Moxy Hotel to replace OM Diner

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Moxy Hotel to replace OM Diner

Post by DTO Luv »

I was in the Old Market Saturday and noticed the lot that the Diner is on (12th and Harney) is for sale. The sign said it was zoned for CBD so I'm guessing whoever buys it would buy with the intent of building a new building.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I called on the lot the other day. List price is something like $2.1 million. Don't hold your breath on that one.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Dude! I told you this a long time ago! The owner of Cool Stuff told me. And you didn't believe me. HAHAHAAA
Next time just "listen to me now and believe me later".
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Well if anything, at that price point someone prolly isn't going to buy it to sell sandwiches. I'd think it would be more likely for new construction. Think JLofts north.
It's omahachef

Post by It's omahachef »

T make this even stickier, I was chatting with the oriental woman who owns the place, and she owns the building, but not the land. She plans to close and retire in about 4 years, and has a lease until that time. If you bought the property, I'd suspect you would have to either honor the lease, buy out the lease, or pay to move the business. $2.1 million for about a 16th of the block?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know if $2M is too expensive. It's a signifigant spot in the Old Market. I'm interested to see what happens with it. I would like to see other small lots with other buildings around them be built in through out DT. The new hotel on Jackson could open some people's eyes to similiar projects.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And if it doesn't go then what happens to it? :what:
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You basically have two options if you want to buy the land:

1) Buy the property and honor the lease
2) Buy the property and try to renegotiate the lease

I imagine I would let the lease run its course while I was figuring out what to do with the land. It's making someone money as it is right now. At $2+ million, though, you're not going to have a parking lot and breakfast joint for long, though.

Does anyone else just shake their head at all these empty corner lots being built and developed just a few decades after being torn down? WTH were people thinking?

-Big E
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

If memory serves me, I belive the owner of Michaels in the Market owns this lot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You are correct Guest. Michael Henery - owner of Michael's Restaurant and Lion Place Condominiums also owns this property.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Land sale eventually could force the Diner out of the Old Market after its lease expires
Omaha World Herald wrote:The central business district zoning on the land allows a building with a height of up to 75 feet, Henery said. Henery purchased the land planning to build a six-story building containing commercial condos with a restaurant on the first floor and underground parking, he said. However, the Diner's lease doesn't expire for three more years, and Henery decided that he did not want to buy it out, he said. Instead, Henery is selling the property. The sale of the land may jeopardize the future of the Diner, which has been open at its current location for 20 years. The owner of the Diner was out of the country and unavailable for comment last week.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well that sucks thay we'll have to wait 3 years for anything to happen. I still see that for sale sign on the lot so I've wondered how things were going.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A new 6 story building would look nice here.

DTO

Post by Guest »

D T O Luv here. I over heard Val (the OM sketch guy) talking about the guy who owns the dinner being offered to be bought out by a couple of people but that he wouldn't sell. Like I said that's unfortunate that we have to wait 3 years to get anything done there.

Post by Guest »

Although I am all for the added density it would add to the Market, there are far more important surface lots that need buildings on them.  Specifically the ones on 11th St.  Besides that, I like the diner and the atmosphere it adds.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Val is apparently a crazy old man like he tends to act, since there is no "he".  Mr. C died several years ago.  The funeral attracted literally 100's and 100's and almost turned into a spectacle.  Mrs. C owns the Diner and the building and leases the property.  She has been adamant that she will retire when the lease on the land runs out, so unless someone buys the property and keeps the Diner there, it will be gone after 3 years in any case.  Given the asking price of the land, there is no way the existing Diner could ever do enough business to pay on that mortgage.  It's my days off breakfast spot and I intend to enjoy it until the day it closes.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It might not be that bad food wise but it's hard for most people to enjoy it when they close so early. By the time the evening crowds roll around the Diner is pretty much a surface parking lot.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am wondering if there is any interest on this yet, I am surprised it is zoned for only 75 ft though..

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Re: New building to replace OM Diner?

Post by Midwestern »

This is listed for sale again. Price moved up to $2,395,000. Would be nice if this could finally be developed by the end of this decade...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Midwestern wrote:This is listed for sale again. Price moved up to $2,395,000. Would be nice if this could finally be developed by the end of this decade...
Agreed, I think this corner has TONS of potential. Same with the parking lot north of Harney street between 10th and 11th.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That building across the street to the west could use some new life...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:That building across the street to the west could use some new life...
The building with the Dubliner in the basement? What are the above floors used for?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Louie wrote:
Coyote wrote:That building across the street to the west could use some new life...
The building with the Dubliner in the basement? What are the above floors used for?
I think it's commercial space but there have been long periods of vacancy.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah, they have had for lease signs in the windows for at least 3 years.

Seems like it would be a good space for a coffee place or another restaurant considering they have the patio area on 12th St.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Bet they could put some insane lofts on the upper floors, too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Midwestern wrote:This is listed for sale again. Price moved up to $2,395,000. Would be nice if this could finally be developed by the end of this decade...
Damn...

Hope someone can make that work, with height restrictions for any new construction that may be a hard figure to recoup. Maybe some really high end condos could work.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Doubt we'll see any more JLofts type buildings any time soon. What % of JLofts is even sold/occupied?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Midwestern wrote:Doubt we'll see any more JLofts type buildings any time soon. What % of JLofts is even sold/occupied?
Last update was about half full. That was a while ago when an out of state investor bought all the empty condos.

Even this lot is so much smaller than where jlofts is. This building could be about 6 floors max. That might be a $10 million building at least on a $2 million lot with not a ton of space for units. I think anythig that goes in here will have to be premium priced.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well the skinny building thing is in at least for our major cities. It would be nice to see a six story there. How about some micro flats or are those not that profitable. If this stay vacant however imminent domain is a must.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Well the skinny building thing is in at least for our major cities. It would be nice to see a six story there. How about some micro flats or are those not that profitable. If this stay vacant however imminent domain is a must.
I just said 6 stories because the height limit is 75 feet. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but that asking price doesn't give me a lot of hope for a sale. The DCA has the lot valued $2 million less than the asking price. The tax value doesn't always mean thats what it will sell for, but dang.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

There is no chance it is selling for that price. Isn't there a way the city could make surface parking cost-prohibitive? Do other cities ever do that? I really think 10th to 16th, Douglas to Jones, should be off-limits to surface parking. Or at the very least, 10th to 13th.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Actually, it's encouraging to see prices for land that high in the OM. It will force denser development to realize a return on investment. You'd really have to build something substantial to make the numbers work. If there is a demand, it could happen. That's a big if. I agree the price will have to come down. The lot is 66 ft x 132... Same as the Plank restuarant building where Little King used to be at the SW corner of 12th & Howard. Not really a terribly skinny lot by downtown standards...historically speaking.

I suppose the Diner building itself has some value, if it can be moved..maybe $150k?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

New building to replace OM Diner?

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:You are correct Guest. Michael Henery - owner of Michael's Restaurant and Lion Place Condominiums also owns this property.
I just spoke with Mr Henery and asked this property and he said he was glad he didn't build here 10 years ago because of the recession. He bought out the diner a while back and now leases the property to the present Diner people, but now has no plans on doing anything here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Back on the market. Listed for $1,595,000 on Loopnet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Site Plan Review was submitted to the Planning Commission.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Site Plan Review was submitted to the Planning Commission.
And you might know the guy that drafted that site plan... :shock:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote:
And what does this site plan call for?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote:And what does this site plan call for?
I wish I could say, but I'm sure when the plans are made public, people are going to be really impressed and excited.

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:
Steve Minard?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Guest wrote:
Brad wrote:
Steve Minard?
European Village