own buildings.
I wonder if that was the other proposal for the old UP property.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

If this could have been the proposal for the UP site, then now they could also be looking at the swanson property along with the world herald site.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You certainly don't have to have your own building to have your name on the side of it.  I'm sure if they really wanted their name on the side of 1200 Landmark Center, they could get it.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Maybe a corporate campus in North Downtown?  Nothing ever did happen with that rumor.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well I had my first day with Paclife today. Nothing new to report. One thing they told us in our orientation is that it was much easier to find an educated and experienced pool of people in Omaha than it is California. That's encouraging news. I took the job of an illegal immigrant in CA who took it from an incompetant US citizen. They are still planning on moving quite a few jobs here and some other divisions here as well.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

well..

Post by Erik »

1.5 years since this thread started, it would appear that Pac-Life likes to talk big.  Action would appear to be a different story, this is taking a little too long for it to remain believe-able any longer.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice thought!  :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

From what I hear everythings still a go but not until 2010.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

:music "In the year 20 10 ..."
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pacific Life Foundation Announces Community Grants in Greater Omaha, Nebraska
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Pacific Life Foundation announced today that it will distribute almost $250,000 in grants to 19 nonprofit agencies and 12 schools serving the greater Omaha, Nebraska area.

Arts and Culture
  • Omaha Film Festival: A $10,000 grant to support the “Film Education Initiative” which energizes and educates young aspiring filmmakers through classes, a youth camp, a festival, and filmmaking opportunities.
  • Omaha Performing Arts Society: A $35,000 grant towards a $100,000 pledge to purchase a permanent sound system for the Kiewit Concert Hall at the Holland Performing Arts Center. In addition, a $10,000 grant has been given to provide general operating support for programming and services that reach a broad and diverse audience, including underserved populations in Omaha and the surrounding areas.
  • Omaha Symphony Association: $10,000 to support the “Communities LinkUp!” program which teaches elementary school students basic musical concepts and exposes them to classical music.
  • Omaha Zoo Foundation: A $10,000 grant to support the “Explore to Learn, Learn to Explore” education program which enhances the study of the natural world for students visiting the zoo by incorporating programs that have a foundation in math, science, and conservation.

Civic, Community, and Environment
  • Executive Services Corps-Nebraska: $10,000 to support the “Powerful Tools for Caregivers” program, which is a six-week educational program that has a positive impact on the health of the caregiver.
  • Nebraska Community Foundation: A $7,500 grant to support “Leadership Nebraska”, a six-session program that identifies current and emerging leaders throughout Nebraska and strives to deepen their knowledge of the challenges and opportunities facing the state.
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Douglass/Sarpy Counties: $10,000 to underwrite the “Hispanic Food Safety Training Program” which consists of workshops and classes to help Spanish-speaking restaurant staff in Nebraska pass the national food safety certification program.

Education
  • College of Saint Mary: $8,500 toward funding a collaborative between Girls, Inc. and College of Saint Mary which gives education majors the opportunity to teach the Operation SMART (Science, Math, and Relevant Technology) Program to girls at local middle schools to boost their interest in science and math.
  • Nebraska Academic Decathlon: A $10,000 grant toward operating support for the Academic Decathlon in Omaha which provides scholastic competition for high school students in ten different academic areas.
  • University of Nebraska Foundation: A $10,000 grant to support the “Family Wellness Program” which teaches health classes to disadvantaged families in Omaha to improve their health and quality of life.
  • University of Nebraska at Omaha: $10,000 to support “Inside Art”, a news magazine program produced by university students in the School of Communication that will showcase the various offerings in the metropolitan Omaha area.

