Hyatt @ 11/12th and Dodge/Capitol

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Hyatt @ 11/12th and Dodge/Capitol

Post by Brad »

Josh.... Spill the Beans!
Last edited by Brad on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

?????
Go Cubs Go
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

|expletive| tease is not funny.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Ok here's the 411. Dude at the art show is looking at this aerial.

He says he lives in the Ford Lofts, etc, etc. Then points out the surface lot bounded by Dodge, Capitol, 11th and 12th and says that it will be interesting to see it get developed now that Hyatt has bought it. Me "HUH?!?!?!?" He then says he has a buddy either on the chamber or something equal (don't remember which) that told him about it.

So there it is, I have no way to confirm any of this but if Hyatt really did buy that lot then big things are in store.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i hope so.  I just would hate to see another 8 story hotel and be disappointed like with Hilton.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

How recently was this allegedly purchased by Hyatt?  The county assessors site doesn't show any sales on this in the last 5 years, unless it occurred in the last week.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm not sure on when but I got the impression that it was a fairly recent event.

Post by Guest »

Only problem is they are talking about another limited service hotel.  
Not sure if they actually bought the lot.  If I had to guess I'd say no, not yet at least, but its possible, they are looking.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it took 3 months for the assessor's site to show recent purchases?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I heard it was supposed to be identical to the new Hyatt in Hong Kong.  :roll:

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Anonymous wrote:Only problem is they are talking about another limited service hotel.  
Not sure if they actually bought the lot.  If I had to guess I'd say no, not yet at least, but its possible, they are looking.
If anything I think this rumor just might reassure that the Wall Street Tower is dead.  Why would Hyatt build a limited service hotel just blocks from another one of their limited service hotels?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

You know I kinda wondered that myself. Confirmation of Hyatt looking into/buying this lot would possibly indicate that. Though I was hoping that the Hyatt Place stays in the WST and a 400+ room full service Hyatt would be built here. :)
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Damn, there goes my parking spot for the Symphony. Just another reason Omaha needs Light Rail!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Before everyone gets all giddy, wasn't this same hotel only supposed to take up a few floors in the Wallstreet? It would suck to see that lot wasted on a 4 story hotel.
DTO

Post by Guest »

DTO Luv wrote:Before everyone gets all giddy, wasn't this same hotel only supposed to take up a few floors in the Wallstreet? It would suck to see that lot wasted on a 4 story hotel.
Exactly. Kind of a disappointment to have all these suburban style hotels in dt/north dt.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

If this is true that would be awesome, especially if its a regency because those are always unique.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I thought for some reason that Townsend in one of his last public statements/updates on the WST that they were going in a different direction regarding the Hyatt. I would assume with the new development in North downtown, especially TD Ameritrade Park, that if Hyatt was really interested in getting something going in the near future, that they would run and not look back from the WST development. I mean why on earth would they pass up an opportunity to construct there own building a block away from a project that has seen delay after delay. I also hope, if this rumor does have legs, that this isn't your run of the mill 5 story hotel, but It doesn't have to be 30 stories either, although it would be nice. :lol: I will say the location would be perfect.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Can we please get this thread renamed to something that pertains to the topic???

Post by Guest »

They are indeed looking, have not bought yet.  hotel and parking and even some wrap for any parking that would be visible from the street level.  No word on the likely hood or timing.

Post by Guest »

If everything works out according to plan, which in this current economy is no given,  I have a hunch that everyone on this forum will like what they see. :;):

Stay tuned folks. :music:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Anonymous wrote:If everything works out according to plan, which in this current economy is no given,  I have a hunch that everyone on this forum will like what they see. :;):

Better be a mid-rise hotel complex, forming its own mini skyline next to qwest.  Anything other than that and it may be disappointing.
Go Cubs Go
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

thenewguy wrote:
Anonymous wrote:If everything works out according to plan, which in this current economy is no given,  I have a hunch that everyone on this forum will like what they see. :;):

Better be a mid-rise hotel complex, forming its own mini skyline next to qwest.  Anything other than that and it may be disappointing.
I guess its too much to ask for a 30 story hotel like the downtown Des Moines Marriott?  I've stayed there.  It's a great hotel.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/d ... -downtown/

Property Information-Marriott Des Moines Downtown:
   * 33 floors, 411 rooms, 6 suites
   * 8 meeting rooms, 25,000 sq ft of total meeting space
   * 3 concierge levels

Where is the downtown Omaha 30 story hotel?  Oh yeah, we don't need one because we got the Hilton next to the Qwest Center.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

I guess its too much to ask for a 30 story hotel like the downtown Des Moines Marriott?  I've stayed there.  It's a great hotel.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/d ... -downtown/

Property Information-Marriott Des Moines Downtown:
   * 33 floors, 411 rooms, 6 suites
   * 8 meeting rooms, 25,000 sq ft of total meeting space
   * 3 concierge levels

Where is the downtown Omaha 30 story hotel?  Oh yeah, we don't need one because we got the Hilton next to the Qwest Center.

I kid.  I'd take a single, 30 story hotel.
Go Cubs Go
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Idk about the Des Moines Marriot, it's pretty ugly.

2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

S33 wrote:Idk about the Des Moines Marriot, it's pretty ugly.

while I agree it's ugly. We'd be un-likely to get such a ugly-ugly building built now. Architectural styles and tastes have changed.

While I doubt the building would be incredibly beautiful, it wouldn't be distractingly stark either.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I don't agree that its ugly.  I've stayed there before & it's really nice.  I guess you'd have to actually see it in person instead of relying on one picture to draw a conclusion.  Anyway, and I don't know how else to put this, it looks and acts like a big city hotel.  Concierge, parking attendants, doorman, beautiful, well-laid-out and appointed lobby, amazing views from the upper floors...everything I would have liked to see in the original Marriott Qwest Center Hotel.  Now I'd like to see this type of property near the First National Tower-OWH-UP area of downtown.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I would love to know what the current average occupancy rate is for the existing downtown hotels.  From what I hear, the ones in North Downtown are struggling a bit.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I don't agree that its ugly.  I've stayed there before & it's really nice.  I guess you'd have to actually see it in person instead of relying on one picture to draw a conclusion.  Anyway, and I don't know how else to put this, it looks and acts like a big city hotel.  Concierge, parking attendants, doorman, beautiful, well-laid-out and appointed lobby, amazing views from the upper floors...everything I would have liked to see in the original Marriott Qwest Center Hotel.  Now I'd like to see this type of property near the First National Tower-OWH-UP area of downtown.
I have stayed there 3 times or so, and I wasn't overly impressed. It was nice and the service was good, but I wouldn't compare it with the 'big city' hotels necessarily.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaChef wrote:I would love to know what the current average occupancy rate is for the existing downtown hotels.  From what I hear, the ones in North Downtown are struggling a bit.
Aren't the tourism and convention industries down in general right now?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I talked to a VP that works at X downtown. All she heard was it's all preliminary and they are anticipating for the CWS influx. That possibly means no rush perhaps. She wouldn't deny or confirm on any specific franchise. Next time I will have to bring my plyers and make her talk.
15-17, 26, 32
swgiust

Post by swgiust »

I talked to a worker that was doing the parking lot in this area. If you look at the photo a few threads back, the building to the right of the
Ford lofts (Swanson building) is no longer there. The whole block is Qwest center parking. Anyway, the guy said "I don't know why they are
building this parking lot because a hotel is coming in in 2 years..."
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

well, not that the worker knows $hit, but 2 years as a parking lot means an awful lot of cars will get parked off street in those two years.