New High School?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

stabone99
Home Owners Association

New High School?

Post by stabone99 »

I've heard there might be a new high school that is going to be build by Deer Creek, approximately 117th and State streets.  Has anyone heard anything about this school?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Don't know about that but there is a proposed middle school at 138 and State. OPS already owns the land but it will be 4-5 years at least.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

I wonder if my contact is confused with location and that is actually where it is.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Is there already demand for another school?
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Buffett magnet middle school built 5 yrs ago for a population of a little over 800 (i think)  Population this year over 1300.

Part of the over population comes from the subdivisions being built out there. I notice a whole new one being built on the north side of Military just past 132 and then some more dirt being moved around at the NW corner of Ida and Military. All of these would go to Fullerton or Saddle Brook and then possibly on to Buffett.

Another part of the of the over population is OPS needs to readjust boundaries and and stick to them. I think Nathan Hale is about 250 this year but they are implementing a new program. Morton's started bring in 5th graders a couple of years ago but I have heard that they only have like 50 or so in the class -- Buffett has approx 300 5th graders.

High school wise -- Burke is overflowing and NW has a need for more students.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

I'm a resident out in that area of 156th and State street.  And yes, they appear to be adding more and more homes.  We're looking to buy a slightly bigger home in a nearby neighborhood.  Problem is that we don't want our kids going to Northwest and I got my hopes up that they might be building a new high school by Deer Creek based on what I was told.  I know Burke used to have the open policy but it appears it no longer will which really cuts down our options.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

So....Omaha North, Millard North, Omaha Northwest, Westside, Bellevue West, Millard West...what to call the new school -- North by Northwest? With a course in Cary Grant movies? :;):
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There is a large plat that has been under development for residential since last summer, just south of the old Sunset Speedway.  Lots are now being sold.  Part of that land is still showing as being owned by the Douglas County school district.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 0919720850

This may be what you are thinking of.  There is still a for sale sign on the NW corner of Sunset Speedway.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Bingo!  This is precisely where I was told it would be.  14 acres seems like a good size as well.  Good find Bbinks.  Thanks
MadScientist
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MadScientist »

14 acres for a High School? What? For just the Freshmen? Come on, think about that one a little more and try again. Maybe a Elementary School, but not a High School. In this day and age, you'd need at least 40 acres for a High School.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Perhaps they possess more than one lot.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The one by the speedway is elementary, the one to the NW is a middle.  No new HSs going yet.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

This summer there was an article about the new middle school. I think it is suppose to open fall 2013. In the article, OPS said there was no plans for a new high school at this time.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Uffda wrote:This summer there was an article about the new middle school. I think it is suppose to open fall 2013. In the article, OPS said there was no plans for a new high school at this time.
And this is why three friends of ours all moved to the Elkhorn school district from from Stone Creek.  None wanted their kids going to Northwest.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Where exactly is the city of Omaha growing that it needs another high school?  It is pretty much only growing via annexation and any place it annexes already has a school district.

Post by Guest »

Have you been out on Ida or State Street in the 144th/156/168 region. There are quite a few homes going up in that area and some even a little east of that region. A great majority of that territory is in OPS (although there is some BPS coverage around there as well).
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

And this is why three friends of ours all moved to the Elkhorn school district from from Stone Creek.  None wanted their kids going to Northwest.
Yeah horrible neighborhood.   :shock:
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Uffda wrote:
Yeah horrible neighborhood.   :shock:
Who said anything about the neighborhood?  They did not want to send their kids to a dropout factory.

http://www.all4ed.org/about_the_crisis/ ... earch_form
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Anonymous wrote:Have you been out on Ida or State Street in the 144th/156/168 region. There are quite a few homes going up in that area and some even a little east of that region. A great majority of that territory is in OPS (although there is some BPS coverage around there as well).
Therein lies the problem so many school districts face.  With dwindling populations of school age children in existing areas, they may not see an overall increase to the number of students.  However, they do see a shift of where the students live.  This leads to one of two "solutions:"  either bus a ton of kids from areas with a lot of school age children (high transportation costs) or build new schools.  Most chose number two and now have way too many schools, eating up tons of their budget.  The DC school district just recently closed a lot of their schools and, despite the uproar, has seen reduced costs and increases in results.

I don't know the answer, but know a lot of people don't like taking their kids to a school 5-8 miles away that appears to only specialize in having students drop out.
trackit

Sh*t to hit the fan

Post by trackit »

I have a kid who is a fifth grader at Buffet which just won an award for being one of the top 16 middle schools in the country.  These parents are uber involved with the school.  When OPS starts busing all this kids to the sh*thole Northwest High School their is going to be a rebellion.  Every parent I know in my neighborhood is making plans to move before their kids reach high school age.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps your kid can help with the choice of "their" over "there".

