The Omaha Cubs (AAA)

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:The Iowa Cubs are not coming here...  Speculate all you want, but the best attended team in Minor League Baseball is not going to roll up the carpet and head to Omaha.
I agree with you 100% if the Royals are in the metro.  I agree with you 25% if the Royals leave the metro, which is pretty much the fuel for my hope that if the Royals aren't downtown, they leave the metro altogether.

Now, here's another hypothetical...

(Assuming) The AAA Royals have a 25 year contract in Sarpy.  What happens if due to economics, TV contracts, famine, locusts, gypsies, or MLB contraction, there is no such thing as the KC Royals in the next 5-10 years?  I realize the probability of this is <.1%, but what happens to the farm teams if the MLB parent folds?
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Believe it or not the Royals are about as stable as they come in MLB.  They have absolutely zero debt and their owner paid cash for the team, he did not finance any of the purchase.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Lets see. The OWH site super crashes on the day the Ricketts' bought the Cubs. The only other time it did that was when 8 people were gunned down in Von Maur. The Cubs have a big following here and having the minor league team playing in the hometown of the owners is pretty enticing. The AAA Cubs would have a following anywhere. Why not get them here?
First off, I am not saying I don't want them here.  However there is way more to it than Rickets saying move them to Omaha...  The league has to approve it, then the League owners would have to approve it, then there is lease issues with the stadium in DesMoines.  Its a really far fetched idea that they would ever end up here.
That would be the case if the Des Moines AAA franchise were to try to move out of Des Moines.  If Chicago merely wanted to change their AAA affiliate from the franchise in Des Moines to the franchise in Omaha, it's much simpler.  It happens quite a bit.  It's an issue between Kansas City, Des Moines, the Cubs, and Alan Stein.

The way things look right now, the best we can hope for is an exhibition game with the Chicago Cubs in the new downtown ballpark.  Which will still be very cool.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They can keep them :;):

R    H    E  
Iowa      7    10   0
Omaha  17   21   1

Post by Guest »

HskrFanMike wrote:The way things look right now, the best we can hope for is an exhibition game with the Chicago Cubs in the new downtown ballpark.  Which will still be very cool.
Which is still extremely unlikely. The Cubs sell-out HoHoKam Park in Mesa for spring training. They aren't going to come to an unaffiliated, cold-weather, minor league park in March to play an exhibition game in lieu of playing another day or two in the fun and sun of Arizona.

And there's exactly 0% chance they'll come on an off-day in the regular season.

And before you go where I know you're going, playing the first game in the new Yankees Stadium is completely different, and you know it.