NE Corner of 72nd and Cornhusker

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NE Corner of 72nd and Cornhusker

Post by Guest »

Anybody heard or seen anything about RED developing this corner?

There is a trailer at the corner "advertising" RED Development, now.

Apparently RED was at a Papio city council meeting with the plans, but weren't shown.

Supposedly it's going to be about 1/4 the size of Shadow Lake w/ 2 anchor stores.

Anyone else know anything? Looks like 72nd Street is becoming the NEW Golden Mile and 84th is becoming a ghost town (at least in La Vista).

Post by Guest »

I thought this was a housing development?  Is there room for retail there as well?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Lots of room.  I had heard Walgreens was going to build there, which I thought would be a good location for them, as there are no pharmacies near to this location that I know of.

Red has a great pedigree, but these are tough times for retail.

Post by Guest »

There is definitely commercial space there.  And a big trailer with RED and Lerner on it too.  

As for Pharmacies- there aren't any Walgreens within a couple miles but I think you can get prescriptions at Wal Mart, Target and No Frills.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:There is definitely commercial space there.  And a big trailer with RED and Lerner on it too.  

As for Pharmacies- there aren't any Walgreens within a couple miles but I think you can get prescriptions at Wal Mart, Target and No Frills.
You are correct, you can get scripts at WalMart, Target, and Hy-Vee.  No-Frills (I'm not sure about that one)

But a Walgreens would go well there- they'd have the Southwest and Northeast corners of the city covered, with excellent access to both (96th St. and 72nd St.)

If only RED would take over the Southport land and get it going.

Although the movie theater is finally a go, and maybe a ball park (doubt it though, more then likely will end up at I-80 and 370- if anywhere)
Councilman

Lavista

Post by Councilman »

Problem is with having RED in Southport (I'm being sarcastic) is Lerner has the land at Harrison Hills (near 118th/Harrison) that's been marketed even before Shadow was developed and you see how nothing has gone there other than a Peel's warehouse!  The land was annexed by the city prior to development and the infrastructure is already in place.  Lerner hasn't done squat there.  Be careful what you wish for.
County Attorney

Post by County Attorney »

I heard the ballpark is a lock for Southport West, JQ Hammons Field at Pay Pal Stadium.  Why go to I-80 and 370, you have over 600 hotel rooms at Southport. I guess you do have the Suburban Inn and a Quizinos at 370, I am sure teams would love to stay there, kind of a truck stop feel though.
Golden Spike

Post by Golden Spike »

Problem with the Southport location is that it is in La Vista and the city IS NOT ponying up any money for this.  They need to look at revitalizing 84th St before committing any tax money for a stadium.  If the stadium is not in the city and just to the south of Southport West, that may be doable with the County putting up the money.  Yes, hotel rooms are there, so what?  How many people come from out of town to see the Royals, even off I-80?  If Stein is a business man with any sense he finds a way to loose the farmship with KC and get a Cubs, Cards or Twins deal.  Keep your rumors alive about something in La Vista.  You are soooo wrong.  Think Bellevue ETJ and you may be in the "park".  Lee Polikov should concentrate on prosecuting cases instead of playing Walter O'Malley.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

There is 0 chance in heck that the Royals can change affiliations.  The Royals affiliation is actually starting to be pretty exciting with the new GM Dayton Moore.  He built a very strong ballclub in Atlanta because of a well developed farm system.  But I am also biased because I am a huge Royals fan.

Post by Guest »

Golden Spike wrote:Problem with the Southport location is that it is in La Vista and the city IS NOT ponying up any money for this.  They need to look at revitalizing 84th St before committing any tax money for a stadium.  If the stadium is not in the city and just to the south of Southport West, that may be doable with the County putting up the money.  Yes, hotel rooms are there, so what?  How many people come from out of town to see the Royals, even off I-80?  If Stein is a business man with any sense he finds a way to loose the farmship with KC and get a Cubs, Cards or Twins deal.  Keep your rumors alive about something in La Vista.  You are soooo wrong.  Think Bellevue ETJ and you may be in the "park".  Lee Polikov should concentrate on prosecuting cases instead of playing Walter O'Malley.
Bellevue ETJ?  Bellevue has too many issues and don't think they would be willing to pony up any money either.   I bet Papillion or Gretna ETJ so get the benefit of central part of the county, close to I-80 and close proximity to Southport.   Closer to I-80 between the Nebraska Crossing and Southport.   I wouldn't discount LaVista - they have been pretty smart with Southport - they won't jeopordize that if JQH, Cabellas, and PayPal all agree to jump in with money and naming rights even with the 84th stree issue.   Both the LaVista and Papillion leadership are pretty smart and the county won't let the opportunity go buy if they have a choice.   Bellevue, I don't think has the vision.