Just sayin'...   :roll:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If these parents are so involved you would think they would know they can apply to attend any of the OPS schools based on their children's strengths in the classroom.  Central for English, North for science ect.  Don't forget that many of Buffet's students themselves are bussed to this top 16 school.

Your starting to sound like a MPS parent.  :;):
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

How are these parents uber involved?  Couldn't they become just as involved in a high school like NW where their child could go?

Don't forget that many of Buffet's students themselves are bussed to this top 16 school.
Most of the students who attend Buffett live within the Buffett school boundaries. There are students that opt to come to Buffett but their number is small given the total population of around 1400 students.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wouldn't say it is small there is a fairly large number of bussed students for it location.  I would venture to say it is one of the most bussed middle schools in OPS.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

oh i didnt say there wasn't bussed in students. I said the major part of the student body belongs in buffett's attendance area. They get bussed becomes they live outside area deemed to be walkable by OPS. There is a small percentage that choose to come in as magnet students.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Uffda wrote:oh i didnt say there wasn't bussed in students. I said the major part of the student body belongs in buffett's attendance area. They get bussed becomes they live outside area deemed to be walkable by OPS. There is a small percentage that choose to come in as magnet students.
Ehh they turn kids away every year a lot choose to go there.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

go on the ops website and look at a map for the buffett territory you will see why there are lots of busses. There is only so much room for Magnet students ie. children outside the buffett attendance area and it is a small percentage of the whole - the rest are 'neighborhood' students.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was wrong about being the most they are basically equal to each other magnet, but it is more than you think 50 students of each grade are bussed from outside the schools territory.  So if there is about 300 in a grade(guessing I couldn't find exact numbers) that would mean 16 almost 17 percent are bussed in.  I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, but I find that to be a pretty considerable number.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I asked a friend today that works at Buffett , she told me they have only slots for 25 magnet students per grade level. She said there use to be more but with Buffett's neighborhood population growing they had to cut back the number they could accept.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hmm I suppose the facts I found were a bit out of date.  I should of asked my mom I suppose, she works there too.
guesty

Multi-Cultural Flight from NW Omaha

Post by guesty »

I just sold my house in North West Omaha and closed on a new house in Elkhorn to avoid having to send my kids to Northwest High School.  I know of at least 4 more families who have moved out of OPS to Elkhorn, or Millard schools for the same reason.  Two of the families where White, one was Black and one was Asian, all of them said their number one reason for moving was they didn't want their kids going to Northwest High School.

OPS should build a new High School out in this area rather than trying send these kids down to their failing schools, to balance out the test scores of all of the poor kids that OPS is failing to provide a decent education to.

Post by Guest »

We pulled our kids out for the same reason.  We moved them to Concordia Academy and then Concordia Jr./Sr.  It was easier than moving.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Not sure what difference building a new school would make as it would be open to all students in OPS. Also taxpayers would be screaming as there is no need for a new high school based on school populations.

The moving part is interesting as I know families who still live in OPS boundaries but there kids are going to Millard schools.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrdwhsr wrote:So....Omaha North, Millard North, Omaha Northwest, Westside, Bellevue West, Millard West...what to call the new school -- North by Northwest? With a course in Cary Grant movies? :;):
Nancy Sebring Magnet High School for Electronic Communications?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard about a third Elkhorn High School in the plans - anyone know about this?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:I heard about a third Elkhorn High School in the plans - anyone know about this?

Yes. When I interviewed there (obviously did not get the job), they mentioned a new High School was in the works.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

...Because they want to stay Class B in Sports?

Do they have land yet?

Post by Guest »

Coyote wrote:...Because they want to stay Class B in Sports?

Do they have land yet?

Elkhorn wants to stay class B so more of the kids get to participate.   Good on them.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Coyote wrote:...Because they want to stay Class B in Sports?

Do they have land yet?
I was thinking 180 fort but now that I start typing that may be an elementary and a middle.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I was at the dedication of one of Elkhorn's new Elementary schools.  A Elkhorn School District Board Member said that they project that at current growth rates in the district's population grows they will be building a lot of new schools in the near future.  

He said in 15 years the Elkhorn Public School System will have

19 Elementary Schools - currently there are 9 with three that opened this year,
7 Middle Schools - currently there are 3 with one under construction for next year
4 High Schools - currently there are 2