Streetcars?...

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GuestOmaha

Streetcars?...

Post by GuestOmaha »

I heard something interesting the other day...there's someone looking into getting a franchise from the city to build a streetcar system, and at least the first part would be up and running in like 2 years.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know how one would franchise a streetcar since it would be city run.
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't know how one would franchise a streetcar since it would be city run.
Would a private company or something be able to pull it off? Maybe that's what they mean. (and how awesome that would be - wishful thinking)
GuestOmaha

Post by GuestOmaha »

not city run - a private company.  The person I heard this from said it was looked at and with the 5 main routes, it would make a profit...and they wouldn't do that much in loans but actually raise money by selling equity in the company.

and personally, I would not mind for a private company to do it cuz then we wouldnt have to worry about the city or MAT screwing it up lol
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'll believe it when I see see it but it sounds highly unlikely to me. For a private company to put something in city owned property (the streets) it would take some sort of compromise of control and planning since putting in a streetcar, potentially without regards to what the city has already made plans for, might not work best.
DTO
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I don't know, we used to have a privately held streetcar company in the city.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

icejammer wrote:I don't know, we used to have a privately held streetcar company in the city.
True, not to say it couldn't happen again but I see a lot of challenges to that happening that would need to change.
DTO
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The city could just grant easements in the right-of-ways for the streetcar tracks and utilities, much like they do for privately owned gas pipelines, fiber optic, cable TV, etc. There would be many details to work out, but it sounds doable to me. Interesting.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mchine731

Post by mchine731 »

So a community owned private enterprise providing public benefiting goods?  Sounds awesome!  sign me up, the this is the best of two worlds.  The public goods ran with a profit motif may work.  a professional administration staff with stake in the "co-op"(which is what i thought of when i heard it).  Sounds pretty cool.  Again if true the cooperation between big business and city government.  This has been a staple of Omaha i.e. MOFO development.  

If true I would definitely buy in.  Think if true shares rather than bonds were sold for the Qwest?  Would you have bought in?

Don't think of it as a big business in the financing sense but just the business management.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

If private enterprise can put the street car in, I say do it- leave the city/gov't out of it. After seeing how MAT is operated, I think something privately owned is a great idea (and maybe it will actually make money).
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Can someone show me a privately owned  street car in the US that is profitable?  I can't even think of a private let alone one that is not subsidized.

Greg
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

Greg S wrote:Can someone show me a privately owned  street car in the US that is profitable?  I can't even think of a private let alone one that is not subsidized.

Greg
This is not privately owned, but an interesting look and read

http://www.streetcar.org