Mastercraft Furniture Building North Downtown

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Mastercraft Furniture Building North Downtown

Post by OmahaChef »

As a bit of background....

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... astercraft

Now for the rumor.  I have been told by someone involved in the project that a feasibility study is currently being done on several tenants for this building.  One tenant would be the art department of an area university (not UNO).  There would be a link to the artists at Hot Shops, perhaps as guest lecturers and artists in residence, plus opportunities for students to work with the artists in their Hot Shops spaces.  An area of this building is also perfect for a theatre, and would house two current downtown theatre companies, one of whom is currently sharing space with another.  Again, a tie-in to the university art department performing arts students.  There has even been some feelers as to having an area community college provide food service to the students.  I was told although this is in a feasibility mode, the decision could be made in a month or two.  I HATE not being able to mention more specifics.  Hopefully you can fill in the blanks.

I was also told if this was approved, Grinnell is considering building some artist work/live units along the driveway to the Mastercraft building, and that he is planning to retire in about 5 years or less, and plans to have Ashton redeveloped into condos or apartments.  This area was recently declared a historic district I believe.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mastercraft Furniture Building North Downtown

Post by Coyote »

OmahaChef wrote:As a bit of background....

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... astercraft

Now for the rumor.  I have been told by someone involved in the project that a feasibility study is currently being done on several tenants for this building.  One tenant would be the art department of an area university (not UNO).  There would be a link to the artists at Hot Shops, perhaps as guest lecturers and artists in residence, plus opportunities for students to work with the artists in their Hot Shops spaces.  An area of this building is also perfect for a theatre, and would house two current downtown theatre companies, one of whom is currently sharing space with another.  Again, a tie-in to the university art department performing arts students.  There has even been some feelers as to having an area community college provide food service to the students.  I was told although this is in a feasibility mode, the decision could be made in a month or two.  I HATE not being able to mention more specifics.  Hopefully you can fill in the blanks.

I was also told if this was approved, Grinnell is considering building some artist work/live units along the driveway to the Mastercraft building, and that he is planning to retire in about 5 years or less, and plans to have Ashton redeveloped into condos or apartments.  This area was recently declared a historic district I believe.
The Ashton building is now on ther market for $6.8m, that could change things up!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (81.53 KiB) Viewed 1419 times