The Omaha Cubs (AAA)

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

The Omaha Cubs (AAA)

Post by DTO Luv »

The Omaha Cubs (AAA)

I've been hearing this nonsense/potential great news all day. I think it's unlikely but would be awesome if it happens. What do you all think?
Last edited by DTO Luv on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Its all joking.  There is zero percent chance that would ever happen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The cubs and wrigley field are an American icon... They will NEVER move.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The MINOR league team.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Oh.  Don't think that will happen either.  But about one million times more probable.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Oh, if people would put the name of the post in the tread too besides just the title!

I'll go fix it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Matt Perault has been talking about this for the last couple hours. Ricketts buying the Chicago Cubs - TD Ameritrade has naming rights for Omaha's Downtown stadium - which opens in 2011 - Iowa Cubs agreement with Chicago expires in 2012 - there are more Chicago Cubs bars in Omaha than KC Royals... put all the pieces together.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Matt Perault has been talking about this for the last couple hours. Ricketts buying the Chicago Cubs - TD Ameritrade has naming rights for Omaha's Downtown stadium - which opens in 2011 - Iowa Cubs agreement with Chicago expires in 2012 - there are more Chicago Cubs bars in Omaha than KC Royals... put all the pieces together.
That doesn't mean much.  Somehow you would have to get the Royals to play downtown or get them to leave and then lure another AAA minor league team to Omaha?   I can't listen because my radio is busted...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Matt Perault has been talking about this for the last couple hours. Ricketts buying the Chicago Cubs - TD Ameritrade has naming rights for Omaha's Downtown stadium - which opens in 2011 - Iowa Cubs agreement with Chicago expires in 2012 - there are more Chicago Cubs bars in Omaha than KC Royals... put all the pieces together.
There is probably more Chicago Cubs bars in Kansas City than there are Royals ones.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No - it doesn't mean much - it is just a crusade Perault has started today. He thinks there are at least twice the amount of Cub fans in Omaha than Royal fans - that Omahans look up to Chicago but think KC is just a little larger Omaha, they could market the Omaha Cubs better than the Royals - better retail would come to North Downtown - grow ivy in the outfield...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I really like the idea, just don't see it happening.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I googled "Omaha Cubs" and came up with this : http://omahacubsfans.com/
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
That doesn't mean much.  Somehow you would have to get the Royals to play downtown or get them to leave and then lure another AAA minor league team to Omaha?   I can't listen because my radio is busted...
We'll we are doing all we can to get them to leave so that's one strike. Two, since the Ricketts would own the Cubs they would also get the minor league team.

I'm going to put on my super crazy conspiracy theory hat and say this was the plan all along. I probably think I've even said this before. But again it's still a lot to get to fall into place and maybe we're making connections that just aren't there.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Iowa Cubs exec: Big-Cubs sale won't affect us

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... 2/90123023
RANDY PETERSON wrote:The sale of the Chicago Cubs will not impact its triple-A affiliate in Des Moines, Iowa Cubs general manager Sam Bernabe said today.

“We’re contracted to be with the Chicago Cubs through the 2012 season,” he said, “and our lease on Principal Park doesn’t expire until 2034. I think it’s safe to say that there will be triple-A baseball in Des Moines for a lot of years to come.”

The Chicago Cubs have endorsed a $900 million offer from Thomas Ricketts to purchase the club. He lives in Chicago.

His father, Joe, is a former chairman of the board of TD Ameritrade, a brokerage in Omaha — where another triple-A facility exists.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jim Henry cubs GM coached at Creighton...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The I-Cubs are one of the most successful AAA franchises in the nation, I cannot ever see them moving from Des Moines... a market which actually understands the value of top tier minor league sports.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

True but I think many people would want to ride on the coattails of a crappy Chicago team instead of a crappy Kansas City team.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Just because people here might want to follow one suck team over another has absolutely NO bearing on if a team is going to relocate here. I'm thinking the ownership group in Des Moines might have something to say about it. Let alone if the Royals end up staying, then that blocks it right there. It's not happening people.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

I'm sorry where the Chicago Cubs not in the playoffs this year? Who you calling crappy?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

SabrinaFaire wrote: Who you calling crappy?
The Cubs. They'd win the series and still suck. :)

I think a lot of people are grasping at straws here but it's something nice to think about.

Wags, you know the Royals aren't staying here so that frees Omaha up for another AAA team.
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:True but I think many people would want to ride on the coattails of a crappy Chicago team instead of a crappy Kansas City team.

Eeeeeeasy... :;):
Go Cubs Go
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Stargazer wrote:The I-Cubs are one of the most successful AAA franchises in the nation, I cannot ever see them moving from Des Moines... a market which actually understands the value of top tier minor league sports.
I wouldn't quite say that, they may draw well for the Cubs but the Iowa Chops (former Stars) are drawing an average of about 3,000 a game, and I read the other day that they had an ANNOUNCED CROWD (not actual, announced) of 1,746.