Health and Human Services
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands: $10,000 to support the “Community Based Mentoring Program” which focuses on matching Big Brothers and Big Sisters in Omaha with Latino youth, children of prisoners, and foster children to provide them with a positive role model.
  • Care-A-Van: A $10,000 grant to support the “Elderly and Disabled Transportation Program” which provides free transportation for medical appointments, shopping, and support group meetings to the expanding vulnerable population living in western Douglas County.
  • Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Omaha: $10,000 to support the “Microenterprise Training and Development Program” which creates viable opportunities for the Latino, immigrant, and refugee communities to improve their self-sufficiency through self-employment and entrepreneurship.
  • Habitat for Humanity of Omaha: $10,000 to support their efforts to build new homes in the inner-city of North Omaha which has a nationally disproportionate high number of low-income families and vacancy rates.
  • Hope Medical Outreach Coalition: A $10,000 grant towards the coalition’s efforts to deliver healthcare services and facilitate quicker turnaround of urgent care for under insured, uninsured, and homeless individuals living in Omaha.
  • National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Nebraska Chapter: $9,400 to purchase a Gait Lab, a piece of equipment that provides a rapid, individualized evaluation of movement of MS patients, resulting in an individualized exercise and rehabilitation program for them.
  • Volunteers Assisting Seniors: A $10,000 grant to support the “Insurance Assistance and Counseling Program” which educates seniors and Medicare beneficiaries in Omaha on topics related to health insurance so they can make informed decisions.
  • YWCA of Omaha: A $10,000 grant to support a domestic and dating violence prevention program which provides tools and resources to high school and college students should they, or someone they know, fall victim to domestic or dating violence.

In addition to the above grants, the foundation’s “3T’s of Education” program will contribute grants to the following K-12 schools which have concentrations of children or grandchildren of Pacific Life employees. A 3T’s grant must be designated to one of the following areas: Teacher Training, Textbooks, or Technology:
  • Bellevue East High – Bellevue, NE: $1,500
  • Elkhorn Ridge Middle – Elkhorn, NE: $2,500
  • Fire Ridge Elementary – Elkhorn, NE: $3,000
  • Gunn Elementary – Council Bluffs, IA: $2,500
  • Millard West High – Omaha, NE: $3,500
  • Papillion-La Vista High – Papillion, NE: $1,500
  • Ronald Reagan Elementary – Omaha, NE: $3,500
  • Spring Ridge Elementary – Elkhorn, NE: $1,500
  • St. Vincent De Paul Elementary – Omaha, NE: $1,500
  • Thomas Jefferson High – Council Bluffs, IA: $2,500
  • Walnut Hill Elementary – Omaha, NE: $1,500
  • Westbrook Elementary – Omaha, NE: $1,500

Finally, the foundation has pledged to match Pacific Life employee donations to their local United Way dollar for dollar up to $5,000 per person in 2009.

Annual funding of grants allows the Pacific Life Foundation to respond to a broad spectrum of community needs by partnering with nonprofit agencies that serve a large geographic area. Contributions are made primarily in areas with large concentrations of Pacific Life employees. Currently, Pacific Life has approximately 320 employees working in its regional business center in Omaha, Nebraska. The Pacific Life Good Guys, an employee volunteer group, performed over 450 community service hours during 16 events with greater Omaha area nonprofits during 2008.

The Pacific Life Foundation was established in 1984. Together with Pacific Life, the Foundation has contributed donations totaling over $51.7 million to hundreds of nonprofits over the past 25 years. For more information about the Pacific Life Foundation, visit its Web site at http://www.PacificLifeFoundation.com.
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

And yet they deny my request to a six-figure raise. Boo!
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow I completely forgot about this rumor, I blame DTO.

Post by Guest »

:cry:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yeah, what gives
Go Cubs Go

Post by Guest »

thenewguy wrote:yeah, what gives
I blame it on the economy.

;)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Everything I ever heard about this said that if anything is going to happen it wouldn't happen until 2010 so 11:59pm December 31st 2010 you all can get your pitchforks out of the barn and your torches lit. :)
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

So are you still hearing things about this rumor, or have they kind of put it on the back burner?

We need clarification!!  8)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Haven't heard anything either way for quite a while.
DTO
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

If Pacific Life is technically domiciled in Omaha, does that make it Omaha-based? Or does it go off of the location of their administrative offices in California?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A division of the company is domiciled here but no one that makes any decisions is actually in Omaha.
DTO
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

thanks DTO. Saw ya again. This time I was parking across from the UP building when I saw ya walking by the library. I had to run though. One of these days I'll stop and say hi. lol
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yep that was me late on my way to lunch. :)
DTO