Keeline Building (17th & Harney)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've heard from a very good source that this building MAY go condo. Some people from out of town are looking at buying the building and pondering different uses. It could stay an office building but going residential is definitely on the table. I hope it does go residential. Since it's just off 16th St. I think it could help be part of what turns that area around.

There's quite a bit of well kept retail bays that are already in use. Takechi's Jewelery, Barbershop/Salon, two restaurants. Terri Lynn's used to be here and now it's a mexican place. I can't remember the other one.

So hopefully this rumor pans out.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Re: Keeline Building (17th & Harney)

Post by adam186 »

If it does, I wonder how parking is going to work out.  Farnam 1600 and the Regis all share the parking structure just to the east (in the picture).  If this comes to be, 3/4 of the block will be residential and will sit on the tracks of the proposed light rail that runs on 16th. 8)
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

The building is not as big as it looks.  If you see it from the back there is a large cutout, which I guess could be filled in but would require serious reconstruction.  The building is not in the best of shape inside the elevators, plumbing, electrical are ancient it will need major reconstruction to make it nice again.  It might be better as an office building its proximity to both courthouses make it a prime location for law firms.
Last edited by Raraavis on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've heard that the building may very well remain offices but I would like to see it go residential.
DTO
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I suppose nothing of interest will happen here anytime soon...

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... StepID=101
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

DTO Luv wrote:Image

I've heard from a very good source that this building MAY go condo. Some people from out of town are looking at buying the building and pondering different uses. It could stay an office building but going residential is definitely on the table. I hope it does go residential. Since it's just off 16th St. I think it could help be part of what turns that area around.

There's quite a bit of well kept retail bays that are already in use. Takechi's Jewelery, Barbershop/Salon, two restaurants. Terri Lynn's used to be here and now it's a mexican place. I can't remember the other one.

So hopefully this rumor pans out.
The mexican place has been closed for quite a while and is where the new art gallery is going.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for this building in front of the planning board. Docs should be posted by the end of the week with details. Will be curious to see if they change the use or not.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am TIF request for this building in front of the planning board. Docs should be posted by the end of the week with details. Will be curious to see if they change the use or not.
Interesting. Is this building empty at the moment?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:03 am
iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am TIF request for this building in front of the planning board. Docs should be posted by the end of the week with details. Will be curious to see if they change the use or not.
Interesting. Is this building empty at the moment?
I am pretty sure it’s small office suites at the moment. Popular spot for attorneys with the courthouse and city hall next door. As far as I know all the retail space is occupied, but not sure if covid knocked Bobs or that jeweler out.

I think it’s really dated inside though. Could just be an office refresh. Should know today or tomorrow
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Staying office/retail. $7 million total project for new roof HVAC etc. just a refresh. I guess the juvenile probation office is the largest tenant and they are obviously moving across the street to the new building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha’s 111-year-old Keeline Building poised for $6.8 million revamp
Developer plans to retain the historic use as office and commercial center

When the historic Keeline Building rose more than a century ago in downtown Omaha, it proved pivotal to the area’s shift from a residential to a commercial and public center. In fact, the home of a famous Omahan sat on the property at 319 S. 17th St. before the seven-story Keeline was built and opened just east of the then-new Douglas County Courthouse.

It was a turning point, according to the nomination that boosted the Keeline to national historic status: “This effectually changed the face of the area surrounding the Douglas County Courthouse,” the application said, “to a commerce and public center ridding downtown Omaha of what was left of the early residential settlement.”

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Just read the article. Wow, I heard from Shamrock and Moylan in a while. Glad to see them making moves in downtown. I love that he mentioned that businesses would consider Keeline, partly due to its location on the future streetcar route.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

I know quite a few people (mostly attorneys) who have had office space in this building when first starting out (and some still there after many years). It's a great low-cost, good-location office space for businesses just starting out, hopefully it stays that way even with the renovations.

Also, I first read this story on OWH and then read it on Nebraska Examiner...what a difference. OWH really needs to step up it's game and quick.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The City Council also approved a $1 million TIF plan to rehabilitate the Keeline Building at 319 South 17th Street. The Douglas County Board of Commissioners met Tuesday to accept a $525,000 grant award to reduce risks for girls in the juvenile justice system, and a $930,000 grant for Project Harmony to support youth victims of human trafficking.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Historic facelift in Omaha
Keeline Building dates back to 1911

One of Omaha’s older and historic downtown buildings, granted a key tax break, is in line to get a major facelift. The 7-story, 111-year-old Keeline Building, located across the street from the Douglas County Courthouse, will be undergoing a nearly $7 million fix-up.

One million of that paid for with Tax Increment Financing, which takes a chunk of the property off the tax rolls for until 2042. The Keeline Building was erected in 1911 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I owned it in the 80s.
It had a Schlotzskys on the first floor. They baked the buns for all four of their stores in the basement. The whole building smelled like baked buns every morning.
There is marble everywhere...stair halls, hallways, bathrooms, lobby.
Matthews Book Store was on the first floor on the south side.
Very cool place. We bought it in I think 1983 about half full and sold it in late 1986 100%. About 1/3 was small businesses and the rest was large law firms & other large (2500 square feet and up) users.
I loved it but as they say when there's a buyer you become a seller. In our case the offer was too tasty to pass up.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
skip
Home Owners Association

Post by skip »

Mexitli restaurant going in old Oasis spot. They are currently a food truck located in little Bohemia. Had their food a few times and it’s fantastic! Great authentic Mexican food.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

skip wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:04 pm Mexitli restaurant going in old Oasis spot. They are currently a food truck located in little Bohemia. Had their food a few times and it’s fantastic! Great authentic Mexican food.
Nice! Could always use more food options downtown, especially Mexican.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

This is great news, I hope Mexitli continues its success. Easily my favorite Mexican spot in Omaha, their chef is very creative and I'm excited to see what he can do with a more permanent space.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

From this week's grow omaha newsletter:
The UPS Store plans to open in the former Takechi Jewelers space in the Keeline Building at 321 South 17th Street. The new retail space is part of Shamrock Development’s $6.8 million renovation of the historic 7-story, 61,000 sq. ft. Keeline Building.
Not the most exciting thing in the world, but a nice addition to services needed downtown.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Good catch for the Keeline, always thought this was a decent looking older class B type building. The location is top notch across from the courthouse.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Keeline Building Website:
https://keelinebuilding.com/
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:36 pm Keeline Building Website:
Nice little drone video there.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Louie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:46 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:36 pm Keeline Building Website:
Nice little drone video there.
yes! Looks very cool. I've seen the outside of that comedy club before, that'd be cool to go to
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Developers are looking into Omaha's vision with streetcar, redeveloping along the line

Omaha is building its streetcar system, and some developers are buying into the vision. More than a dozen projects are redeveloping property along the line. Most of them are residential and commercial space. "Yeah! It looks like an ant hill finally," said Shamrock Development's Mike Moyland.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good story but I was hoping for more details on other projects.