By the way the Quad City Flames are drawing an average of 2,751. Omaha never dropped below 3,000, and we were never in the last place of league attendance, the flames were in last place a couple weeks ago. Good move Calgary, especially since Omaha was ranked 4th in attendance in the playoffs for the one round they were in. Good move.
elwood
New to the Neighborhood

Post by elwood »

...neophytes.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

You'll see an editorial cartoon in the Sunday "Omaha Monopoly Fishwrap" that seems to be drawn after misreading this forum.  It's tongue in cheek, but there is a little bit of "look down your nose" as well, which is funny coming from a second rate "publication" that participated fully in the hoax known as the reporting of the "carefully crafted hoax".  

What's good for the goose....

By the way, what are the stats for HaroldAndersen.com?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It is just like the comments on here.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

And when said owner of the major league team also owns the naming rights for the stadium in another market, sometimes the synergies force the issue.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That could be but the I Cubs have a long history in Des Moines.  I understand all the excitement on the Ricketts issue but I still don't see this happening.

Greg
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Now I don't know what to root for. I did want the Cubs here but now I'm not so sure.

As far fetched as that may seem I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that they may seriously look at moving the I-Cubs here.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:Regardless, no one will give a flip about baseball in Sarpy County in four years when the AAA Cubs are in downtown Omaha filling their 24,000 seat stadium for every game. I will give D'Shawn a handy on 11th & Howard if the Ricketts don't yank the affiliate contract from Des Moines in a few years and put the AAA franchise in the stadium named after the company they used to fund the purchase of the Chicago Cubs.
I could go for that!  :mrgreen:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Big E you better start warming up your hand unless you think the Royals are leaving. There's NO WAY that the Cubs team comes here if the Royals build in Sarpy. There are territorial rights for teams and they are both in the PCL. NO WAY that two AAA teams here happens.

If you are implying that the Royals leave and the AAA Cubs team is moved here, then I hope that is what happens. Its the best case situation now at this point.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Serious question about a hypothetical situation:

If you could have the Royals in La Vista now or wait until 2011 to have the AAA Cubs DT which would you rather have?
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:Serious question about a hypothetical situation:

If you could have the Royals in La Vista now or wait until 2011 to have the AAA Cubs DT which would you rather have?
Cubs. Then we can get some Bears, and Otters.
Figure it out.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Maybe Omaha leader's reluctance to work with the Royals is a sign they don't want to work with them and are secretly putting together a deal for the I-Cubs. Mwahaha! Conspiracies!
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:Maybe Omaha leader's reluctance to work with the Royals is a sign they don't want to work with them and are secretly putting together a deal for the I-Cubs. Mwahaha! Conspiracies!
Conspiracies are good. The more I hear, the more I like these Cubs. (though the Ricketts make me puke.)

Of course, whatever happens, nothing can be as stupid as the Golden Spikes.

Post by Guest »

The I Cubs are not moving here.  The best the ricketts could do is drop them in favor of a team that would move.  In which case we would have Cubs but it would be a different organization, which probably wouldnt matter to those in here I suppose!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that and i saw on ketv.com that the Royals and Sarpy county reached a long term deal.
Go Cubs Go
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

One of the main reasons why people think the Cubs AAA affiliation could move to Omaha is TD Ameritrade's connection to the downtown stadium.  When the Des Moines/Cubs affiliation expires, there might be a desire on the part of the Ricketts family to put their minor league team in the stadium named for the company they help operate.  That would require negotiations between the Cubs and Alan Stein for a minor league affiliation down the road.  Stein controls the exclusive rights to operate a minor league franchise in the Omaha area, so there's no way the Iowa Cubs simply move downtown to compete against the Omaha Royals.

But since Stein seems ready to sign a long term deal with Sarpy County, the only way this happens is if Ameritrade decided to purchase the naming rights in Sarpy County instead.  And since the rumored Sarpy stadium is apparently being sized to fit a KC minor league franchise (last report was 5,000 seats), that's looking more and more unlikely.

Now, if everybody takes a step away from the edge of the cliff, and the Sarpy county deal fails with Stein and MECA suddenly compromise with each other, this isn't outside the realm of possibilities.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Iowa Cubs are not coming here...  Speculate all you want, but the best attended team in Minor League Baseball is not going to roll up the carpet and head to Omaha.  

Here is to Cubs talk
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Lets see. The OWH site super crashes on the day the Ricketts' bought the Cubs. The only other time it did that was when 8 people were gunned down in Von Maur. The Cubs have a big following here and having the minor league team playing in the hometown of the owners is pretty enticing. The AAA Cubs would have a following anywhere. Why not get them here?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Lets see. The OWH site super crashes on the day the Ricketts' bought the Cubs. The only other time it did that was when 8 people were gunned down in Von Maur. The Cubs have a big following here and having the minor league team playing in the hometown of the owners is pretty enticing. The AAA Cubs would have a following anywhere. Why not get them here?
First off, I am not saying I don't want them here.  However there is way more to it than Rickets saying move them to Omaha...  The league has to approve it, then the League owners would have to approve it, then there is lease issues with the stadium in DesMoines.  Its a really far fetched idea that they would ever end up here.