Post by Guest »

Bellevue ETJ?  Bellevue has too many issues and don't think they would be willing to pony up any money either.   I bet Papillion or Gretna ETJ so get the benefit of central part of the county, close to I-80 and close proximity to Southport.   Closer to I-80 between the Nebraska Crossing and Southport.   I wouldn't discount LaVista - they have been pretty smart with Southport - they won't jeopordize that if JQH, Cabellas, and PayPal all agree to jump in with money and naming rights even with the 84th stree issue.   Both the LaVista and Papillion leadership are pretty smart and the county won't let the opportunity go buy if they have a choice.   Bellevue, I don't think has the vision.[/quote]

Agree that the leadership in LV and even Papio has handled their growth well.  I would doubt they would want to do anything with the County at this point based on the current makeup of the County Board and etal. who have constantly been a problem with Papio and LV.  Count LV propoer out of the scenario.  Mayor Blinn isn't naive enough to jump into bed with the county after getting sued by the misfits.
Bellevue ETJ, yes.  Don't think of it in Bellevue or the City of Bellevue having anything to do with it (otherwise it'll be a failure like the youth baseball debacle).

Post by Guest »

Am I the only one that doesn't know what the heck ETJ means?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Anonymous wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't know what the heck ETJ means?
ETJ or Extraterritorial Jurisdiction is the legal ability of a government to exercise authority beyond its normal boundaries.
Years ago I posted a map of Sarpy County's Jurisdictions on here somewhere.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ET(J) Phone Home...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Post by Guest »

I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks for clearing that up Coyote.

Post by Guest »

wow we got way off topic!!! I was hoping to hear more about the RED Development :) and wound up in southport and bellevue.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Bellevue ETJ?  Bellevue has too many issues and don't think they would be willing to pony up any money either.   I bet Papillion or Gretna ETJ so get the benefit of central part of the county, close to I-80 and close proximity to Southport.   Closer to I-80 between the Nebraska Crossing and Southport.   I wouldn't discount LaVista - they have been pretty smart with Southport - they won't jeopordize that if JQH, Cabellas, and PayPal all agree to jump in with money and naming rights even with the 84th stree issue.   Both the LaVista and Papillion leadership are pretty smart and the county won't let the opportunity go buy if they have a choice.   Bellevue, I don't think has the vision.

Agree that the leadership in LV and even Papio has handled their growth well.  I would doubt they would want to do anything with the County at this point based on the current makeup of the County Board and etal. who have constantly been a problem with Papio and LV.  Count LV propoer out of the scenario.  Mayor Blinn isn't naive enough to jump into bed with the county after getting sued by the misfits.
Bellevue ETJ, yes.  Don't think of it in Bellevue or the City of Bellevue having anything to do with it (otherwise it'll be a failure like the youth baseball debacle).[/quote]

I think the counties hiring of their new planner was an olive branch to Papillion.   Papillion and the county have seemed to cooperate pretty good on everything except the annexation fights where Papillion wants to go to the interstate.   Blinn is not going to shoot himself in the foot for the sake of a little spat with the county.
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

Anonymous wrote:wow we got way off topic!!! I was hoping to hear more about the RED Development :) and wound up in southport and bellevue.
Both corners of 72nd and Cornhusker seem to being developed.

Settlers Creek Replat 2
West Cornhusker Plaza South

Post by Guest »

there is a walgreens at 84th and harrison st in Ralston
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Anonymous wrote:there is a walgreens at 84th and harrison st in Ralston

Yes, thank you.  We covered that with the  'there aren't any Walgreens within a couple miles.'
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

There is a Walgreens going up just a little north of this area.

Here we go, no pictures tho:

http://www.reddevelopment.com/cmt_property.asp?id=136

Settlers Creek
Papillion, Nebraska
250,000 square feet
Opening Summer 2009

Settlers Creek will be a 30-acre community center located at the intersection of 72nd Street and Cornhusker Road in Papillion, Nebraska. The site is part of the Settlers Creek master-planned community currently under construction. The retail component is planned to compliment Shadow Lake Towne Center, an 800,000-square-foot lifestyle center located approximately two miles south of Settlers Creek at the intersection of Highway 370 and 72nd Street. Settlers Creek will provide an array of community-based retail offerings such as a grocery store, drug store, junior anchors, service-oriented retailers and restaurants.

Settlers Creek is a joint venture between RED Development and The Lerner Company, who also co-developed Shadow Lake Towne Center.

Post by Guest »

You know... I was thinking just the other day... now there's a corner without a Walgreens.

Question

Post by Guest »

Has anyone heard any new news on this? The RED Website shows a site plan with Staples, Petco, Sprouts Market, Hastings and Urban Active.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Hastings? Last time I lived near a Hastings they carried books, CDs and DVDs. Aren't those types of retail dying (or dead)?